Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 Sci/med discussions only

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Deleted as this post didn’t seem to fit what Will was trying to form this thread to be.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 04-15-20 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    I've heard anecdotally that the new rapid test (is there more than one?) is giving a lot of false negatives. Also, the the highly vaunted South Korean test was only catching 70% of cases? That is really hard to use as a tool, you are getting close to coin tossing. I guess that is why you need two negative tests to ensure that you don't have it.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I've heard anecdotally that the new rapid test (is there more than one?) is giving a lot of false negatives. Also, the the highly vaunted South Korean test was only catching 70% of cases? That is really hard to use as a tool, you are getting close to coin tossing. I guess that is why you need two negative tests to ensure that you don't have it.
    We developed our own in-house RTAT test we used initially for both high-probability patients and employee PUIs; now we just use it for the employees. Highly sensitive with high fidelity, like >90% accuracy.

Feedback Score
    I would be interested to see just how many Lupus or RA patients who routinely take hydroxychloroquine have become critical with COVID-19. Now I'm not sure how the dosage is for those folks as compared to the dosage specifically for COVID-19 but if they have a "maintenance level" in their system I wonder if it helps. No doubt someone is looking at this.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    We developed our own in-house RTAT test we used initially for both high-probability patients and employee PUIs; now we just use it for the employees. Highly sensitive with high fidelity, like >90% accuracy.
    You are fortunate at your facility. At mine they won't test employees. If you show symptoms you go home and self-quarantine. If you want a test your PCP needs to order it. Only patients get tested here (which is a bunch of crap).

Only thing I can speculate is that if you are sent home and do not get a test (therefore no positive results) they don't have to pay you that extra two weeks sick leave that doesn't come out of your PTO balance (it's on you at that point). However, if you get your PCP to do a test and it's positive then they have to pay you for being quarantined.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-16-20 at 07:40.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Are there any updates on the medicine that has been tried? The anti-malarial and anti- viral?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Are there any updates on the medicine that has been tried? The anti-malarial and anti- viral?
    We aren't doing the antimalarial/antibiotic combo, but we are using remdesivir (which we also use for ebola, SARS, and MERS). I can ask and let you know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    We aren't doing the antimalarial/antibiotic combo, but we are using remdesivir (which we also use for ebola, SARS, and MERS). I can ask and let you know.
    Interesting.....Remdesivir is expensive as hell right? At what point are they using it, i.e. upon admission to a general bed or when they start circling the drain and are ready for ICU?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any information on possible reinfection? Since there are multiple strains can you catch it more than once?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    Anyone have any information on possible reinfection? Since there are multiple strains can you catch it more than once?
    So far doesn't seem to be. People have been tested positive after recovering but there is a rather large failure rate for the tests and it seems that those who really did test positive again we're not reinfected but instead the virus was dormant

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast