Page 70 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 Sci/med discussions only

Feedback Score
    Excess deaths are somewhat inexact on an individual basis, but sustained on the macro level. In other words, you do see the forest if don’t overly focus on the trees.

The same process is used to determine the death toll from natural disasters. In 2012 Tropical Storm Sandy, the excess deaths in New York State were determined to be 53. Two deaths came from a young couple out walking their dog, who were crushed to death by a falling tree limb hours after the storm ended. The cause of death wasn’t rain or wind, drowning or exposure, but ultimately, gravity. They still were considered storm-related deaths. https://gothamist.com/news/young-cou...rk-sandy-surge

As Will noted, a majority of Americans may have comorbidities. Relative COVID, I was diagnosed with my first COVID-risk chronic medical condition at age 11-12 and picked up a few more since then. Many Americans will live 30-40 years with a variety of diagnosed conditions that function as comorbidities. I have carded 30+ years myself so far and am planning to survive COVID too.

What is remarkable is the elevated death rate. The numbers aren’t being fudged - COVID is killing lots of people in excess of a traditional baseline. Some of those deaths might have been avoided if voters in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania didn’t vote for Democratic Governors, but as noted “old people die”. It is just a lot of older Americans are dying of COVID-related complications and a small number of younger, sometimes healthy, people are dying of flu-like symptoms in the middle of the summer, which is rare.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still have to continue stopping freedom of assembly, stopping church services, wearing masks, shutting down businesses, and so on even after the vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/24/healt...day/index.html

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    One of my in laws was stunned when I told her Civil was never "going away". She believed that once a vaccine is available, it would just dissappear. I compared it to the flu, we have a flu vaccine and flu is not gone.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Riddle me this:

If/when a vaccine becomes available, there will be a push to browbeat or force everyone to take it. What I don't understand is if you have gotten the vaccine, why are you worried whether I got one or not? I mean, you should be good-to-go then, right? Why would me choosing to not get a vaccine worry you at that point?

Same can be said about the flu vaccine also.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Still have to continue stopping freedom of assembly, stopping church services, wearing masks, shutting down businesses, and so on even after the vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/24/healt...day/index.html
    Wow that’s totally shocking. It’s not like most haven’t been calling that from the start. Anyone that didn’t see this coming is a ****ing moron.
    There are residents in the neighboring community that are asking the city Council to extend the mask mandate indefinitely. God damn fools!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some interesting info:

The CDC's Latest Antibody Data Confirm Huge Interstate Differences in COVID-19 Fatality Rates
    The findings suggest that people infected in Connecticut were 10 times as likely to die as people infected in Utah or Oregon.

https://reason.com/2020/10/20/the-cd...atality-rates/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Riddle me this:

If/when a vaccine becomes available, there will be a push to browbeat or force everyone to take it. What I don't understand is if you have gotten the vaccine, why are you worried whether I got one or not? I mean, you should be good-to-go then, right? Why would me choosing to not get a vaccine worry you at that point?

There's not a single vaccine that is mandatory. I can't see how they would enforce that. But employers can make it mandatory, and it can be tied into any .gov funding, so there's where we'll see it happen. I guarantee that where I work, it'll be mandatory within 3 months of our institution getting it.

If I get a vaccine, I don't give a rat's ass if you get one for the very reason you mentioned. Actually, I don't care if you get one or not, or any vaccine. That's up to you and your rationale.

Feedback Score
    Riddle me this:

It's a bit premature to speak to the effectiveness of a COVID vaccine that hasn't been released.

As far as flu vaccinations... understand they're not 100% effective. Mayo Clinic suggests that flu vaccines are about 50% effective for those who get them. Lots of folks have compromised immune systems and some cannot take a vaccine, and some vaccines miss the mark for a particular strain. While far less than 100% effective, the more who are vaccinated and their immune systems effectively knock out the particular strain of influenza when exposed, the fewer will be blowing their viral load on others, fewer infections, fewer hospitalizations and all the rest. Generally speaking, the more who are vaccinated the better.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20048000
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 10-21-20 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    It's a bit premature to speak to the effectiveness of a COVID vaccine that hasn't been released.

As far as flu vaccinations... understand they're not 100% effective. Mayo Clinic suggests that flu vaccines are about 50% effective for those who get them. Lots of folks have compromised immune systems and some cannot take a vaccine, and some vaccines miss the mark for a particular strain. While far less than 100% effective, the more who are vaccinated and their immune systems effectively knock out the particular strain of influenza when exposed, the fewer will be blowing their viral load on others, fewer infections, fewer hospitalizations and all the rest. Generally speaking, the more who are vaccinated the better.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20048000
    Lets not forget however that those with a compromised immune system that get the flu also the most likely to end up with serious compilations and die. Those with compromised immunity, other than some very specific reasons, encouraged to get a flu shot each season for that reason.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Riddle me this:

The Greatest Generation didn’t whine about their feelz on the World Wide Web. However, every non-complaint individual was a potential deadly vector.
    The Salk Vaccine was much riskier vaccine than any of the present candidates.

2A409E1D-D1BD-4AB7-B2DA-F011D504549B.jpeg
    49743715-1234-4A73-8B76-AB734294EC6F.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 70 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast