Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Take whatever AR you have, put Ultradyne irons on it (easily move from 0 to 400 yards), and adjustable white light for no light, and maybe a visible laser for low light. Or you can scrap you rifle, spend thousands and thousands of dollars on short barrels, Aimpoints, night vision and IR lasers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    My go-to is either a 14.5 with a short can, or an 11.5 with a larger can.
    Both with an LPVO, light, and IR laser/flood.
    I have gone past 1k with the 14.5 and purpose-oriented ammo.
    The overall length and weight of both is very similar.
    The 11.5 shines indoors due to the more effective suppressor, while the 14.5 takes over once past pistol-caliber range.
    Jack, which suppressors are you using for the 11.5 & 14.5 inch?

Why not use a short can with the 11.5"? My thoughts are, if you're going short, go short. Instead of going with a longer suppressor on a short barrel, just go with a longer barrel and reap the benefits of more velocity. Is it because the longer suppressor is quieter? Is it quiet enough to give up the extra velocity?

Thanks
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Why not use a short can with the 11.5"? My thoughts are, if you're going short, go short. Instead of going with a longer suppressor on a short barrel, just go with a longer barrel and reap the benefits of more velocity. Is it because the longer suppressor is quieter? Is it quiet enough to give up the extra velocity?

Thanks
    Theres a limit to the amount of muzzle blast a shorty can could handle. Chop off enough baffles and give it enough muzzle blast and your suppressor doesnt suppress anymore. Shorter barrels need longer cans to get the same suppression that you see with longer barrels.

Also regarding the concept of this thread, didnt Ash Hess run a 11.5" with a Mark 6 at a long range gas gun match and win or something?
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-17-20 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    0-400 yards is kinda far. Not that it can't be done, but you might want to pick a barrel length more suited towards what end of the spectrum you will mostly find yourself. For example my 10.5 can throw pills 400 yards, but my 14.5 will do it much more reliably. I can do CQB style drills with the 14.5, but the 10.5 is much easier.

For what it's worth though I shoot matches at those exact distances and the 400 yard targets start to make me wish I had a 16" just a little. What I do like about the 14.5 is that I am forced into a very effective flash hider to make it 16". I have actually tested all my muzzle devices at night and the 3-4 prong design is more effective than some suppressors I have seen. Sure the noise is all there, but there is almost no flash if you pick the right device. I also think the GP rifle optics matter. Im running a Steiner P4Xi cause I love how its aim point 1x and BDC 4x. It's ridding in a Aero mount for one of the more svelte optics packages you can get. I think I measured it at 20.5 Oz's with mount. The entire rifle weighs 7.3 pounds with optic, so I am pretty happy with how handy it is.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Guys with LPVOs, lasers, and night vision have been killing the dogs**t out of dudes with just iron sights at night with great regularity for about 25 years now.
    Jack, do you (or anyone else) have chrono days for a Mod 2 CQB with BH 77gr TMKs? I’m curious how it stacks up against the new hotness of certain 12.5s and found some data for a Triarc barrel with that load.

I’m also curious if you have experience shooting an offset RMR with nods. It seems to work well on pistols, I’m curious if a Badger C1 with RMR would be viable secondary aiming option after the IR laser when under nods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-17-20 at 14:23.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Theres a limit to the amount of muzzle blast a shorty can could handle. Chop off enough baffles and give it enough muzzle blast and your suppressor doesnt suppress anymore. Shorter barrels need longer cans to get the same suppression that you see with longer barrels.

Also regarding the concept of this thread, didnt Ash Hess run a 11.5" with a Mark 6 at a long range gas gun match and win or something?
    Yeah general consensus seems to be shorty cans should only go on 12.5s and up. And least that’s Chuck’s stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Delete.
    Last edited by Jonnyt16; 04-19-20 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I shoot KAC QDC and NT4 suppressors on 5.56 rifles.

Short cans are great for keeping things short, but full sized cans bring blast into the sub-140dB area, which is way better when in tight spaces than louder cans. Short cans on short rifle barrels have handgun level dB. More weight on the end of the barrel also helps reduce muzzle rise, which is an inherent issue with short barrels and suppressors in general. Quieter can also helps reduce identification of shooter by the shootee at longer range, which helps if you are already working a little behind the 8-ball with a shorty at extended range.
    The heavier suppressor closer to the support hand, with the decreased leverage, has very little detriment to handling.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ash and I have both taken 1st place with 11.5" KAC guns, however the matches that we do so at didn't go out much past 400 yards, and most stages really didn't favor dedicated rigs.
    At that time we were also competing in the PRS Gas Gun Series, and shooting at 400 with 11.5" 5.56 guns was a pretty good simulation of shooting at 600-800 with our competition setups. We thought it would be way cooler to go out and have fun with little guns than crush a local match with our optimized guns.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Jack, do you (or anyone else) have chrono days for a Mod 2 CQB with BH 77gr TMKs? I’m curious how it stacks up against the new hotness of certain 12.5s and found some data for a Triarc barrel with that load.
    Not at hand, but I'll check my files.

I’m also curious if you have experience shooting an offset RMR with nods. It seems to work well on pistols, I’m curious if a Badger C1 with RMR would be viable secondary aiming option after the IR laser when under nods.
    I DO NOT like offset dots with NODS, vastly prefer them on top of the primary optic in that application.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast