Thread: Considering a Troy carbon fiber handguard, or SLR ION...

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Considering a Troy carbon fiber handguard, or SLR ION...

I've decided to build another 308 after being away from them for a while. I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible, so I selected a 16" barrel, and Aero Precision receivers. I've narrowed my choices for handguard down to the following: 15" Troy carbon fiber handguard, or 13.7" SLR ION. My concern with either choice is durability, and fitment. Regarding Troy's carbon fiber handguard, how well made is it? How straight and true is the upper rail? Does it fit to the upper receiver precisely, or is it poorly made and sloppy fitting? In regards to the SLR, my only concern is the way they use a plastic spacer to align the rail to the upper, and the thin minimalist construction. Anybody who has used either, please feel free to chime in with your feedback. Thanks!
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-20-20 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I haven’t assembled yet, but pulled the handguard, barrel but, and hardware out just for you.

It seems nice. Don’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

Pic for weight:

I guess a little hard to see, but altogether shows 10.83 oz for a 15” 308 handguard.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I haven’t assembled yet, but pulled the handguard, barrel but, and hardware out just for you.

It seems nice. Don’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

Pic for weight:

I guess a little hard to see, but altogether shows 10.83 oz for a 15” 308 handguard.
    Thanks for doing that! 10 oz is awesome, and it looks like the finish is pretty nice. I'm leaning more towards the Troy. From what I've read the SLR comes with an aluminum barrel nut, and that doesn't sit right with me.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-22-20 at 23:24.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Thanks for doing that! 10 oz is awesome, and it looks like the finish is pretty nice. I'm leaning more towards the Troy. From what I've read the SLR comes with an aluminum barrel nut, and that doesn't sit right with me.
    There you go!!! I like the pricing over here. https://ar15discounts.com/collection...-10-handguards I have bought several Matrix Aero hand guards for AR15's from these guys in the past. Another good source is Joebob Outfitters.

I have a special hate for anything Troy. We can leave it at that.