Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

I’ve been putting some thought into this lately and seems there’s plenty of other threads that touch on this in some way or another, but nothing really diving into this topic like I would prefer.

What would be your One Gun/General Purpose carbine setup that gives you everything from CQB out to 400yds at any time of day (or night)? Is it possible to cram all that capability into one platform (and do it well) or is having two uppers set up differently the way to go?

Parameters for this carbine:
    1) 0-400 capable
    2) Day and Night capable
    3) Stay light enough to be easily carried in the field

For the first parameter I’ve settled on a “Mini-RECCE” suppressed 12.5” upper with an LPVO (for me currently: NF NX8) as I believe it’s the sweet spot between maneuverability and external/terminal ballistics at range. Even with a 6” suppressor, it’s not much longer than an unsuppressed 16”. Im sure some would say that an 11.5” bbl can work the same, and that’s fine, I just prefer that extra velocity for the range envelope we’re looking for. Add in a capable white light and sling and call it a day.

For me, this is pretty well cut and dry until you start talking about low/no light capability.

It’s pretty well noted that a RDS shines over a LPVO when it comes to low/no light and especially when we’re talking working with NV. So this is where a wrench is thrown into one gun solution.

Do you roll with an IR laser/illum on your “Mini-RECCE” for target acquisition and deal with the limitations of your day optic, or do you have a separate (10.5”-11.5” suppressed) upper with RDS to handle the night time capability?

(For the purpose of this exercise let’s assume that night capability is referring to mostly CQB with possible 100yd or less engagements under NODs...no clip on NVDs, only active aiming devices).
    Last edited by Ironman8; 10-19-20 at 21:07.