Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 124 +P v 147 v 300BLK 190gr

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

9mm 124 +P v 147 v 300BLK 190gr

Hey experts,

Looking for some input on duty/carry loads. When I work OCONUS, I've always been issued something like a Speer GD 124 +P or the HST and Winchester Ranger equivalents. So I've always figured those rounds were safe bet for personal purchase here at home. But being home, I have more options that I have at work so my questions are:

1) In terms of 9mm, which performs better 124gr +P or 147gr? Does platform dictate (handgun v PCC)?

2) What would perform better ballistically in an urban environment: Some type of K sized PCC loaded with 124 +P or 147's or Sig Rattler with Hornady 190gr SUB-X?

I have a Sig Rattler that I just picked up some of the SUB-X for but I have no way of testing velocities or terminal performance. I'm wondering if an MPX(k) loaded with some type of 9mm would perform better. FYI, both running suppressed.

Thank for your time!

ETA: Platforms in use are the SIG MPX 4.5" (9mm), SIG Rattler 5.5" (300BLK), and Glock(s) (9mm). Rounds considered are Speer Gold Dot in 124 +P and 147 & Hornady SUB-X 190gr.
    Last edited by Sugar; 04-21-20 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    1. Both are great rounds. I would go with 147 for less recoil since the +p is not necessary for performance.

2. Why are you limiting 300blk to subs? Get the 300 and run 110gr black tips. Its a significant damage boost(lol) vs pistol calibers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't seen any testing to make me want to use subsonic 300 BLK. (Except for fun or varmints, and then it is indeed fun) Supersonic 300 BLK puts you into rifle terminal performance, even from PDW length barrels.

The heavier for caliber in service pistol loads tend to be a little more consistent on barriers and penetration. So 147gr in 9mm is my preference. It's also subsonic if sound is a concern.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Depends on platform.

Handgun: 147 are probably tops in consistency, but the 124+P are almost as good.

PCC: these seem to be best with the hottest loads possible, so NATO pressure 124 or 115 maximize the performance potential in this platform.

300BLK VSBR: supersonic expanding loads like the afore mentioned 110 black tips will trump the terminal performance and range of any 9mm load. The performance is literally 2x better.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    In short barrels (like 8"-9") I'd take a supersonic, quality, 110gr HP 300BLK over a 5.56mm load, not even gonna bother to compare it to 9mm. I'm talking ranges out to maybe 200m of reasonable effectiveness with those barrel lengths.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-20-20 at 18:43.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You don't say what you are shooting, but some of the Euro pistols are designed to shoot 124 grain bullets and you'll most likely see the best reliability using the round it was designed to shoot. That being said, I own a bunch of Euro pistols and while I don't shoot 147gr a ton, I've never ran into a reliability issue. Just something to be aware of at least.

I usually hand load and reserve 147gr for subsonic applications and use 124gr HP's for self defense rounds. I like the higher velocity of the 124's to ensure reliable expansion.

YMMV IMBCFOS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    1. Both are great rounds. I would go with 147 for less recoil since the +p is not necessary for performance.

2. Why are you limiting 300blk to subs? Get the 300 and run 110gr black tips. Its a significant damage boost(lol) vs pistol calibers.
    1) Good to know about 147gr v 124+P. What makes the +P not necessary?

2) I do have 110 VMAX on hand but for the situation I intend to use the Rattler, sound signature reduction was a plus if I could get good terminal ballistics out of a sub sonic round which the SUB-X is supposed to be exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I haven't seen any testing to make me want to use subsonic 300 BLK. (Except for fun or varmints, and then it is indeed fun) Supersonic 300 BLK puts you into rifle terminal performance, even from PDW length barrels.

The heavier for caliber in service pistol loads tend to be a little more consistent on barriers and penetration. So 147gr in 9mm is my preference. It's also subsonic if sound is a concern.
    Okay, so sounds like I should start shifting towards 147gr if ballistically it performs better out of a handgun and subsonic is a plus. Does the 9mm 147gr Gold Dot (and other defensive rounds) still perform well terminally once they are subsonic through a PCC with can?

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Depends on platform.

Handgun: 147 are probably tops in consistency, but the 124+P are almost as good.

PCC: these seem to be best with the hottest loads possible, so NATO pressure 124 or 115 maximize the performance potential in this platform.

300BLK VSBR: supersonic expanding loads like the afore mentioned 110 black tips will trump the terminal performance and range of any 9mm load. The performance is literally 2x better.
    Are the 124's and 115's performing better out of a PCC due to increased velocity? Is it just giving you the ability to push that PCC further? To be honest for the situations I am looking at using these subguns, noise reduction would be a plus since I'm not really looking to push the envelop range wise on the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    In short barrels (like 8"-9") I'd take a supersonic, quality, 110gr HP 300BLK over a 5.56mm load, not even gonna bother to compare it to 9mm. I'm talking ranges out to maybe 200m of reasonable effectiveness with those barrel lengths.
    My Rattler has a 5.5" barrel haha. It's a short one for sure. It's really intended to be a niche setup for use inside of house or PSD in an urban environment. I was originally thinking about using an MPX with 4.5" (suppressed) barrel shooting 124+P or 147 but that's where this post came from because I have some SUB-X on hand and I have a Rattler. So I was thinking maybe mo betta to run an expanding subsonic rifle round v a 124+P or 147 through a PCC; really looking out how they perform inside the 100.

APPRECIATE the responses dudes!

Feedback Score
    I am not a fan of a 5.5" barrel rifle in 300 blk using subsonic ammo.

I fail to see what it give you, other than a poor substitute for a PCC.

I have a B&T TP9, that also has a 5.5" barrel, but due to design it is even shorter than the Rattler. It has magazines that take up less storage space than your rifle magazines. I really like in concept the Leigh Defense round in 9mm a 65 grain bullet going at least 1800fps.

With a rifle you can get down so short that you lose what made a rifle a superior tool to begin with.

Feedback Score
    1. The +p is a little better for the 124gr, but not the 147, so you can skip the +p when using the 147gr.

2. For sd/hd, the benefits vs noise of supersonics is well worth the trade-off. I don’t understand why you find supersonic acceptable for 9mm, but not 300blk. If you are popping pests in the back yard, sure, go subsonic. But why limit terminal performance for no real benefit in a life/death situation? The silencer is going to make a huge difference even with supers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you want quiet + known terminal performance, PCC with 147gr would be my choice.

147gr is subsonic in 9mm because that is the max velocity at normal pressure. It's not downloaded to be subsonic. All the 147gr bullets are designed to function at that velocity, so you are not giving up any terminal performance.

124gr +P has a noticeably sharper recoil in a pistol for me, so I just stick to 147gr in all my 9mm. But I wouldn't feel any need to dump good quality 124gr if I had it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast