Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: The One Gun Solution (GP Carbine) - Reality?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    New Hampshire USA
    Thanks for clarifying. I was unaware what country New Hampshire was in.

Where at in NH?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    If we’re talking practical use, then throw a suppressor on the end of that 14.5 and tell me how practical that is inside a structure. With a 6” suppressor on a 12.5”, it’s about an inch longer than an unsuppressed 16”. It’s finding the right balance of a short barrel + suppressor that still offers acceptable external/terminal ballistics AND can be used effectively indoors and out, day or night.

Based on your posts, I can tell you missed the parameters I listed in the OP on the first post:

Parameters for this carbine:
    1) 0-400 capable
    2) Day and Night capable
    3) Stay light enough to be easily carried in the field

This whole quest really began with Kyle Defoor several years ago talking about his opinion of the capability of the 5.56 AR platform. Which he says is 0-400. Past that range, he said he wants a bigger caliber. 11.5” or 12.5” both fit this role pretty well. I happen to like the 12.5” better based on data and personal experience shooting this type of platform for the last 3-4 years.

For you to make the 800 “yard” argument is just asinine for this discussion. There’s nothing reliable about 5.56 at 800 yds whether you’re talking 12.5, 14.5, or 18 when it comes to external or terminal ballistics, regardless of cartridge used. Nothing expands or fragments at that range and hit percentage is WAY down compared to 400yds.
    We are getting trolled lol. This guy is ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I was half expecting to read: "And my 93r is the perfect secondary gun when I was running sniper missions from a Littlebird Platform."

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Plenty of 16” guns lying around: that’s a big assumption. Ammo is getting increasingly hard to obtain these last few months. Don’t count on it being available unless you have it stockpiled in high quantities.
    Allow me to restate:

If you have expended all of your ammunition that allows you to reliably achieve, "practical terminal performance," to the edge of what you are capable of shooting at, there will be a bunch of dead motherf___ers laying around who don't need their 14.5+" guns any longer and you can just take them from their cold, dead hands. In which case, you have much, much bigger problems on your hand than the, "practical terminal performance," of cheap 223 out of a sub-14.5" barrel.

Thanks for clarifying. I was unaware what country New Hampshire was in.

Where at in NH?
    Does it matter? There's nowhere in NH where you can shoot 400 meters without the bullets landing in the ocean, Massachusetts (who would view it as an act of war and promptly invade), Vermont, or Maine.

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    But hey he’s done VBSS on the high seas with an MP5...that counts for something right?

Feedback Score
    My field is 800 meters. You’re a dimwit..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    If we’re talking practical use, then throw a suppressor on the end of that 14.5 and tell me how practical that is inside a structure. With a 6” suppressor on a 12.5”, it’s about an inch longer than an unsuppressed 16”. It’s finding the right balance of a short barrel + suppressor that still offers acceptable external/terminal ballistics AND can be used effectively indoors and out, day or night.

Based on your posts, I can tell you missed the parameters I listed in the OP on the first post:

Parameters for this carbine:
    1) 0-400 capable
    2) Day and Night capable
    3) Stay light enough to be easily carried in the field

This whole quest really began with Kyle Defoor several years ago talking about his opinion of the capability of the 5.56 AR platform. Which he says is 0-400. Past that range, he said he wants a bigger caliber. 11.5” or 12.5” both fit this role pretty well. I happen to like the 12.5” better based on data and personal experience shooting this type of platform for the last 3-4 years.

For you to make the 800 “yard” argument is just asinine for this discussion. There’s nothing reliable about 5.56 at 800 yds whether you’re talking 12.5, 14.5, or 18 when it comes to external or terminal ballistics, regardless of cartridge used. Nothing expands or fragments at that range and hit percentage is WAY down compared to 400yds.
    How did the suppressor subject get dragged into the conversation? An 18” does very well at 800 meters. I don’t know this Defoor but the 5.56 does well past 400 meters. You need to shoot more and youtube less and learn to appreciate good advice.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    How did the suppressor subject get dragged into the conversation? An 18” does very well at 800 meters. I don’t know this Defoor but the 5.56 does well past 400 meters. You need to shoot more and youtube less and learn to appreciate good advice.
    If you won’t read the thread, then I’m done feeding the troll. I’m out.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I would say the 12.5” is too short for a one carbine solution. I would lean towards 14.5-16” up to 18”. How far would you engage a threat with the 12.5” with MK262? How far would you engage a threat with 55g cartridges if that’s all you had access to? You would be better served with a 14.5-18” barrel.

The reality is we do not have the luxury to predict when, where, and at what distance a threat may present itself. The 10-12.5” is versatile but not ideal upper for a one carbine solution. That’s my point.
    I don't shoot 55 gr for anything other then training at 50 meters or closer. I have had bad experiences with 55 gr in the real world. I have taken shots, with hits, at 500 m with 62 gr ammo. I would not take a shot with a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel beyond that either.

One of the points that you are missing is that we are talking about is all types of situations, not just long range. Vehicle operations can be difficult with a 14.5 with a can on it. It is much better with a 12.5 and can. Driving around in a HiLux with a M4 is a Pain. Try even getting into a hilux with an 18 ich SPR with a can on it......

Nothing is perfect, but we are discussing the BEST solution. And i can tell you that less then 10% of the shots i took in combat were over 50 meters. And I have a "few" months doing this for real.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What’s up dude.

I have been running a 11.5 gun with short reflex suppressor. I too have been trying to find what I like.

My rifle
    11.5 barrel
    Suppressor
    White light
    Ir Illuminator/laser
    LEAF
    Right now aimpoint t1.

I tried the low powered accupower and didn’t care for it and moved back to the T1. It’s my fault I didn’t like the low power optic as I don’t practice that much with the and such it’s obviously slower than a rds for me. I keep meaning to practice and give it another go..

Gun is light and I carry it in the field a lot on night hunts.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast