Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
Hey, I'm new here; but,

I built a couple of AR22s over the past few weeks, since there's nothing better to do than to either build ARs or shoot them.

Went through a few growing pains. This is what I've found. The plug is actually meant for the conversion, not a dedicated build, but I do run the plug. I've found that it not only keeps things where they're supposed to be, but it also helps to keep the bolt from battering your lower just above where the buffer tube screws in. I stuffed a rifle length spring in the tube of my .22 to keep max pressure on the plug.

As for any reliability kits, this is what I've found that I needed. I get all of this stuff from BoreBuddy.com Firing pin spring. I broke my first one at around 3000 rounds. A broken firing pin spring will cause your gun to go full auto. If you get any failures to fire and notice no hit on the primer, check the firing pin spring and have some on hand to replace it if necessary. As for the extractor springs, the stock springs suck. If your gun gets dirty or you get an out of size round, the stock spring won't pull it out. Bore Buddy has 500% extra power springs. These were a God send. The 200% springs were only marginally better, but the 500% springs will extract just about anything. Since I changed all of the springs in my personal AR22, the only malfunction I've had in the last 2000 rounds was a dud round. No jams or failures to extract.

Also a good idea to have a back up firing pin and extractor on hand. Either of these going out will ruin your day.

Another thing. Either buy a dedicated .22 charging handle, or modify one that you have laying around. I modified one. I just filled it with JB Weld and then used the tip of my finger to smooth it out and get the excess. Mine is filled about 3/4 of the way up. What you're trying to avoid is getting a casing stuck between the charging handle and bolt. This is a PITA when it happens.

Also, Right To Bear Arms has these little stick on adapters to put on Smith 15-22 mags to make them work with the CMMG/RTB kits. They are called "Catch22" adapters. Joe Bob's Outfitters has the mags for $15 each right now. I like the black dog mags, but my dad likes the 15-22 mags because he has arthritis and the 15-22 mags are easier to load for him.
When you say you are building ar22s, what does that mean? What bolt and barrel are you using?