Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
It has veered off topic a bit. I listed my 12.5 "one gun solution" and am glad that I withdrew it before it sold. I shot my Knight's 14.5 at yesterday's comp and it felt longer than I remember after shooting my 12.5 and 10.3 uppers for the past few months. So ideal gun has a 12.5 upper, ideal optic for me is still the 1-10 Razor and while I shot it without an offset RDS yesterday and it was still solid, I like the options an offset or top mounted MRDS gives me.
Funny that you mention that, as I was VERY close to messaging you (it was the 12.5 Hodge upper, if I recall correctly). Actually thanks to your post, I started thinking about the "one gun solution" more, and am very much in the camp that a high quality 12.5" with a variable power optic that gives you between 3-10x magnification on the high end ticks nearly every box that I can pragmatically think of. Add in your choice of light, sling, and 1x sighting solution, and there's a decent case to be made that, with good ammunition, any barrel length greater than 12.5" and less than 18" is kind of a waste of time for a "one gun solution". This thinking might change with a suppressor involved, as putting a can on any barrel length increases OAL, changes the balance, and also changes the relative reliability of the system shooting suppressed/unsuppressed.

My thinking does however make a few assumptions, those being that you aren't encumbered by the necessity for a 16.1" OAL, you understand exterior ballistics and can apply them pragmatically, and that you are willing to let a complex and individualized requirement that you have for your "one gun solution" be informed by data (mostly trajectory/wind deflection for your barrel/ammo combo) and by your reasonable expectations as to what you will need to do with that gun.

MountainRaven, that's a slick looking rifle! is that a TriArc 12.5" upper? If so, how do you like it?