Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which charge weight, ocw

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    OP, When grouping, testing, etc it helps to maintain consistency and reduce potential for errors. Not sure what optic your are using if any, try to use targets that allow a clean view of the aiming area and I find color also helps. Avoid bright or reflective targets, light blue or red squares or triangles seem to work well for me. This allows you to section or "quarter" the aiming area to have repeatable sighting. Position-support the rifle so you have a steady gun and maintain position while executing solid fundamentals. As you already know, you are testing so weather conditions matter. I know we all get anxious to get out there! Yeah, sometimes these target stands will rock fore and aft which will give you vertical and is frustrating.

Hope this helps and you find a good load!

Hey, what's the equipment? If possible, I like ladder testing and normally group test after to "double check" what I see.
    The rifle is a Colt lower with a sionics mid length 16" upper. Giessele trigger and a pst2 2-10. I'm using an atlas bipod I stole off my precision bolt gun. I would do a ladder test but don't really have the distance. This is a free range I'm using. Thinking of joining one of the clubs here though. It sucks not being able to go out my door and go to 1k if I wanted to. I realized soon as I got out there I grabbed the wrong targets.

Unfortunately the wind never quits at this range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    This is a free range I'm using. Thinking of joining one of the clubs here...

Unfortunately the wind never quits at this range.

My 2¢:

1. I don't know your location (so you might fill in your profile), but it's well worth it to spend the money to join a range.

Considering what I spend on guns and ammo (and various accessories and targets and whatever), the dues to be a member at my range are negiglible...

2. I have the same wind problem... My range is in a long canyon, and the wind is strong and unpredictable most afternoons.

Generally, though, it's calm in the early morning. So, if I want to shoot rifles, then I make sure I'm there and gone before 11AM...

3. As somebody else mentioned, a chrono is indispensible. A load with a big ES/SD is a non-starter, and you can figure that out regardless of conditions.

As came up in another thread very recently, a decent chrono ($100-150) will pay for itself in terms of wasted ammo/components and time/frustration and other wear/tear.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If it was me with what you have to work with, load 10 rounds each of the .3/.5/.7. Fire 2 groups of 5 each, pick one and run it. You are not shooting what may be considered a "precision" gun, bordering on an "SPR" If you can squeeze under 1.5", run it and be happy.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12