Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 Sci/med discussions only

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Which makes one think there’s something funky about the data reporting here in the US, or the general health and well-being of the average American is relatively abysmal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think both likely contribute. America has an overwhelming number of obese and diabetic people, two things that have been shown to be big issues with a rough covid infection. The data is, and has been trash though. South Korea, for example, was on top of things and got testing rolled out quick. Meanwhile it was still very difficult to get a covid test in the US. I had a friend who had a really rough go with covid early on and wasn’t able to get tested for a long time after some really bad symptoms and even then it came back negative. Doctors said that there are a lot of false negative tests and that it was 100% covid by the symptoms.

I think testing is more accurate now but it’s still an issue actually getting a test. This is one of the main reasons why I think countries like Japan and SK had things under control much better. People were able to get tested and they self isolated better if they popped. What boggles my mind is how this hasn’t just devastated countries like India where sanitation is not exactly a priority. Maybe that lack of sanitation boosted their immune systems or something. Unfortunately for us, I think it’s past the point where just fixing testing is going to be the thing that helps the most. If we had been on top of that early on, before it spread, I think it would be a totally different situation right now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    With matching population densities why have countries like Japan and Taiwan fared so much better? What are they doing that we are not? Philippines as well.

Japan total cases at just over 20k and deaths at less than 1k
    Taiwan total cases at just over 450 cases and 7 deaths
    Philippines total cases just over 50k and less than 1,400 deaths.
    Just a guess but maybe lifestyle has at least something to do with it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Which makes one think there’s something funky about the data reporting here in the US, or the general health and well-being of the average American is relatively abysmal.

The data reporting is, with all due respect, ****ing horrendous.

Our institution gave up on federal and even state numbers in April, going on in-house data-crunching.

The next set of data in which to pay attention: the death lag. Our hospital, and true of almost all of them in the state admitting COVID patients, is seeing the highest number yet of admits; many are seriously sick.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

Our institution gave up on federal and even state numbers in April, going on in-house data-crunching.

The next set of data in which to pay attention: the death lag. Our hospital, and true of almost all of them in the state admitting COVID patients, is seeing the highest number yet of admits; many are seriously sick.
    It seems comparable to a bad flu season for non-immunocompromised folks then. As for the data everyone from the fed on down has lied about it from the start it seems. Can’t imagine why....

Can we have our country back now?

I’m being rhetorical.

Feedback Score
    Dade county Florida just reported a stunning 33% positive testing rate. In contrast, New York is having difficulty finding even a 1% positive rate, and New Jersey is close to the same. I'm sure some would like to attribute it to the leadership of Cuomo and Murphy, but I think it has more to do with COVID having already ripped though NY/NJ resulting in increased effects of herd immunity, while other states that had not been hit hard are now getting it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Dade county Florida just reported a stunning 33% positive testing rate. In contrast, New York is having difficulty finding even a 1% positive rate, and New Jersey is close to the same. I'm sure some would like to attribute it to the leadership of Cuomo and Murphy, but I think it has more to do with COVID having already ripped though NY/NJ resulting in increased effects of herd immunity, while other states that had not been hit hard are now getting it.
    Ok but positive infection rates have little utility if they’re not compared something else.

Feedback Score
    Ok but positive infection rates have little utility if they’re not compared something else.
    If you mean that the spread rate doesn't much matter if the fatality rate is low and hospitals are not driven to over capacity, then yes I agree.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest mistakes during this outbreak was to shut down the entire country at once just because New York and New Jersey were experiencing severe numbers. Not only did it create an unnecessary nationwide economic meltdown, but it also created an unnecessary backlog of demand for hospital services at the same time many states are now experiencing high COVID infections/hospitalizations. Instead of government helping to prevent hospital overcrowding across America, they have done the opposite. I remember saying at the time the nationwide lockdown was nuts, and that Cuomo would have never locked down New York because Tennessee was having a severe outbreak.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

Is that what you are seeing? From what I have heard, more are getting the disease, but more are recovering and not getting as seriously affected. Interesting.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Is that what you are seeing? From what I have heard, more are getting the disease, but more are recovering and not getting as seriously affected. Interesting.
    We're seeing the same "proportions" as before, but a lot more of them. So, we're seeing more "sick". Alarmingly we're also seeing more "sick" people not in the typical cohort; ie, younger and healthier.

We'll know more in a month or two with the death lag. If the proportions remain the same, we'll see a LOT of people die. If the deaths stay low and a higher proportion get better, we'll have a better grasp of 'true' death rates and M&M.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Good read. Outside my lane but I'd only add that note transitioning from type L to type H appears to have inflammation (cytokine storm?), and that aspect needs to be addressed asap in the type L person to prevent their transition to type H, and where perhaps a serious treatment gap exists and opportunity lost.

That's my non medical opinion. These are my thoughts on cytokine storm and inflammation due to possible massive release of iron ions and other factors:

https://brinkzone.com/life-saving-st...complications/
    Just updated the above article.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast