Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR Upper - Pressure Plug?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Hey, I'm new here; but,

I built a couple of AR22s over the past few weeks, since there's nothing better to do than to either build ARs or shoot them.

Went through a few growing pains. This is what I've found. The plug is actually meant for the conversion, not a dedicated build, but I do run the plug. I've found that it not only keeps things where they're supposed to be, but it also helps to keep the bolt from battering your lower just above where the buffer tube screws in. I stuffed a rifle length spring in the tube of my .22 to keep max pressure on the plug.

As for any reliability kits, this is what I've found that I needed. I get all of this stuff from BoreBuddy.com Firing pin spring. I broke my first one at around 3000 rounds. A broken firing pin spring will cause your gun to go full auto. If you get any failures to fire and notice no hit on the primer, check the firing pin spring and have some on hand to replace it if necessary. As for the extractor springs, the stock springs suck. If your gun gets dirty or you get an out of size round, the stock spring won't pull it out. Bore Buddy has 500% extra power springs. These were a God send. The 200% springs were only marginally better, but the 500% springs will extract just about anything. Since I changed all of the springs in my personal AR22, the only malfunction I've had in the last 2000 rounds was a dud round. No jams or failures to extract.

Also a good idea to have a back up firing pin and extractor on hand. Either of these going out will ruin your day.

Another thing. Either buy a dedicated .22 charging handle, or modify one that you have laying around. I modified one. I just filled it with JB Weld and then used the tip of my finger to smooth it out and get the excess. Mine is filled about 3/4 of the way up. What you're trying to avoid is getting a casing stuck between the charging handle and bolt. This is a PITA when it happens.

Also, Right To Bear Arms has these little stick on adapters to put on Smith 15-22 mags to make them work with the CMMG/RTB kits. They are called "Catch22" adapters. Joe Bob's Outfitters has the mags for $15 each right now. I like the black dog mags, but my dad likes the 15-22 mags because he has arthritis and the 15-22 mags are easier to load for him.
    When you say you are building ar22s, what does that mean? What bolt and barrel are you using?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm using CMMG bolts and barrels. It just turned out that way. I was grabbing what I could find in stock. I managed to find one 9" barrel at Right to Bear Arms with the collar, so I used that to turn the AR that I was running a conversion in into a dedicated .22. My dad liked it so much that I gave it to him and built myself another....the bottom two are the .22s...https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYUCgivdYySPe6L19

I wound up having to swap parts around for my dad. He's 82 and has arthritis so light was the name of the game. I went with the ATI hybrid lower and Blade brace and tube. The free float tube was just something I had laying around. The whole thing weighs in at around 4.5lbs. He likes it a lot.

The one on the Spike's spider lower is mine. I found a killer deal on slick side uppers at MAS Defense for around $40 each, so I just used those to put these together. You can't see the barrel or muzzle device on this one. The handguard is too long at 10". I just wasn't thinking. I figured 9" barrel plus 2 inch muzzle device = 10" handguard. Totally forgot to figure how the .22 barrel fits into the receiver. Eh, I'll use it the next time I'm strapped for a handguard or barrel nut. I have a 7" rail coming from AR15handguards.com that should do nicely.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I took my newly assembled 16" dedicated upper to an indoor range and finally got a chance to shoot it.

Accuracy and function were good firing CCI Mini Mag, Federal Champion, and Federal Auto Match. I had one mis-feed with Mini Mag early on and one "light" Auto Match round that did not cycle the action. I shot around 200 rounds in total.

I'm pretty happy with the RTB bolt, barrel, and RTB magazines.

The lower I used has a LaRue 2 stage trigger, for what it's worth.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-03-20 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do a lot of shooting at 100 yards with my 9". Mostly golf balls. The CCI Standard Velocity work really wells at that range. I haven't had a chance to go beyond 100 yet.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I hit the range today and fired @ 600 rounds of CCI Mini Mag, Aguila Super Extra HV copper plated, Federal Champion, and Federal Auto Match.

Ironically, the only issues were with CCI Mini Mag ammo, which had a few failures to feed.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-15-20 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A little update on my dedicated .22. My “frame” as they call it, cracked at the weld at around the 10k round mark. I called cmmg and sent them a picture. They were surprised, but no questions about how old it was or whether I was the original owner. Placed the call on Thursday and had a new one in my hands on Monday. I think that’s outstanding service.

As for accuracy I’m getting the most consistency out of cci standard velocity and Aguila standard velocity at 100 yards. For cheap plinking I’ve been running Aguila 38gr hollow points and at plinking distances it’s accurate enough to hit shot shell hulls.

Feedback Score
    A little update on my dedicated .22. My “frame” as they call it, cracked at the weld at around the 10k round mark. I called cmmg and sent them a picture. They were surprised, but no questions about how old it was or whether I was the original owner. Placed the call on Thursday and had a new one in my hands on Monday. I think that’s outstanding service.

As for accuracy I’m getting the most consistency out of cci standard velocity and Aguila standard velocity at 100 yards. For cheap plinking I’ve been running Aguila 38gr hollow points and at plinking distances it’s accurate enough to hit shot shell hulls.
    Do you mind posting the pic, or giving a little more detail on the weld that cracked in terms of location?

Feedback Score
    ....I called CMMG and sent them a picture. They were surprised, but no questions about how old it was or whether I was the original owner. Placed the call on Thursday and had a new one in my hands on Monday. I think that’s outstanding service....
    I agree, please post a pic.

I am also very impressed with their warranty service. I had a part on my CMMG 22lr conversion crack and they sent out a new replacement part even though it was fairly old. That's why I purchased 2 barrels (AR22 and an AR9) from them this year, one of those directly from them.

Thanks for this thread, it helped to make some decisions on purchasing products for my new AR22 build (getting a Snow White Cerakote right now actually, well on the AR9 build also).
    Last edited by Skunk Pilot; 05-24-20 at 22:33. Reason: Grammar
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    Do you mind posting the pic, or giving a little more detail on the weld that cracked in terms of location?
    Sorry it took me so long, but here's a link to a pic of the crack that I sent to CMMG...https://photos.app.goo.gl/j9bzUXWaipr8fmky6

The new one they sent me is going strong. I'm at about 4K rounds on it and just got another case of ammo in, so I'll keep you informed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk Pilot View Post
    I agree, please post a pic.

I am also very impressed with their warranty service. I had a part on my CMMG 22lr conversion crack and they sent out a new replacement part even though it was fairly old. That's why I purchased 2 barrels (AR22 and an AR9) from them this year, one of those directly from them.

Thanks for this thread, it helped to make some decisions on purchasing products for my new AR22 build (getting a White Snow Cerakote right now actually).
    Was that AR9 a delayed blow back? If so, how does it run. I've been itching to build a 9mm and the delayed blowback system has me interested. It's either going to be a 9mm or a 7.62x39 build on a Palmetto lower that accepts AK mags, but I'm leaning toward a 9mm right now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast