Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pepper spray / bear spray

Feedback Score

Pepper spray / bear spray

I'm looking for whats the best pepper spray / OC that my 16 year old daughter can carry on her key chain. I have no experience with this stuff other than gas in the Marine's... recommendations on type / brand?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VOS824...p_mob_ap_share

I purchased this stuff for family members. Very potent. Contains green dye. Makes it easier for cops to identify the offender.

Make sure she replaces the can annually. This one might be a bit big for keychain carry. The Fox brand was popular with LE agencies back in the pre Taser days.
    Last edited by signal4l; 04-20-20 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I'm looking for whats the best pepper spray / OC that my 16 year old daughter can carry on her key chain. I have no experience with this stuff other than gas in the Marine's... recommendations on type / brand?

Thanks!
    Far as I know, two trusted brands used by LE etc, are still Fix Labs and Saber Red. I suspect Fox has the edge ...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I like POM. Its the only one I've been able to get my wife to carry and it looks very discreet. Plus it has a better safety than many of the others I've seen.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I like POM. Its the only one I've been able to get my wife to carry and it looks very discreet. Plus it has a better safety than many of the others I've seen.
    Having a can with a good safety is important. You need to be careful with the Fox Lab canisters. If a key, coin or other item gets wedged under the button it can discharge.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post

Thanks!
    Former OC/Chem Agents instructor here. There are numerous things to consider when choosing an OC projector.

The first, IMO. is spray pattern. The three types are 1) streamers - just like it says - the OC comes out in a steady stream, generally the range is 12 to 15 feet; 2) mist/fog pattern - a cone shaped mist pattern, generally range is 6 to 8 feet; 3) foam - the oc is contained in a foam that adheres to the face/area struck.

OC is a solid particulate that is suspended in a solvent/carrier, generally either oil or alcohol. For OC to work effectively, particles must have direct contact with the eyes or respiratory tract - OC doesn't vaporize and drift through the air as a chemical agent does - the particles have to have direct contact.

Based on that description, it would seem that the fog/mist would be a good choice. However, the problem with the cone shaped pattern is two-fold 1) there is a better chance of the user or bystanders getting contaminated; 2) the fog/mist are more disrupted by wind, lessening effectiveness.

(I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE SHOP - FINISH LATER)

Generally, I would go with a streamer versus a cone.

The next consideration, IMO is size. OC deployment is not a little 'pssst' and done. Once again, you need the OC to contact the eyes and the respiratory tract. You will need to spray the person for several seconds in order to assure a reasonable degree of incapacitation.

Realistically, a key chain device is not going to be small enough for pocket carry, it is a purse deal.

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...lease-key-ring

Folks need to practice, so hit the practice spray button when you order.

Actually the training videos on that sight are okay - things I would consider deviating from 1) 2 to 3 seconds on target; 2) Sneak attack - do not display spray - with the sabre product, this means you have to practice moving the lever 'off safe' to the 'fire' position while concealed alongside your leg, in a purse, etc. Do not let the offender see the canister before you spray, they will often close eyes, duck head and charge. Surprise them. The best results are to get them while they are talking so there is a better chance of respiratory effects. This, of course, may mean being able to articulate why you felt it was necessary to use force w/o a warning.

In one snippet the guy compared the offender to a train coming at you and you need to get off the tracks - move after you spray. Ideally unass the area. If the assault took place in a parking garage either get into the car and leave (may not be possible - guy may be mobile) or run to a place of safety. Most folks don't curl up in a little ball and cry for mommy when they've been sprayed, you've merely temporarily degraded their vision, don't hang around until they've figured out they can open their eyes. Get out of Dodge.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-21-20 at 12:46.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I keep a fox labs fog grenade in the truck. I put it in there when the "road block protests" were getting big around DFW.

As far as the key chain carry, a can the size of a tylenol bottle actually has quite a bit of volume.

I would say with OC from experience; When you use it, everyone is likely to get some residual. Wouldnt be a bad idea to get some on a paper towel and rub on the skin at a minimum to show what the pain/irritation would be.

Sprays have more distance and splash than the foam. Splash and running down because of sweat isn't the worst. If you're worried about bystanders, I would ask why are they so close to the target if they're not involved or why are they not helping her or running away as well.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    I keep a fox labs fog grenade in the truck. ........
    Those. Are. Awesome.

The two ounce and five ounce ones are really nice. Nothing says "Git offa my lawn!" like a cloud of liquid hatred.

They are about 30 bucks a pop, but very useful when you need to do a Reebok Retreat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Sprays have more distance and splash than the foam. Splash and running down because of sweat isn't the worst. If you're worried about bystanders, I would ask why are they so close to the target if they're not involved or why are they not helping her or running away as well.
    Not sure what you meant by the bolded.

With foam if the dude is wearing glasses you may not get any eye contamination. Or, if you don't put some foam in the eye he may be able to wipe it away quick.

With a streamer, just drench their forehead until it runs down into their eyes.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Former OC/Chem Agents instructor here. There are numerous things to consider when choosing an OC projector.

The first, IMO. is spray pattern. The three types are 1) streamers - just like it says - the OC comes out in a steady stream, generally the range is 12 to 15 feet; 2) mist/fog pattern - a cone shaped mist pattern, generally range is 6 to 8 feet; 3) foam - the oc is contained in a foam that adheres to the face/area struck.

OC is a solid particulate that is suspended in a solvent/carrier, generally either oil or alcohol. For OC to work effectively, particles must have direct contact with the eyes or respiratory tract - OC doesn't vaporize and drift through the air as a chemical agent does - the particles have to have direct contact.

Based on that description, it would seem that the fog/mist would be a good choice. However, the problem with the cone shaped pattern is two-fold 1) there is a better chance of the user or bystanders getting contaminated; 2) the fog/mist are more disrupted by wind, lessening effectiveness.

(I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE SHOP - FINISH LATER)

Generally, I would go with a streamer versus a cone.

The next consideration, IMO is size. OC deployment is not a little 'pssst' and done. Once again, you need the OC to contact the eyes and the respiratory tract. You will need to spray the person for several seconds in order to assure a reasonable degree of incapacitation.

Realistically, a key chain device is not going to be small enough for pocket carry, it is a purse deal.

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...lease-key-ring

Folks need to practice, so hit the practice spray button when you order.

Actually the training videos on that sight are okay - things I would consider deviating from 1) 2 to 3 seconds on target; 2) Sneak attack - do not display spray - with the sabre product, this means you have to practice moving the lever 'off safe' to the 'fire' position while concealed alongside your leg, in a purse, etc. Do not let the offender see the canister before you spray, they will often close eyes, duck head and charge. Surprise them. The best results are to get them while they are talking so there is a better chance of respiratory effects. This, of course, may mean being able to articulate why you felt it was necessary to use force w/o a warning.

In one snippet the guy compared the offender to a train coming at you and you need to get off the tracks - move after you spray. Ideally unass the area. If the assault took place in a parking garage either get into the car and leave (may not be possible - guy may be mobile) or run to a place of safety. Most folks don't curl up in a little ball and cry for mommy when they've been sprayed, you've merely temporarily degraded their vision, don't hang around until they've figured out they can open their eyes. Get out of Dodge.
    Tons of great info here. Very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast