Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Ah, the quest for the unobtainable.

I'm more of a 11.5" because if you are going short, go short & 14.5/16" because you gain a lot with those inches.

I have all 3 but I'm not gonna start selling because of internet gymnastics.
    Right, I’m not saying you should sell anything either. This is just discussing my take on a true “do all” rifle. Meaning it is the ONE you would pick, if you had to, that you’ve set up to handle all realistic engagement scenarios within 400yds at day or night.

ETA: Maybe shooting under NODs isn’t even part of the consideration for some, but I would like that capability and that’s where the wrench gets thrown into my “do all” day gun...how do you take that same gun and make it work well at night?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-18-20 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I know you use the IR laser for aiming at night under NODs, but when you have to go IR to vis spectrum quickly, how do handle the LPVO in that situation? My understanding is that’s where an RDS works well in comparison since you don’t have the eye relief limitations. Keep in mind I’ve had about a 4 hr block of instruction on NODs from Pressburg and that’s the extent of my knowledge other than reading things here and there.

And back more on topic, which do you pick for the 0-400 parameters in the OP if you had to just pick one?
    LPVOs and NODS don't play together very well.
    If the NODs drop down, I'm 100% on laser or gross aiming technique. If the laser doesn't work and it's dark, I'm on light + LPVO for GP carbines.

For the 0-400 range the practical reality is that an 11.5" 5.56 with effective suppressor is going to leave very little on the table.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    LPVOs and NODS don't play together very well.
    If the NODs drop down, I'm 100% on laser or gross aiming technique. If the laser doesn't work and it's dark, I'm on light + LPVO for GP carbines.

For the 0-400 range the practical reality is that an 11.5" 5.56 with effective suppressor is going to leave very little on the table.
    Thanks, that all makes sense. What’s your go to LPVO these days?

Feedback Score
    How well do offset rds work with nods?
    Could you skip a laser or still need that option?

I dont run nvg yet, but I like a mini suppressor (socom mini556) on an 11.5. Its just quiet enough and saves significant weight/length. 12.5” would be fine as well. Id rather have more barrel length than silencer length, but again, nvg might change that.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-17-20 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    Take whatever AR you have, put Ultradyne irons on it (easily move from 0 to 400 yards), and adjustable white light for no light, and maybe a visible laser for low light. Or you can scrap you rifle, spend thousands and thousands of dollars on short barrels, Aimpoints, night vision and IR lasers.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

I dont run nvg yet, but I like a mini suppressor (socom mini556) on an 11.5. Its just quiet enough and saves significant weight/length. 12.5” would be fine as well. Id rather have more barrel length than silencer length, but again, nvg might change that.
    You’d still need IR laser with nods. IR spectrum (IR laser) vs Vis spectrum (offset rds)

As for how it would interface with tube(s) over the top of them (looking under the NV tube to pick up the RDS) I have no idea. It’s hard enough just to get a standard rds to interface like that in my limited experience. My guess is, if you’ve got a PVS14 tube over non-dominant eye and turn your LPVO scoped rifle 45° to pick up the offset rds, you’re gonna have some clearance issues with the 14 and LPVO.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-17-20 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Take whatever AR you have, put Ultradyne irons on it (easily move from 0 to 400 yards), and adjustable white light for no light, and maybe a visible laser for low light. Or you can scrap you rifle, spend thousands and thousands of dollars on short barrels, Aimpoints, night vision and IR lasers.
    Nah bro I don’t need to scrap anything...and this ain’t 1990.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Offset RDS are not fun with NODS, one reason that I have come back around to piggybacked RDS for rifles set up for more dedicated precision use, but still way behind a laser for the midrange night gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Guys with LPVOs, lasers, and night vision have been killing the dogs**t out of dudes with just iron sights at night with great regularity for about 25 years now.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Agreed. I have a 11.5 BCM with a T-2 & 3x, ringing steel at 350 (limits of my range) is not hard to do.

If it was my 'one gun', I'd probably think about putting a LPVO on it instead (NX-8 likely, which is on my LW 16" which I shoot un-suppressed), but I'd have to assess the higher probability of wanting night / NOD effectiveness w/IR Laser - RDS vs daylight effectiveness with a LPVO.

I think we are shaving %s at that point; I think you just need to pick the one you think is the best and roll with it.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast