Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 LR Upper - Pressure Plug?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

22 LR Upper - Pressure Plug?

I am going to pull the trigger (so to speak) on a barrel, bcg, and magazines to build a dedicated rimfire upper.

Is it worth the money to buy the polymer plug that fits into the receiver extention and applies forward pressure on the BCG?

The vendor I am planning to use sells a Bore Buddy reliability kit with the plug, CH insert, and springs for $26.50, which seems rather dear, considering I can buy a rimfire CH from them for $15.

Thank You

Andy

P.S. If a spare firing pin is a good thing to have, let me know please.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-16-20 at 10:53.

Feedback Score
    I used jb weld. I stuck a mechanical pencil in the inside. Fits perfectly! Then put jb weld on the outside and pushed it in. When finished carefully removed mechanical pencil and let dry. Zero problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am going to pull the trigger (so to speak) on a barrel, bcg, and magazines to build a dedicated rimfire upper.

Is it worth the money to buy the polymer plug that fits into the receiver extention and applies forward pressure on the BCG?

The vendor I am planning to use sells a Bore Buddy reliability kit with the plug, CH insert, and springs for $26.50, which seems rather dear, considering I can buy a rimfire CH from them for $15.

Thank You

Andy

Is this the product you have in question? : https://borebuddy.com/product/reliability-kit/
    Curious as well. Never heard of this, but I’ve been looking into putting together a .22 upper, so I’m interested in any recommendations as to best components/best practices for .22lr uppers.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    Is this the product you have in question? : https://borebuddy.com/product/reliability-kit/
    Curious as well. Never heard of this, but I’ve been looking into putting together a .22 upper, so I’m interested in any recommendations as to best components/best practices for .22lr uppers.
    That is the product, yes. If I bought it, it would be included in an order from a vendor, though.

My first rim fire upper build (in case it isn't obvious).

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    I used jb weld. I stuck a mechanical pencil in the inside. Fits perfectly! Then put jb weld on the outside and pushed it in. When finished carefully removed mechanical pencil and let dry. Zero problems.
    To be honest, I don't understand this post. I assume you are talking about filling the charging handle?

Andy

Feedback Score
    The gas port on the upper receiver. I jb welded the hole. Also did this with a 9mm upper.
    Last edited by monkeywrench; 04-16-20 at 09:49. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    The gas port on the upper receiver. I jb welded the hole. Also did this with a 9mm upper.
    I don’t think this is related to the OP’s question.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Thank You

Andy

I just completed my 22 build about a month ago. RTB barrel and bolt kit with the pencil barrel. Everything else is BCM. Not saying bcm makes it any better but thats the route I took. I ran that plug behind my bolt but found everytime I opened up the gun the plug was behind the pin. It must bounce back just enough to rotate so I saw no point in useing it. I went and bought a 1 inch wood rod and cut it down. Just sanded it till it was perfect and rounded the front edges so it has contact with the bolt.
    This thing runs everything I put in. I mean it eats it up. I love it. I have picked up an extra extractor and a couple fireing pins because of what other people have said they had problems with but I have not had any. Everything looks like day one, so I dont know if people are dryfireing to brake pins or what. I have 4,000 rounds roughly through mine with no issues. Spare parts dont hurt though. I also run the mag adapter and m&p 15/22 mags. Oh yea, I just filled all but about the front inch of the bcm charging handle with black silicone gasket maker. Works great and looks like the day I put it in there.
    Last edited by stevenravenscroft; 04-16-20 at 17:15.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenravenscroft View Post
    I just completed my 22 build about a month ago. RTB barrel and bolt kit with the pencil barrel. Everything else is BCM. Not saying bcm makes it any better but thats the route I took. I ran that plug behind my bolt but found everytime I opened up the gun the plug was behind the pin. It must bounce back just enough to rotate so I saw no point in useing it. I went and bought a 1 inch wood rod and cut it down. Just sanded it till it was perfect and rounded the front edges so it has contact with the bolt.
    This thing runs everything I put in. I mean it eats it up. I love it. I have picked up an extra extractor and a couple fireing pins because of what other people have said they had problems with but I have not had any. Everything looks like day one, so I dont know if people are dryfireing to brake pins or what. I have 4,000 rounds roughly through mine with no issues. Spare parts dont hurt though. I also run the mag adapter and m&p 15/22 mags. Oh yea, I just filled all but about the front inch of the bcm charging handle with black silicone gasket maker. Works great and looks like the day I put it in there.
    Thank you for the great info. I plan on running the RTB pencil barrel, mags, and bcg with a Sabre Defence upper and really janky full-float Mlok rail I have lying around. I can make a wood plug easily enough and have an extra CH and RTV. I will add the spare firing pin and extractor as cheap insurance.

Mine is planned to be a conversion upper for whichever AR lower I feel like throwing it on before I hit the range.

Thanks again!

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm seriously thinking about cutting the base off a carbine buffer and using the small diameter section as a plug. I can put a second plastic piece in the cut off end. I have 2 unemployed carbine buffers.

Andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast