Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. And possibly saving me some bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D-Evo also has no illumination for low light use, which has caused ppl issues as well. I like the concept but it isn't there yet.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    D-Evo also has no illumination for low light use, which has caused ppl issues as well. I like the concept but it isn't there yet.
    There are probably tons of quirks that no one's found out about yet due to shooting through an angled prism like that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That all makes sense, I was trying to understand your context in previous posts. This clears it up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Offset means the RDS is "mounted" not at 12 o'clock of the gun. "Off axis" means *when you are shooting the gun* the RDS is not positioned directly above the barrel.

So, for example, most people would rotate their guns when using an offset RDS so that the dot is directly above the bore, thus making it "not off axis" during use. The previously posted video of Mr. Jerry Miculek speed-shooting is a good example. Whereas, the technique of rolling your gun so the top-mounted / piggybacked RMR on top of an ACOG is usable on your "weak side" eye, is an example of "non-offset" RDS that's being shot under off-axis condition.

Similarly, if you have a 45-degree offset RDS but you are laying the rifle flat on it's side (eg. shooting through the bottom of a vehicle), the RDS would not be directly over the bore so you would be shooting an "offset RDS off-axis". And lastly, if you simply pop your head up and use the top-mounted RMR without rolling the gun, then your RDS is neither offset nor off-axis.

Make sense?

VT

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    If you're going to do this, cant the gun to the left, why not just have the red dot offset on the right side so that it then lines up with your right, dominant, eye (for right eye dominant shooters)? Seems that would be the better option than having your left eye take over. I'd have to try it, but I can't imagine it'd be easier to have my left eye looking at the red dot when I'm right eye dominant.
    Yup my thought exactly.

However, to be 100% fair, that technique (and setting up piggybacked RMR that way) do have one advantage - it is "properly" ambidextrous. If I am setting up a whole bunch of guns for a whole bunch of grunts, I want them to be uniformed... and that setup (plus that technique) can be used by lefty or righty all the same without reconfiguration. You can even argue that it may be a better setup for weak-side transitions. But for my own "one gun" solution, I don't really need to worry about someone else using it... when I setup offset RDS this way and learned to use it as primary, I can shoot around both left and right side barricade shouldering the gun with my strong hand. So the need to transition to weak-head is rare; and even if some zombie had eaten me alive, whoever picked up my gun can take his/her time and re-configure the RDS. Most offset mounts (including ours) are reversible so you can mount it to the left if you like.

Anyway, there is no single solution for everyone; I believe the spirit of this thread is to share our experiences so we can all learn from each other.

VT
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    That seems to be an awfully absolute statement about something that sounds an awfully lot like opinion. Do you care to refine it?
    First of all I do agree 3.5x is not enough magnification, especially when I am old enough to start loosing my eyesight. But I also have to say when I was younger, 3.5x is plenty... Nailing basketball-sized boulders at 600+ yards up a mountain was cake with a good, clear optic such as the ACOG.

So in a sense I think you are right; the statement from @vicious_cb may be true for a lot of us, but I personally wouldn't take it as a gospel either.
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Yup my thought exactly.

However, to be 100% fair, that technique (and setting up piggybacked RMR that way) do have one advantage - it is "properly" ambidextrous. If I am setting up a whole bunch of guns for a whole bunch of grunts, I want them to be uniformed... and that setup (plus that technique) can be used by lefty or righty all the same without reconfiguration. You can even argue that it may be a better setup for weak-side transitions. But for my own "one gun" solution, I don't really need to worry about someone else using it... when I setup offset RDS this way and learned to use it as primary, I can shoot around both left and right side barricade shouldering the gun with my strong hand. So the need to transition to weak-head is rare; and even if some zombie had eaten me alive, whoever picked up my gun can take his/her time and re-configure the RDS. Most offset mounts (including ours) are reversible so you can mount it to the left if you like.

Anyway, there is no single solution for everyone; I believe the spirit of this thread is to share our experiences so we can all learn from each other.

VT
    I'll add, for people that shoot bullpups (I have one, but it's not my go to), having the centerline red dot where you peek up is the only option. Unless you have an FS2000, MDR, RFB, or RDB.

Corvus makes a rail for the AUG with ACOG mount built in which lowers the ACOG a tad to optimize your red dot a bit better.

Actually Corvus posted a video on Instagram shooting an angled red dot with their case deflector, but it still doesn't look fun.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'll add, for people that shoot bullpups (I have one, but it's not my go to), having the centerline red dot where you peek up is the only option. Unless you have an FS2000, MDR, RFB, or RDB.

Corvus makes a rail for the AUG with ACOG mount built in which lowers the ACOG a tad to optimize your red dot a bit better.

Actually Corvus posted a video on Instagram shooting an angled red dot with their case deflector, but it still doesn't look fun.

Not something to worry about since this is an AR specific thread. Not that anyone who is serious about setting up the most efficient fighting rifle would choose a bullpup anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    IWI released a 12.5" pistol in their Zion line of ARs. Looks like a very solid setup. It reminded me of this thread.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    IWI released a 12.5" pistol in their Zion line of ARs. Looks like a very solid setup. It reminded me of this thread.

I saw that. Outstanding price, with better than basic features. I think I saw $828 with an SBA3.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a Centurion medium weight, mid-length gas barrel, that was a 14.5". Centurion chopped it to 13" for me and I run it with a short suppressor. It sounds similar to the ear as my 11.5 with a full sized can, it's about .6" longer OAL, and I get about 175 fps higher velocity - ammo dependent. In the past 4 months it's really grown on me. With 77 SMKs it does very well out to 440 yards on 8" plates; prone, with a bi-pod and a Razor 1-6. It needs about .5 mils more elevation than my 16 " recce with the same ammo at that distance. On paper, I have taken it to 400 and average 7" groups. Here are the come-ups with Magtech 77 SMK and the Razor 1-6 on a 1.93 mount:

100y Zero
    200y 0.4 mils
    300y 1.4 mils
    360y 1.8 mils
    400y 2.2 mils
    440y 2.8 mils

For entry work, the only difference I notice is that it's slightly more muzzle-heavy than my 11.5. I'm running an A5H2 and a flat spring, and a 11.5" hand guard. While I don't think any one rifle can do it all, this one has come the closest to it for me.
    Last edited by MQ105; 09-06-20 at 11:00.

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast