Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    One point I haven’t really seen discussed or mentioned is if going with the 12.5”, would you use a carbine length or mid length gas system?

I have both, get rhe carbine gas.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    One point I haven’t really seen discussed or mentioned is if going with the 12.5”, would you use a carbine length or mid length gas system?
    I prefer correctly ported *chrome lined* 12.5" barrels like Hodge Defence or the Criterion Arms Core. Whenever it becomes available, the 21.9 oz BRT EXC length gas, 12.5 inch , Melonite QPQ, barrel would also be an excellent choice.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Agree with the other response; anything at (or close to) 1x at the bottom, and up to 10x currently.
    The biggest question is really what your budget is (don't forget to factor in mount), and if there are any features that you know you must have. There are examples in each price range that stand out above others, and a few that I have as personal favorites.

I still have a 1-4x NightForce that is great.
    1-6x are still completely viable; the Leupold VX6 Multigun (now discontinued) is solid, and at around $1200 were a great value. The Swarovski 1-6x with BRTi reticle was huge in 3-gun, but lacked in overall robustness; at around 2k it was one of the top 1-6 options before the 1-8s really hit. I am fond of the Kahles k16i as well, though while generally considered to be "hardened" Swarovskis, I liked the BRTi reticle of the Swaro more and the forgiveness of the Swaro seemed better. I may like it more with the new Kahles 3GR reticle. But at around 2k as well, it isn't in a different category. For around $1200, the Bushnell 1-6.5x is a good value. My 1-6s are on 11.5" and 14.5" 5.56 rifles.

I also own a couple 1-8x, with time on a bunch. The original Leupy 1.1-8x is a tank, and has several good features, but is prohibitively costly for most, and somewhat outclassed with the 1-8s that have dropped in the last few years. My two favorites are the NF NX8 1-8x and the now discontinued Swarovski 1-8x BRTi. I like the ATACR 1-8 as well, but I tend to favor just stepping up in magnification/reticle/adjustment for the guns that would usually get the 1-8x ATACR. My 1-8x NX8 lives on a 14.5" 7.62 SR-25, with a realistic max expected range of 500 meters, with 90% inside 200 meters. While I would prefer a more optimized reticle in the NX8, it gets me what I need for inside 200. My Swaro 1-8x is on a 14.5" 6.5 Creedmoor SR-25, that I use as a lightweight precision rifle with a suppressor that I get in and out of vehicles with and move through restrictive terrain with, with expectation to get fast lethal hits from 5 meters to 500 meters, with limited expectation out to 800 meters. In this setup, weight is very important; and with a light, laser, bipod, and suppressor, cutting weight wherever available while retaining capability is why I favored a lightweight 1-8 over a 4-16 with top-mounted dot. In neither application does a FFP reticle give an advantage for me, so the weight and expense of that feature was not necessary. I do use the Swarovski ballistic turret on the 1-8, which I find very useful for precision application past 800 or so.
    Any experience on the new Vortex Razor 1-10x? The guys who evaluated them are preferring them over the ATACR 1-8x.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    mine are carbine length, and I like that. Although I may do a dedicated suppressed rig in the future, and maybe go longer with the gas tube. But both of mine handle suppressors without drama.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have both, get rhe carbine gas.
    Suppressed or unsuppressed? Would it matter?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Suppressed or unsuppressed? Would it matter?
    I shoot both, with both. I prefer the carbine gas system. It is more reliable.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I shoot both, with both. I prefer the carbine gas system. It is more reliable.
    Everybody always says that the carbine gas system was designed around an 11.5” gun. I’m no expert, but there were a few different iterations of that gun, with at least two barrel lengths, and I usually picture the defining version as an 11.5” with a tiny suppressor twisted on the end. In light of all that, I feel that the carbine gas system is suitable for the 12.5” guns. I could be wrong, but its working for me so far. Excepting that subsonic experiment we talked about, I don’t think I’ve had any stoppages with mine yet. They just work.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Any experience on the new Vortex Razor 1-10x? The guys who evaluated them are preferring them over the ATACR 1-8x.
    I'm curious what more experienced people would say about maxing out high power mag on a 12.5 gun. If the 1-10 has all things on 1x equal to the 1-6, I assume the only downside is cost. But I'd be curious how many people think that much mag on a short gun is stupid. Personally, 6x doesn't help with shooting groups at 100m as much as I'd hope so I feel like its viable, especially when you're talking PID and observation considerations over actual accuracy.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'm curious what more experienced people would say about maxing out high power mag on a 12.5 gun. If the 1-10 has all things on 1x equal to the 1-6, I assume the only downside is cost. But I'd be curious how many people think that much mag on a short gun is stupid. Personally, 6x doesn't help with shooting groups at 100m as much as I'd hope so I feel like its viable, especially when you're talking PID and observation considerations over actual accuracy.
    IMHO, I want all the magnification as long as it isnt costing you on the lower end. If your occupation involves you needing to tell whether that lump on the ground is a some dude in the prone or a rock then I'd want as much magnification as possible. If someone is using too much mag and theyre getting all this heat mirage distortion then thats a software issue not a hardware one.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    IMHO, I want all the magnification as long as it isnt costing you on the lower end. If your occupation involves you needing to tell whether that lump on the ground is a some dude in the prone or a rock then I'd want as much magnification as possible. If someone is using too much mag and theyre getting all this heat mirage distortion then thats a software issue not a hardware one.
    That's kind of what I figured. If nothing else with a FFP, its not like you have to use all the mag, so as long as the reticle is daylight bright and usable on 1x and the eyebox doesn't suck, I assume it'd be solid.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast