Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 LR Upper - Pressure Plug?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about cutting the base off a carbine buffer and using the small diameter section as a plug. I can put a second plastic piece in the cut off end. I have 2 unemployed carbine buffers.

Andy
    This 1 inch wood dowlrod painted black looks like it belongs in there though and works great. Waiting for Sunday to get it out is killin me. I've been getting out shooting it at least twice a week.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    I built a dedicated 22LR AR about three years ago, and some of these products seem new/weird to me. So please forgive my ignorance.

For the upper I used a CMMG railed flat top receiver with a low profile railed gas block, complete with bolt and barrel. I wanted to keep this similar to my 5.56 carbines, so I used a BCM lower parts kit, and Magpul furniture for the pistol grip and the butt stock. Hand guards were the USGI types (same as my carbines). I had a spare set of Troy BUIS that was supposed to go on a 9mm AR build, but since that build had an older EOTech I moved them over. The red dot was a Holosun. My carbines wear ACOGs and Aimpoints. I'm not that rich.

I got all the pieces together, and then based off of Internet research I ordered one of these:
    https://www.redi-mag.com/product/bet...azine-adaptor/

It just didn't want to work. I'm in California, so all of my builds start with stripped lowers. I tried a Stag, two different Rock Rivers, and a Spike's Tactical. I couldn't get the receiver halves closed. I'm a keyboard warrior, working with my hands isn't a strong point, but I whipped out the dremel and started grinding. Still nothing. Emailed the company, who wanted to issue me a refund, and I turned it down (this crap was my fault).

What did work for my 22 was this website:
    https://arcatch22.com/
    You have to use their bolt catch (this was already a dedicated 22LR build), but it's great. I use SW 15-22 mags with the shims they sell (and now they have a spacer that sits in the mag well so you don't have to shim every magazine). You get last round bolt hold open, and as long as I use quality 22LR ammo, it goes bang every time.

The first time I dragged it out to the range everything went well. There was a gentleman shooting in the next stall who looked at me funny, and then he said to himself "it's rimfire" (the CA assault weapons laws don't trigger for rimfire long guns).

It wasn't cheap, but it was effective. It works, and it's fun, and it's cheap, just like my 10/22.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Thanks for the catch22 info. I ordered a couple to try out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I received the parts and assembled the upper with a Nikon Black 1-4 optic.

Last edited by AndyLate; 04-26-20 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    So I'm seeing three mods here.

-The pressure plug
    -Filling the charging handle
    -Filling the gas tube hole in the upper

I'm not sure what the pressure plug is supposed to do? Increase the pressure on the back of the conversion kit because it is compressing the recoil spring? Seems to me that what you really need is something that is as long as the buffer tube and is solid. All the conversion kits I've seen recoil in their own length, so you don't need any movement. DOn't have one in front of me, but wouldn't the 22 conversion just fit up against the buffer retraining pin?anyways? Is there a slot like in a 223 BCG carrier?

Filling in the charging handle is a must in my book. My conversion would have all kinds of issues with extracted rounds getting hung up between the CH and the conversion. Filled it with some JB weld and eliminated the problem.

Filling the gas tube hole? Knock yourself out. DOn't see what that does.

CMMG conv upper from PSA- ugh, could be ugly.. has run pretty well for me since I:

1) Mod'd the CH handle channel
    2) put a boonie packer conversion in to run SW M&P15-22 mags.

Holosun on top. Really nice.

Get one of those 22 mag loaders, and it is soooo much fun practicing trigger control and transitions. Plus my boy and I can go through 600 rounds in an afternoon with out feeling guilty.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I just filled my CH with RTV, it's a little less permanent.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I just filled my CH with RTV, it's a little less permanent.

Andy
    Thats what I did, so I didnt have to dedicate a bcm charging handle. And if I go 556 I can clean it out. 4 or 5 thousand rounds and its holding up fine.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenravenscroft View Post
    Thats what I did, so I didnt have to dedicate a bcm charging handle. And if I go 556 I can clean it out. 4 or 5 thousand rounds and its holding up fine.
    I can confirm that it's fairly easy to clean out. I didn't create enough groove the first time so the bolt drug on it. Second time is the charm.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey, I'm new here; but,

I built a couple of AR22s over the past few weeks, since there's nothing better to do than to either build ARs or shoot them.

Went through a few growing pains. This is what I've found. The plug is actually meant for the conversion, not a dedicated build, but I do run the plug. I've found that it not only keeps things where they're supposed to be, but it also helps to keep the bolt from battering your lower just above where the buffer tube screws in. I stuffed a rifle length spring in the tube of my .22 to keep max pressure on the plug.

As for any reliability kits, this is what I've found that I needed. I get all of this stuff from BoreBuddy.com Firing pin spring. I broke my first one at around 3000 rounds. A broken firing pin spring will cause your gun to go full auto. If you get any failures to fire and notice no hit on the primer, check the firing pin spring and have some on hand to replace it if necessary. As for the extractor springs, the stock springs suck. If your gun gets dirty or you get an out of size round, the stock spring won't pull it out. Bore Buddy has 500% extra power springs. These were a God send. The 200% springs were only marginally better, but the 500% springs will extract just about anything. Since I changed all of the springs in my personal AR22, the only malfunction I've had in the last 2000 rounds was a dud round. No jams or failures to extract.

Also a good idea to have a back up firing pin and extractor on hand. Either of these going out will ruin your day.

Another thing. Either buy a dedicated .22 charging handle, or modify one that you have laying around. I modified one. I just filled it with JB Weld and then used the tip of my finger to smooth it out and get the excess. Mine is filled about 3/4 of the way up. What you're trying to avoid is getting a casing stuck between the charging handle and bolt. This is a PITA when it happens.

Also, Right To Bear Arms has these little stick on adapters to put on Smith 15-22 mags to make them work with the CMMG/RTB kits. They are called "Catch22" adapters. Joe Bob's Outfitters has the mags for $15 each right now. I like the black dog mags, but my dad likes the 15-22 mags because he has arthritis and the 15-22 mags are easier to load for him.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I went with a TacSol dedicated upper, and I have no idea what ANY of you are talking about.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast