Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The perfect .308 AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    That ammo is actually from a Crane (NSW) SOCOM program, not really "the Army's" SCAR, nomenclature Mk 319 Mod 0.
    https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...ioniii8524.pdf
    It's used quite a bit with 16" 7.62 guns, and it is a pretty solid terminal performer, but 1.5-2 MOA average. MV from my 14.5" is 2650. I have killed a lot of feral hogs and javelinas with it out to around 400. A 1 in 10 twist rate is not at all detrimental to the projectile's precision potential, and in fact a little faster would be better.

When it comes to application of the short barreled 7.62 guns, the issue is way less with the trajectory/drop, and way more to do with wind effect. Ballistic calculators will very reliably tell you where the bullet is going to go at a known distance, but you're going to have to figure out the amount of wind in effect and compensate more precisely than with a faster projectile. I've shot 14.5" and 16" 7.62 rifles to stupid far distances, but I do agree that in practical application with the 130gr SOST, it's a 500 meter gun.
    That should fall in line with my thinking then... I never planned to use this as a long range precision piece. It was always just gonna be a heavy duty .308 version of a patrol/combat carbine. Thanks for the info on Crane.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Best 308 AR......IMO?

SR25 ACC with a 1-8

Feedback Score
    Hey Big Daddy...

I like the platform for like you said, delivering just a little more payload for those problems that require just a little more...
    I took a sniper class a few years back at Camp Atterberry and one of the other students used a 14.5" Noveske barreled .308 platform. Although the class stressed using the reticle for range estimation, and everything from 10yrds out to 500, he had no problem staying with the other shooters. I think he was using something like 3x14 power scope.
    During one of the breaks in shooting we noticed a ground hog on the 500 yrd berm and decided " why not " so of course he was behind one of the many steel plates within my sector, so I was out of the running, but the guy with the short .308 did him in on his first shot... ( most of the time he was using 168 gr Fed Match & American Eagle Match designed for the M-14 )
    Yep, I think that platform has a lot of utility, especially with such a wide selection of projectiles out there...You might even give those 155gr match loads a spin for those longer distance shots...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cool rifle. I'm curious what it weighs dry w/o the glass? That's the only thing that kept me from ditching my SCAR 17 and building a 308 AR. If I can get to 8 pounds dry no glass, I might try it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    What does it weigh? My 16 inch FAL had such an outrageous muzzle flash/blast I went to a 20 inch barrel when I purchased a DPMS G2 AR10. 1.5 inches longer than a 16 inch 5.56 AR and sub 7.25 lbs unloaded with a carbine receiver extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Cool rifle. I'm curious what it weighs dry w/o the glass? That's the only thing that kept me from ditching my SCAR 17 and building a 308 AR. If I can get to 8 pounds dry no glass, I might try it.
    1. No clue what it weighs. I don't have any scales.
    2. I would like to know why everybody is always so preoccupied with weight?

I see this is every single thread when someone is talking about a rifle they just pieced together. Every singe time. It's a rifle. It's a .308 sized AR, so I'd guess it's around 8 or 9 pounds, but it's not a 23 pound M60, so I'm good. In the immortal words of our former Sec of State... "What difference does it make?" Sure you can count each ounce, but if you're a full grown adult male, a few ounces, or one pound one way or the other shouldn't make life too difficult.

If I was worried about weight, I wouldn't have done a .308 rifle. I did try to keep it as light, and compact as I could by going to the 14" barrel, but I don't worry too much about it.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    14.5" KAC CC upper with ambi charging handle on SR-25 lower, with ambi selector, with CTR stock and MIAD grip: 7.98 lbs.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    If I was worried about weight, I wouldn't have done a .308 rifle. I did try to keep it as light, and compact as I could by going to the 14" barrel, but I don't worry too much about it.
    Yeah, I have to agree. People get really hung up on weight when it comes to battle rifles. Having humped a variety of weapons across many a mile, they all get heavy. .308s will be heavier than a 5.56 gun, but as long as it's not a massive increase, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I put together the perfect .308 AR. I've posted photos of if before, but I haven't yet explained the build. I also got help with it during the build on the .308 knowledge thread, so to all who chimed in... thanks.

Now keep in mind, when I say that it's the "perfect .308 AR", I mean it's the perfect one... for me.

I was looking to get into a .308 because I wanted the better terminal ballistics of the heavier round.

What I didn't really need, was the increased range.

This was to be a defensive combat carbine. It was to be "defensive" in nature, it's not one I would need to reach out long distances, at least not in my area, (Indiana woods, and farmland) I just wanted something with a bit more oomph than the 5.56, or should things go real bad, have the ability to punch through cover better.

I did still want to keep it in as small, and light a package as I could. I like a patrol carbine, not a full on sniper rifle.

On the other hand, I've seen guys go way too far with the "smaller is better" theory when building 10" .308 pistols and the like, that though probably fun to play with, would pretty much cut the .308 off at the knees.

I tried to make a decent compromise, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Receivers... Aero Precision with their LPK
    Barrel... BA Hanson 14" with pin-and-welded Warcomp
    Rail system... Midwest Industries
    Scope... Primary Arms 1-8 with the ACSS reticle
    BUIS... Troy with tritium
    BCG... Lantac enhanced
    Recoil system... JP Captured
    Trigger... Geissele SSA-E
    Furniture... Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, MVG M-LOK
    Weaponlight... Surefire M300 Scout Light
    Leftover ambidextrous safety that I can't remember where I got...
    Leftover scope mount... same deal... just happened to work out well.

Anyway, the end result is the rifle is a bit heavier that the typical AR (as expected being a .308) but still very easily carried as a patrol carbine. In fact, the 14" barrel matches up with the larger .308 receiver so well, it's not really any longer than a 16" 5.56 AR.

I lose some velocity, and power going down to 14", but not so much as going crazy, and doing the full-on SBR 10" thing. It still packs a lot more punch than a 5.56. It's very controllable too. Not sure if that's because I'm a big dude (6'1" 280) with 28 years of Army experience, or the very effective Warcomp (probably both) but I like it. I like it a lot. I really like the ACSS reticle too.

I've only managed to take it out a few times since it's completion, but it's been 100% reliable in those times so far. Hoping it will stay that way. The BA Hanson barrel is supposed to be a 1" guarantee of accuracy. Well, I've seen close to that, but I haven't seen that. At least not yet. Not gonna say I got a dud though because it's probably me, but it's close enough that I'm not gonna complain. Besides, we all have this "every single gun must shoot 1" groups" mentality these days, and for a patrol carbine just being close to that is great in my book. Especially in the hands of a mid 50s retired half cripple.

Also of note is the barrel twist. It's a 1/10. Everyone makes barrels in 1/10 these days for the heavier rounds. I got my hands on a stash of the 130 gr Federal T762TNB1 made for the Army's short barrel SCAR project as I figured a short barrel round would do well in my little 14"gun. but turns out it's quite expensive to find an AR barrel in 1/12 twist... It shoots the heavier rounds better. However, at close ranges, it's still plenty accurate.

Just when I think I'm going to chill on my builds for a while I see something that either inspires me or reminds me of a project that I've had on the shelf too long. This does both!!

It's an outstanding build with some quality parts and you should be proud of it. I would like to get some input from you on a couple of parts.
    1. The Lantac enhanced BCG - what performance or "enhanced" functionality do you see this BCG giving you? The best BCG I've ever had my hands on was my LMT MWS BCG, it was an amazing BCG. For my other 308 builds, I've either used BA BCG's or in my last build a Toolcraft 308 BCG. It works as designed, but doesn't bring any additional functionality to the table.
    2. JP Captured spring - I'm not sure if you have shot another AR 308 to compare it to, but do you believe it's reducing felt recoil? One of my goals if...well WHEN I build a shorter barrel 308 will be an attempt to mitigate some of the recoil without impacting reliability both short term and long term. What factors influenced you to go this with this buffer system?

Again, I just want to tip the hat to you brother. You've always put really solid builds together and this is no exception. I agree with you on the purpose - I won't be building a short barrel 308 because I want to ring the 1000yd gong. I will build a short barrel 308 because I want a bigger hammer that's more maneuverable and usable in tight spaces. I also agree with you on the weight thing. I've never been a fan of the uber lightweight AR's or guys bitching and moaning about how heavy their AR is. That said, I did end up selling my MWS because with a can, and running drills with it, my left shoulder was just killing me for days afterwards. So when I built my current 16" 308, I did pick up a Troy carbon fiber MLOK rail. I haven't seen any negatives of using that rail, but I also know that it's not as sturdy as that built like a tank MWS monolithic system. But it was a compromise that I was willing to live with. Thanks for taking time to respond, look forward to you input.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Just when I think I'm going to chill on my builds for a while I see something that either inspires me or reminds me of a project that I've had on the shelf too long. This does both!!

It's an outstanding build with some quality parts and you should be proud of it. I would like to get some input from you on a couple of parts.
    1. The Lantac enhanced BCG - what performance or "enhanced" functionality do you see this BCG giving you? The best BCG I've ever had my hands on was my LMT MWS BCG, it was an amazing BCG. For my other 308 builds, I've either used BA BCG's or in my last build a Toolcraft 308 BCG. It works as designed, but doesn't bring any additional functionality to the table.
    2. JP Captured spring - I'm not sure if you have shot another AR 308 to compare it to, but do you believe it's reducing felt recoil? One of my goals if...well WHEN I build a shorter barrel 308 will be an attempt to mitigate some of the recoil without impacting reliability both short term and long term. What factors influenced you to go this with this buffer system?

Again, I just want to tip the hat to you brother. You've always put really solid builds together and this is no exception. I agree with you on the purpose - I won't be building a short barrel 308 because I want to ring the 1000yd gong. I will build a short barrel 308 because I want a bigger hammer that's more maneuverable and usable in tight spaces. I also agree with you on the weight thing. I've never been a fan of the uber lightweight AR's or guys bitching and moaning about how heavy their AR is. That said, I did end up selling my MWS because with a can, and running drills with it, my left shoulder was just killing me for days afterwards. So when I built my current 16" 308, I did pick up a Troy carbon fiber MLOK rail. I haven't seen any negatives of using that rail, but I also know that it's not as sturdy as that built like a tank MWS monolithic system. But it was a compromise that I was willing to live with. Thanks for taking time to respond, look forward to you input.
    Thanks for the kind words. Quite the opposite I got what I was not leaving my Mausers in their original factory, unusable to my old eyes. condition...

1. The "enhanced" part of the Lantac, is supposed to be that is delays the unlocking a bit, and softens up the recoil impulse. It is also supposed to work very well when suppressed, keeping more of the gas out of your face.

2. The silent captured recoil spring kit is supposed to A. help with the annpoying "twang" of the spring. Some rifles do this more than others, and I've just been wanting to try it on a build, so this was it. B. I got the kit with 3 different springs in case I needed to tune it a bit. I was wondering how it would run with the 14" barrel, and the Lantac. Turns out I haven't had to change it. I suppose I could to see if it's any better than it is now, but I liked the way it runs, and it's been 100% reliable, so I just left it as it came. My guess is that both Lantac, and Ballistic Advantage did their job right on their products, so the standard spring just worked.

Their dogs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12