Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: technical question on the colt side swivel mount

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    It doesn't matter unless you have Rain Man levels of OCD.
    ahah i work with many OCD patients, it can be much wore trust me

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Number is aft on a US Army FN M4a1. Sample of one. I can’t confirm right now if its the same on a Colt M4a1. You might be able to do a Google Image search. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some that are “backwards” in the Mil. I doubt it matters in any way.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Number is aft on a US Army FN M4a1. Sample of one. I can’t confirm right now if its the same on a Colt M4a1. You might be able to do a Google Image search. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some that are “backwards” in the Mil. I doubt it matters in any way.
    Thank you! i appreciate very much. I agree it certainly isn't an important detail dor the build, i have many parts on the rifle that are not even issue or used by the military (random sling, qrp3 aimpoint mount, o light flashlight). I am not so picky for clone correctness but i have learned to be patient and, if there is time, to inform myself on any detail before doing somehing to my firearms. installing that mount is quite a PITA. i know myself and i know that if i go into a gunshop and i notice that the mount is backwards on my rifle, i'd have the temptation to reinstall it. Since i have plenty of time now, i am doing a bit of research before moving on. I'm sure the rifle won't walk away in the meantime! Plus it is always an occasion to talk with some folks here on the forum

Anyway, is the FN M4A1 your issued rifle? In this case, if you are in a shitty place, stay safe.

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt M4A1 SOCOM. Built by Colt. The part number faces the rear on it.
    DK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukr View Post
    I have a Colt M4A1 SOCOM. Built by Colt. The part number faces the rear on it.
    thanks for the answer! the swivel of your rifle folds toward the muzzle or toward the handguard? in the first case it seems that also at the factory there is no a right way to mount the bar (which makes sense since it is symmetrical)

Feedback Score
    This is the stock photo found here:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...ts-rail-forend

As you can see, the loop folds flat towards the muzzle.

36974.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLee0509 View Post

36974.jpg
    Mine does this, also.
    DK

Feedback Score

36974.jpg
    I have a 6920 SOCOM, the older one with no, "Property of..." marking.

My swivel came mounted the opposite way, so it folded towards the handguard. I had to take it off and face it the other way, folded down towards the muzzle, so I could easily slide the rail protector on and off.

I dont think it really matters which way it faces.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broke_shooter View Post
    I dont think it really matters which way it faces.
    I'm not 100% but believe if it is on backwards (folding flat towards rear), It can make it difficult to install the RAS covers because the sling loop would be in the way.

Edited to add: Sorry didn't see you clarified that before I posted. IIRC I had to do the same thing after installing a RASII.
    Last edited by CLee0509; 04-25-20 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    I'm not 100% but believe if it is on backwards (folding flat towards rear), It can make it difficult to install the RAS covers because the sling loop would be in the way.

Edited to add: Sorry didn't see you clarified that before I posted. IIRC I had to do the same thing after installing a RASII.
    I should have been more clear also when I said it doesnt matter which way it faces, I meant from a functional standpoint. I had my sling mounted on it with it facing both ways and it works just fine. The only con to mounting it the "wrong" way is like you said, it makes it almost impossible to mount the panel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast