Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR Upper - Pressure Plug?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Sorry it took me so long, but here's a link to a pic of the crack that I sent to CMMG...https://photos.app.goo.gl/j9bzUXWaipr8fmky6

The new one they sent me is going strong. I'm at about 4K rounds on it and just got another case of ammo in, so I'll keep you informed.
    Think you, Tony

That was the only place I could think of where a weld would crack on the frame. Good on CMMG for replacing it.

Andy

P.S. Wow-you burn a lot of 22 lr!
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-24-20 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just got back from the range. The .22 build I did for my dad now has about 7K rounds through it and suffered a broken firing pin today. It snapped right at the step. Good thing I anticipated this and had a spare.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Was that AR9 a delayed blow back? If so, how does it run. I've been itching to build a 9mm and the delayed blowback system has me interested. It's either going to be a 9mm or a 7.62x39 build on a Palmetto lower that accepts AK mags, but I'm leaning toward a 9mm right now.
    The AR9 is a dedicated New Frontier Armory lower and a New Frontier Armory upper with the LRBHO built into the upper as from what I've read is the best way to go. Haven't shot either of them yet since they're both new. Got a Nickel Boron Stern Defense AR9 BCG which after using my Fail Zero 5.56 NiB one, most likely that's all I'll ever purchase since they are so smooth. There is another NiB one from Taccom3g

Getting both the AR22 and AR9 in Snow White Cerakote done right now. So both are brand new builds that I've purchased the parts for over a few years (most within Covid-19 though). Well the AR22 CMMG 22lr Conversion will be the only used part for both rifle builds.

I purchased the BoreBuddy reliability kit, CMMG AR22 charging handle, 22 LR Bolt Extractor Replacement Kit, CMMG Bolt Collar and those stick-on Catch22 S&W 15-22 Magazine Adapter for Standard AR Lower (fit great in my regular AR15 lower). Both got CMC 2.5 lb. curved triggers, I have the CMC 3.5 lb flat trigger one in my standard AR15 that I love. Have constant neck, hand.... problems so really looking forward to the 2.5 lb. curved triggers.

I'm really excited to shoot the AR22, hopefully both will be done in 1.5 weeks tops (they had to order even more White Cerakote). We'll see. May have to go up north to start swimming again if pools don't open up in gyms soon enough in MN. If they don't, I may have to leave before both my builds are done. Pools were supposed to be open by June 1st, but that changed a week ago. I'm really starting to notice that I haven't been swimming. So after that news started looking into wetsuits to be able to swim up north (about 3 hours north of Twin Cities, so too cold right now without a wetsuit). I'm really, really want to wait for my rifles to get finished.
    But the way it's been going, if I don't start swimming by June 15th or for sure June 21st, I'm afraid I won't be physically well enough to want to go shooting, home exercise is not even the close to the same for me. Hell before the Covid-19 shutdown I went 420+ days in a row swimming. Then missed one day and another 340 days or so straight ((gym pool, lake or drive to hotel if up north (PITA)).
    Last edited by Skunk Pilot; 05-24-20 at 23:16.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Think you, Tony

That was the only place I could think of where a weld would crack on the frame. Good on CMMG for replacing it.

Andy

P.S. Wow-you burn a lot of 22 lr!
    Yeah, what can I say? I LOVE to shoot and I practice a LOT. I once commented that having an AR22 as a training aid was not really a good idea. Yeah, I'm an idiot. I had shot them before, but never owned one. Now that I have one and am putting it to use, I can see the benefits. I have my AR15 and AR22 setup alike. Same brace, same triggers, same controls and pretty much the same optics setups. Practicing reloads, transitions, trigger work, etc. on the cheap is a blast. I average a brick every range visit. I do a case of 5000 rounds every month now that I'm back at work. While I was laid up for the Corona thing, I was going to the range 5X's a week and at that rate, even .22 was getting expensive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk Pilot View Post
    The AR9 is a dedicated New Frontier Armory lower and a New Frontier Armory upper with the LRBHO built into the upper as from what I've read is the best way to go. Haven't shot either of them yet since they're both new. Got a Nickel Boron Stern Defense AR9 BCG which after using my Fail Zero 5.56 NiB one, most likely that's all I'll ever purchase since they are so smooth. There is another NiB one from Taccom3g

Getting both the AR22 and AR9 in Snow White Cerakote done right now. So both are brand new builds that I've purchased the parts for over a few years (most within Covid-19 though). Well the AR22 CMMG 22lr Conversion will be the only used part for both rifle builds.

I purchased the BoreBuddy reliability kit, CMMG AR22 charging handle, 22 LR Bolt Extractor Replacement Kit, CMMG Bolt Collar and those stick-on Catch22 S&W 15-22 Magazine Adapter for Standard AR Lower (fit great in my regular AR15 lower). Both got CMC 2.5 lb. curved triggers, I have the CMC 3.5 lb flat trigger one in my standard AR15 that I love. Have constant neck, hand.... problems so really looking forward to the 2.5 lb. curved triggers.

I'm really excited to shoot the AR22, hopefully both will be done in 1.5 weeks tops (they had to order even more White Cerakote). We'll see. May have to go up north to start swimming again if pools don't open up in gyms soon enough in MN. If they don't, I may have to leave before both my builds are done. Pools were supposed to be open by June 1st, but that changed a week ago. I'm really starting to notice that I haven't been swimming. So after that news started looking into wetsuits to be able to swim up north (about 3 hours north of Twin Cities, so too cold right now without a wetsuit). I'm really, really want to wait for my rifles to get finished.
    But the way it's been going, if I don't start swimming by June 15th or for sure June 21st, I'm afraid I won't be physically well enough to want to go shooting, home exercise is not even the close to the same for me. Hell before the Covid-19 shutdown I went 420+ days in a row swimming. Then missed one day and another 340 days or so straight ((gym pool, lake or drive to hotel if up north (PITA)).
    Any news on that .22 build?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not sure if this helps, but I had a stripped ajustable gasblock that I turned backwards and it sealed it up completely.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have just began to piece together a dedicated AR22 and have ordered a RTB BCG, RTB 4.5" barrel, Catch 22 bolt stop for the project. I hope to use it with both BD and M&P mags.

I think the charging handle liner/DIY mod seems like a good mod. But it seems that the bolt pressure plug(goes inside the buffer tube) can easily be overcome by quite a few other methods. It seems to me that the bolt pressure plug is supposed to help with bolt bounce. Being that I'm doing a 4.5" I don't suspect I will have much of a problem with bolt bounce. Will see. I haven't seen bolt bounce mentioned in this thread but it's when the bolt closes on a fresh round and bounces rearward excessively.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The pressure plug really doesn't do anything for bolt bounce. It presses the bolt carrier group more firmly onto the barrel and hopefully reduces peening of the lower receiver and failures to fire/inconsistent ignition.

A bolt weight from cmmg or bore buddy will reduce bolt bounce.

Grab plenty of firing pin springs .

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That bolt weight looks good.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh, yeah. Get a spare firing pin. Several firing pin springs and the 500% extractor springs from borebuddy.com. Those extractor springs make failures to eject non existent. Actually, since I've gone to springs from borebuddy, I haven't had a problem. I am breaking firing pins at a rate of every 6k rounds or so, though.

It's sad, however. I built the .22s so it would be cheap to shoot and now finding .22 is as bad as 5.56.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast