Thread: Aero Precision M5 handguard preferences?

Feedback Score

Aero Precision M5 handguard preferences?

Hey all! Many of you have been helpful in the past and I would love to get some recommendations on hand-guards. The build is an Aero Precision M5 upper and lower, I got a barrel from Ballistic Advantage (20" government tactical.) It's my understanding the AP uppers are the tall profile (.210"?) I have also read somewhere that the Midwest tall handguards are not quite the same height but close (so do I want to avoid them or is this BS.) I would prefer not to use one that requires shimming the barrel nut. Rifle length gas system, so as to the length I want it to be as short as possible while covering the gas tube, as long as it covers most of the gas block I'm good. MLOK prefered, more than likely accessories won't be added but maybe, same plane BUIS will be used.

So what did you use, what do you like?

Thanks all!
    "You might shoot better with a better gun, but a better gun doesn't make you a better shooter" ....... (me)

Feedback Score
    I used the Aero Precision R-one.

So far I like it.

15" is like 9 oz.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    A 13” will cover the gas tube on a rifle system, as would a 12.5”. If you want to cover that gas block, 13” generally will.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 04-11-20 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I like Aero Precision, and would recommend one of their handguard options for a guaranteed good fit without gaps or other issues. My pick is the M5e1 setup where the handguard attaches directly to the upper, not via the barrel nut, but that only works if you buy both the upper and handguard from them. If you have a conventional upper (M5 or other brand) then the S-1 or R-1 would be your best options.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The 20” .308 I just built has an Aero S-One on it. I have an R-One in a couple of other 5.56 builds and they both are solid rails and the shims are potato head simple. The nice part about the M5 rails is that the barrel nut uses a standard barrel nut wrench, instead of a special one. I am getting ready to do a 16” build and it will have an SLR rail on it. If it were me, I’d grab one of the Aero rails.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just completed an 18" Aero .308. I used a CMT Tactical 15" UPHR Mod 2-HP. Fit perfectly on the Aero M5 upper and my 18" Criterion Hybrid barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I just completed an 18" Aero .308. I used a CMT Tactical 15" UPHR Mod 2-HP. Fit perfectly on the Aero M5 upper and my 18" Criterion Hybrid barrel.

Congrats on the very nice looking build! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I'm curious how that barrel shoots. What BCG did you use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Congrats on the very nice looking build! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I'm curious how that barrel shoots. What BCG did you use?
    I haven't had chance the range I normally go to is currently closed.

I am using an Aero M5 carrier and I got a head spaced Fulton Armory bolt from Criterion along with my barrel. The guy I spoke to at Criterion said the Fulton bolts work great with the Aero carriers.