Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 327280818283 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 Sci/med discussions only

Feedback Score
    So for the last year (following my knee replacements) I have taken an 81mg low-dose aspirin every day. It should be well-disseminated through my system at this point. Would that be a "plus" if I was unfortunate enough to contract COVID?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FYI:

How effective are face coverings in reducing transmission of COVID-19?

Abstract

In the COVID–19 pandemic, among the more controversial issues is the use of face coverings. To address this we show that the underlying physics ensures particles with diameters ≳1 µm are efficiently filtered out by a simple cotton or surgical mask. For particles in the submicron range the efficiency depends on the material properties of the masks, though generally the filtration efficiency in this regime varies between 30 to 60 % and multi-layered cotton masks are expected to be comparable to surgical masks.

Respiratory droplets are conventionally divided into coarse droplets (≳5–10 µm) responsible for droplet transmission and aerosols (≳ 5–10 µm) responsible for airborne transmission. Masks are thus expected to be highly effective at preventing droplet transmission, with their effectiveness limited only by the mask fit, compliance and appropriate usage. By contrast, knowledge of the size distribution of bioaerosols and the likelihood that they contain virus is essential to understanding their effectiveness in preventing airborne transmission. We argue from literature data on SARS-CoV-2 viral loads that the finest aerosols (≳ 1 µm) are unlikely to contain even a single virion in the majority of cases; we thus expect masks to be effective at reducing the risk of airborne transmission in most settings.

Full Paper:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...92v1.full-text
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So for the last year (following my knee replacements) I have taken an 81mg low-dose aspirin every day. It should be well-disseminated through my system at this point. Would that be a "plus" if I was unfortunate enough to contract COVID?
    Got a buddy, mid-40s, with a bad case of COVID. He should have been hospitalized due to oxygen levels alone if not for the general overcrowding (bad timing on his part). I expect he will be out of work for at least a month until he can return to Work from Home.

He is taking 81mg of aspirin on doctor’s direction to reduce the clotting risk, along with a slew of other drugs. My working assumption is any moderate anti clotting approach, under medical direction, is wise these days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Got a buddy, mid-40s, with a bad case of COVID. He should have been hospitalized due to oxygen levels alone if not for the general overcrowding (bad timing on his part). I expect he will be out of work for at least a month until he can return to Work from Home.

He is taking 81mg of aspirin on doctor’s direction to reduce the clotting risk, along with a slew of other drugs. My working assumption is any moderate anti clotting approach, under medical direction, is wise these days.
    Although COVID wasn't why I started taking the low-dose aspirin, it can't help but be a side benefit.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Although COVID wasn't why I started taking the low-dose aspirin, it can't help but be a side benefit.
    The half-life of an 81mg ASA is about 20 minutes, but platelets cannot generate new COX for the duration of that platelet, which is about 10 days. As an agent to prevent clots it is marginal-to-OK in efficacy; for existing clots, it does nothing (it's function is to make platelets less sticky and less prone to sticking and clotting). But it's cheap and it's readily available, and safer than anticoagulants/blood-thinners. Aside from allergy and side effects, there's no real down-side to aspirin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any thoughts?

Mentions ivermectin is life-saving

https://youtu.be/Tq8SXOBy-4w

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Any thoughts?

I'm tracking. Looks very promising. Most recent review paper I'm aware of:

Review of the Emerging Evidence Demonstrating the
    Efficacy of Ivermectin in the Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID

https://osf.io/wx3zn/?fbclid=IwAR1D8...RBIbkKYwCHnUbQ
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Will,

I somehow missed or forgot that the first post of this thread was about the EVMS protocol.

I found it on April 7 and started sending it out to people I know. Every doc I know started using it to some degree for prophylaxis and treatment then. All of my family members and friends started using it for prophylaxis. Compliance has waned for many over time. They get a close contact scare and resume, then they discontinue until the next scare.

BTW, I absolutely loved the Vacation down South books!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashAxe View Post
    Will,

I somehow missed or forgot that the first post of this thread was about the EVMS protocol.

I found it on April 7 and started sending it out to people I know. Every doc I know started using it to some degree for prophylaxis and treatment then. All of my family members and friends started using it for prophylaxis. Compliance has waned for many over time. They get a close contact scare and resume, then they discontinue until the next scare.
    In my non med pro opinion, should be SOC nation wide. Don't even wanna think of the lives saved if it was. Very complimentary to that is my article HERE

Quote Originally Posted by CrashAxe View Post
    BTW, I absolutely loved the Vacation down South books!!
    Thanx! Did you read the spin off, Old And Angry?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Any thoughts?

The doctor makes a strong argument for the use of Ivermectin in the video. When I mentioned it to the wife, she told me that is what is given to her horses to kill ringworms and parasites inside the body. She was unaware it was safe for humans.

I asked a doctor I know about prescribing Ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. He told me it was prescribed for humans to treat other illnesses in some instances, but he was unaware of Dr. Kory's study of it's use to treat COVID-19. I would like to see it considered locally, but I suspect the FDA and drug companies will push against the approval of it's use due to it's relatively low cost compared to other drugs on the market.

I would like to see more data on which people have the most difficult time recovering from COVID-19. Out of the people locally who have had it, a few people who were in above average physical condition experienced worse symptoms and it took them longer to recover. A local man in his 40's who runs marathons was in bad shape for 3 months. Another man in his early 30's who competes in Iron Man competitions was down for 3 weeks late October to early November and he is still having health issues.

The strangest case of a fit person who was hit hard by COVID-19 was a 62 year old man I trained with back in 1988 and worked with over the years. He was in the best physical condition of anyone I know. He did not drink or smoke, he ate a healthy diet and he swam 2 to 3 miles a day. He had no known underlying medical conditions and was the epitome of good health. He contracted COVID-19 mid October, was admitted to the hospital on October 24th and died December 12th. How can the disease kill a man so healthy when other people in average or poor health isolate in their homes and recover in 1 to 2 weeks? It has me stumped.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-24-20 at 23:51.
    Train 2 Win

Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 327280818283 LastLast