Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which charge weight, ocw

Feedback Score

Which charge weight, ocw

Loads at 22.7, .9, 23.1, .3 .5, .7, .9 of h322, 62gr hpbt, 100 yards. They start to left and go left to right and so on. Wind was really blowing hard and moving the Target stand around a little. I was thinking 23.3-.7 somewhere in there. What are you guys thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ubet, how big are those orange circles?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ubet, how big are those orange circles?

PB
    About 4" diameter. The wind was moving the Target back and forth rocking it too.

Feedback Score
    Who's bullet and what OAL are you loading those at. I just did a ladder on some 62gr. Hornady SPBT. And your starting load is were my max load ended. I used H322 and started at 20.5, then increased in .3gr. increments, OAL 2.200. My best was at 22.5 shooting 1 MOA @ 100 yds. This was through a 16" FN CHF CL barrel with a 1/7 twist. My worst groups were better than your best, but my target was steady and was not fighting any wind. If I was you I would start over with this in some better conditions, you really did not learn anything if your target was moving around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    Who's bullet and what OAL are you loading those at. I just did a ladder on some 62gr. Hornady SPBT. And your starting load is were my max load ended. I used H322 and started at 20.5, then increased in .3gr. increments, OAL 2.200. My best was at 22.5 shooting 1 MOA @ 100 yds. This was through a 16" FN CHF CL barrel with a 1/7 twist. My worst groups were better than your best, but my target was steady and was not fighting any wind. If I was you I would start over with this in some better conditions, you really did not learn anything if your target was moving around.
    Loaded at mag length.
    I completely agree I need a better day. That and I did pull a couple shots. Using rounded targets isn't as precise as a square either.

I'm only about .4 above Max using hodgon and Sierra data

Feedback Score
    The 62gr. SPBT that I am using are so new on the market there was no load data for them. I tried using both Hodgen and Sierra to no avail. The bullets I am using have a serrated cantilure on them and they were sticking out about .020 from the neck rim @ 2.225.So I loaded to 2.200. I have been using the 55gr. SPBT for along time, if you put the 62 and 55 side by side the tip of the bullet to the cantilure were identical. The only difference being the 62 was longer below the cantilure. So... I started with the 55gr. load data. At 100 yds I was getting some bullet drop with the first loads, but as the loads went up in grains they were starting to come up. Scope was dialed in for the 55gr. and I did not change it. Then I got to the sweet spot and the rounds were hitting right on target. Just so happens the sweet spot was identical to the 55gr. load. But because the bullet is longer below the cantilure the bullet had a natural pressure increase thus pushing the heavier bullet better with the same load data as the 55gr. bullets. Start low and work up is the best rule of thumb, and don't go over max loads working up a ladder until you have some rounds under your belt. Generally going max and over is never the most accurate round from my experience. Next time out I am going to chrono my 62's compared to my 55's

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    If I was you I would start over with this in some better conditions, you really did not learn anything if your target was moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I completely agree I need a better day. That and I did pull a couple shots. Using rounded targets isn't as precise as a square either.

Right: shooting groups in crummy conditions doesn't produce any useful data...

What did your chrono say? Chrono data would be useful, regardless of conditions.

Feedback Score
    I went out to redo it today and messed it up. I was really pissed. So back to the drawing board

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Do you have a chrono? If not then you are kinda pissing in the wind. You’ll want one to Find the most consistent velocities with different charges but all other variables the same...bullet, COAL, neck height and tension, primer, new brass etc.

As far as those groups, what I’m seeing is that all the vertical spread is very similar between the different charges weights. So the charge weight is not changing the bullets vertical flight path that much. It’s the wind drift that was giving you the hard time. And a rocking target.

Also I’m assuming this was at 100 yards. With a scope or red dot or irons?

Try to shoot at a longer distance and see what the vertical spread becomes then with different charges.
    Last edited by matemike; 04-24-20 at 23:09.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP, When grouping, testing, etc it helps to maintain consistency and reduce potential for errors. Not sure what optic your are using if any, try to use targets that allow a clean view of the aiming area and I find color also helps. Avoid bright or reflective targets, light blue or red squares or triangles seem to work well for me. This allows you to section or "quarter" the aiming area to have repeatable sighting. Position-support the rifle so you have a steady gun and maintain position while executing solid fundamentals. As you already know, you are testing so weather conditions matter. I know we all get anxious to get out there! Yeah, sometimes these target stands will rock fore and aft which will give you vertical and is frustrating.

Hope this helps and you find a good load!

Hey, what's the equipment? If possible, I like ladder testing and normally group test after to "double check" what I see.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast