Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 22 LR Upper - Pressure Plug?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The pressure plug really doesn't do anything for bolt bounce. It presses the bolt carrier group more firmly onto the barrel and hopefully reduces peening of the lower receiver and failures to fire/inconsistent ignition.

A bolt weight from cmmg or bore buddy will reduce bolt bounce.

Grab plenty of firing pin springs .
    Thanks for correcting me on this.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I had kind of an interesting day at the range today. I am shooting a dedicated .22 AR with a CMMG/RTB Bolt and 16" RTB barrel using Black Dog 15 rd mags. Ammunition was Aquila HV and trigger is standard "mil-spec".

I installed a Bore Buddy bolt weight and the gun doubled on the first round from a fully loaded mag twice in a row. I removed the bolt weight and the rifle was fine until it got a bit dirty. Right back to doubling on the first round from a fully loaded magazine. I started loading only 10 rounds and it was fine for the rest of the range session.

The loaded magazine caused enough drag on the bolt to prevent the hammer from cocking completely (not moving far enough to be caught by the disconnector, technically), so it was following the bolt and setting off the second round. It did not double for the rest of the magazine.

The lower is now dedicated to 22 lr and this was the lower's maiden voyage with the 22 lr upper. Would installing a lighter hammer spring help prevent the doubling?

I do not recall it doubling when I used it at least 2 of my other lowers.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-21-21 at 12:57.

Feedback Score
    Hello. Im new to the AR platform what is a pressure plug?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears4deblife89 View Post
    Hello. Im new to the AR platform what is a pressure plug?
    In a nutshell, its a cylinder that fits between the buffer and the rimfire bolt assy. It compresses the recoil spring and applies forward pressure to the bolt assy.

An example: https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-plug/

Andy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345