Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 Sci/med discussions only

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I heard something on the radio today that made a ton of sense to me, we are experiencing Munchausen by proxy on a National level in regards to Covid. These dem governors and mayors are basically Dee Dee Blanchard and we’re all Gypsy Rose.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FYI. Makes sense and something I'd considered as possible value to getting the flu shot this season:

A Flu Shot Might Reduce Coronavirus Infections, Early Research Suggests

Hospital workers who got vaccinated were significantly less likely to develop COVID than those who did not

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...arch-suggests/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Hope all goes well for her. If your kids are born with three eyes, though, you know what caused it...
    Well, yeah - Donald Trump of course.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    FYI. Makes sense and something I'd considered as possible value to getting the flu shot this season:

A Flu Shot Might Reduce Coronavirus Infections, Early Research Suggests

Hospital workers who got vaccinated were significantly less likely to develop COVID than those who did not

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...arch-suggests/
    I read the article and the only thing I would caution is that my trust in the "medical establishment" (or any "Establishment" for that matter) is lacking these days given the likes of that little turd Fauci and his ilk. This might be a good way, in their minds, to get people to take the flu vaccine who might not otherwise. I do NOT put anything past them at this point.

Sorry (not!), but I'm a bit jaded.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    New study showing real promise with convalescent plasma and Covid:

Significantly decreased mortality in a large cohort of COVID-19 patients transfused early with convalescent plasma containing high titer anti-SARS-CoV-2 spike protein IgG

ABSTRACT

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) convalescent plasma has emerged as a promising therapy and has been granted emergency use authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

We recently reported results from interim analysis of a propensity-score matched study suggesting that early treatment of COVID-19 patients with convalescent plasma containing high titer anti-spike protein receptor binding domain (RBD) IgG significantly decreases mortality. We here present results from 60-day follow up of our cohort of 351 transfused hospitalized patients.

Prospective determination of ELISA anti-RBD IgG titer facilitated selection and transfusion of the highest titer units available. Retrospective analysis by the Ortho VITROS IgG assay revealed a median signal/cutoff (S/C) ratio of 24.0 for transfused units, a value far exceeding the recently FDA-required cutoff of 12.0 for designation of high titer convalescent plasma.

With respect to altering mortality, our analysis identified an optimal window of 44 hours post-hospitalization for transfusing COVID-19 patients with high titer convalescent plasma. In the aggregate, the analysis confirms and extends our previous preliminary finding that transfusion of COVID-19 patients soon after hospitalization with high titer anti-spike protein RBD IgG present in convalescent plasma significantly reduces mortality.

Full Paper

https://ajp.amjpathol.org/article/S0...89-2/fulltext?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    ----------

Feedback Score
    Game changer:

Pfizer and German partner BioNTech SE are the first drugmakers to release successful data from a large-scale clinical trial of a coronavirus vaccine. Over 90% effective and no serious side-effects. Seeking U.S. authorization this month for emergency use of the vaccine.

DOW premarket trading up a mere 1,500 points...

More here: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...didate-against
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 11-09-20 at 07:23.

Feedback Score
    The particulars of Pfizer’s vaccine will make this effort even more complex. The vaccine, developed with the German company BioNTech, has to be stored at around minus 70 degrees Celsius (minus 94 Fahrenheit) until shortly before it is injected.

Will this greatly complicate matters?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    The particulars of Pfizer’s vaccine will make this effort even more complex. The vaccine, developed with the German company BioNTech, has to be stored at around minus 70 degrees Celsius (minus 94 Fahrenheit) until shortly before it is injected.

Will this greatly complicate matters?
    No serious issues with the ultra cold storage. Many academic, research or pharmaceutical organizations have the right conditions. The short version is many vaccines have specialized storage requirements around temperature, so the medical system is already primed to handle one-off scenarios. The COVID vaccine administering will be more difficult than normal flu vaccine by quite a bit, but that is half due to the logistical issues and half due to the emergency authorization paperwork.

Specific to the Pfizer vaccine, I started to be in various planning discussions around the ultra-cold storage issues in late September or so. There was a national level survey of freezer capacity and of dry ice manufacturing done well ahead of the notional Nov. 1 date all the states were told to be ready. The Moderna vaccine is slightly less onerous to handle, but still complicated.

There will be some challenges in rural areas with Pfizer in particular, but they have thought through a lot of issues - custom containers, dry ice, telecom connectivity, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    -80C freezers are really common and compact. As another poster stated, the -70C temp can be reached by dry ice. The issue with the mRNA vaccine will be rural countries, not so much the US/Canada. My laboratory has at least 10 of these freezers. We use them to store animal DNA samples long-term.

Anyone doubting this virus is real, or some plot by one party or another is really just living in another world at this point. The virus does not care what your political affiliation is.
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 11-12-20 at 17:32.

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast