Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

I’ve been putting some thought into this lately and seems there’s plenty of other threads that touch on this in some way or another, but nothing really diving into this topic like I would prefer.

What would be your One Gun/General Purpose carbine setup that gives you everything from CQB out to 400yds at any time of day (or night)? Is it possible to cram all that capability into one platform (and do it well) or is having two uppers set up differently the way to go?

Parameters for this carbine:
    1) 0-400 capable
    2) Day and Night capable
    3) Stay light enough to be easily carried in the field

For the first parameter I’ve settled on a “Mini-RECCE” suppressed 12.5” upper with an LPVO (for me currently: NF NX8) as I believe it’s the sweet spot between maneuverability and external/terminal ballistics at range. Even with a 6” suppressor, it’s not much longer than an unsuppressed 16”. Im sure some would say that an 11.5” bbl can work the same, and that’s fine, I just prefer that extra velocity for the range envelope we’re looking for. Add in a capable white light and sling and call it a day.

For me, this is pretty well cut and dry until you start talking about low/no light capability.

It’s pretty well noted that a RDS shines over a LPVO when it comes to low/no light and especially when we’re talking working with NV. So this is where a wrench is thrown into one gun solution.

Do you roll with an IR laser/illum on your “Mini-RECCE” for target acquisition and deal with the limitations of your day optic, or do you have a separate (10.5”-11.5” suppressed) upper with RDS to handle the night time capability?

(For the purpose of this exercise let’s assume that night capability is referring to mostly CQB with possible 100yd or less engagements under NODs...no clip on NVDs, only active aiming devices).
    Last edited by Ironman8; 10-19-20 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a long talk with John Noveske one time, and somewhere in it he commented that if he could only have one AR15, he would make sure it was a 12.5” barrel, because it was just about the perfect all around length when you figured out velocity and any reliability trade offs.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I had a long talk with John Noveske one time, and somewhere in it he commented that if he could only have one AR15, he would make sure it was a 12.5” barrel, because it was just about the perfect all around length when you figured out velocity and any reliability trade offs.
    Right, but that’s only half the equation. How do you set that gun up for low/no light?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    It's very interesting you said that. When I started down this same path to The One True Carbine, I bought a Noveske 12.5" Crusader barrel with a Switchblock on it.

This is a fascinating thread, I'm going to make it a sticky. Jack - thank you so much for your input, it makes a ton of sense.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's very interesting you said that. When I started down this same path to The One True Carbine, I bought a Noveske 12.5" Crusader barrel with a Switchblock on it.

This is a fascinating thread, I'm going to make it a sticky. Jack - thank you so much for your input, it makes a ton of sense.
    Agreed, lots of great knowledge shared so far in the thread. I’ve heard that John Noveske quote for years and it’s always stuck with me as well.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Maybe the Reptilla RMR mount on top of an LPVO would work then.
    It that setup works great, I have one on top of a NF 2.5-10x24 on my 14.5 Switchblock Noveske semi-precision rifle.

Funny how people went away from piggybacked RMRs because it was 'too high' / no cheekweld, only to start putting LPVOs on jacks up to 1.93" and now 2.04".

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    It that setup works great, I have one on top of a NF 2.5-10x24 on my 14.5 Switchblock Noveske semi-precision rifle.

Funny how people went away from piggybacked RMRs because it was 'too high' / no cheekweld, only to start putting LPVOs on jacks up to 1.93" and now 2.04".
    I tried the 1.93" and liked it while standing but it did take a little more adjustment in the prone. I've since found that the Badger C1 in lower 1/3 (1.7ish) is an awesome compromise and I'm super happy with it, plus I'm experimenting with an offset RDS, hence my question.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I've seen you post this in the past and it was one of the deciding factors for me building a 12.5" SBR. I went with a BCM barrel for a few different reason, none of which I'll discuss here since it's not relevant to this thread.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    nevermind.
    Last edited by ASH556; 05-21-20 at 09:10.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I replied with the first pic earlier in this thread. From having tried piles of optics over the years I honestly believed that a "one gun" solution was not a reality. The one thing I'd never tried before and really wanted to was the piggyback RMR on the ACOG. The TA11 specifically because it is the most forgiving ACOG. Huge FOV compared to the TA33, but massive eye relief compared to the TA31. Sure it's bigger and heavier than those models, but at 14oz it's still lighter than pretty much all LPVO's, especially once you factor in the mount. The ACOG glass is marvelous and those that have shot a lot know that glass quality trumps magnification. If you look back a few pages you'll see a 10-shot .88 MOA group I fired at 100yds with Speer Gold Dot from a COLT 14.5" barrel using a TA11 ACOG. The point is, that if you have the right reticle and good glass, 3.5X magnification can be better than 6X or 8X with worse glass and reticle. Adding the RMR on top of the ACOG is NOT the chin-weld everyone said it would be. I find it to be far faster to move my head slightly up/down to switch between the optics and it's faster than rolling the gun...at least for me. I've had offset dot and irons setups in the past and they were nowhere near as fast and intuitive as the piggyback RMR.

Like @Valhalla I treat the RMR as the primary sight and then drop into the ACOG when the shot calls for it (Precision, distance, whatever).

Mark 10:8 “...and the two shall become one.”

Have you tried rolling the RMR to your left eye?

This makes me want to go try a Leupold D-EVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast