Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Thermal to find, NV to identify.

Awesome for hunting, but a dedicated Thermal weapon scope might not be the best use of funds in this context...for most.
    True, the good thermal scopes are very very expensive and they are fixed to the rifle.

Maybe a mid-range thermal monocular, and more traditional NV for targeting.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The MAWL C+ doesnt give up anything over a restricted PEQ-15.
    That becomes ridiculously expensive for a civilian. $3000 for the Laser/Illuminator and another close to $4000 for the NV.

I'll figure out the NV targeting later. For now I'll concentrate on low light detection.

EDIT: *** Well, I just realized that I should probably get rid of some of the eighteen rifles I have that are chambered in 5.56 and instead put the money into building a shorter barrel rifle and obtaining some NV equipment...

I guess I could get by 8 or 10 rifles instead of 18. LOL
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-26-20 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The only thing on his list that most here aren't advocating is a 16 inch barrel...
    Yeah, I can see the usefulness of a short barrel myself.

I've never really (At least since about 2009.) seen the difference between the REECE concept and what most of us build/buy these days when we build a 16" AR. At one time perhaps the REECE concept was new, but now its fairly standard.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-26-20 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    The only thing on his list that most here aren't advocating is a 16 inch barrel...
    Exactly, and most including me are even calling it a “Mini-RECCE” for that exact reason.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What rail/hand guard are guys that run 12.5” barrels using?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    11 inch rail
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    10.75 URX4
    11.7 SLR

The SLR is the absolute max length, and the barrel on that gun has a taper mount linear comp. I’d be uncomfortable with a brake on it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    That becomes ridiculously expensive for a civilian. $3000 for the Laser/Illuminator and another close to $4000 for the NV.

I'll figure out the NV targeting later. For now I'll concentrate on low light detection.

EDIT: *** Well, I just realized that I should probably get rid of some of the eighteen rifles I have that are chambered in 5.56 and instead put the money into building a shorter barrel rifle and obtaining some NV equipment...

I guess I could get by 8 or 10 rifles instead of 18. LOL
    That's what I did. Very happy with the decision. I'm down to just about a half dozen long guns but I have some pretty sweet night toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    eh nevermind. 5.56 AR thread
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-27-20 at 09:49.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    That's actually my article (and one definitely in need of an update/refresh), so I thought I'd throw some context into this. For a do-all carbine, I actually prefer something in the 12.5" to 14.5" range. But the reason I advocated for a 16" barrel is that my readers are generally pretty new to the AR world. They usually find my site while looking for their first gun or two and heard a phrase somewhere (a la "RECCE Rifle") and what to know what it is. I'm trying to keep them out of NFA problems or issues related to pin/weld configurations when they inevitably want to start playing around with different rails and muzzle devices later on.

That particular article was also touching on the historical roots of the "recce." But, on the topic of the thread, my personal ideal "do-all" would be something like a 12.5" Kino or a 14.5", free-floated, pinned gas block, and an optic in the 1-6x/8x range. With extra funds, there would probably be an offset RMR as a backup.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast