Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a 10" SBR Effective at 50 yds Using 75gr. Ammo

Feedback Score

Is a 10" SBR Effective at 50 yds Using 75gr. Ammo

Given that in my Sig P516 suppressed, the least failing ammo turns out to be Hornady 75gr TAP SBR, I'm wanting to know at what range it will become ineffective. Given the 10" barrel and the starting muzzle velocity from a 14.5" barrel test on these forums indicates 2460fps, what could I expect at 50yds from my 10" Sig? I've seen tests indicating from 22 - 30 fps/ft change in lowering barrel length each inch. I've not found ballistic charts for this round from a 10" barrel so am thinking a drop of 250fps down to 2200fps. What could I expect at 50yds? Is there still enough velocity for this round to be effective for home defense?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Not enough of additional velocity drop at 50 to be concerned.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Adequate for home defense.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lot's of dudes have used 10.3" barrels with M855 and had good success. I dont have any charts or data that I know the internet wants, but there is the GWOT; where a very common load out was mk18 +green tip. Heavy BTHP are considered very effective man stoppers.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd guess it is probably good out to 150-175 or so.

https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammu...-gr-tap-sbr#!/

TAP® SBR™ is designed specifically for 10.5"-11.5" SBR’s by using proprietary propellant technology and a bullet designed with technology from industry leading Critical Duty® FlexLock® bullets. TAP® SBR™ provides exceptional ammunition performance in SBR’s suppressed or unsuppressed, with virtually no flash or residue, dramatically reduced sound signature, will not foul or overheat suppressors, uniform velocity and accuracy, and provides controllable rate of fire in automatic platforms. Designed to meet the requirements of the FBI protocol, TAP® SBR™ is the optimum choice for 10.5"-11.5" barreled 5.56 rifles.

LMT CQB 1:7" (10.5") Muzzle 100 Yards 200 Yards

Velocity (FPS) 2201 1865 1566
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Thanks Mack. That was the info I was looking for. So over 1800fps at 50yds. I strongly suspect I'll not be spraying any ammo farther than that. BTW, I've seen no muzzle flash in the dark with the 6" Sig can on. So good to keep concealed Velocities must be pretty consistent since all the empties make a small pile at 4-4:30. No other ammo I've shot through this shorty is tighter. It is a tad expensive at about $0.89/pop.

Feedback Score
    I averaged 2229 one day, and 2210 another out of my 10.5” Noveske, with an Omega 300 on the end.

I had a nice chat with a Hornady LE guy a while back about this load when we were initiating our SBR program at work. The heavy bullet seemed counter-intuitive; I expected they would have used a lighter weight bullet to get more velocity out of a short barrel. He explained that they went with a heavier bullet for increased momentum / penetration and constructed it specifically for great performance on target at the velocities they were getting.

I can’t remember what he said for minimum expansion velocity, or expected effective range, but it was somewhere 200 yds or so, I believe. So yes, at 50 yds and well beyond you’re good! Just learn your trajectory and compensate.

What other loads have you tried? The Federal 223T3 or 556T3 load, although not specifically designed for SBR use, perform stellar. I get 2575fps out of the Noveske using the 223T3; the 556T3 is a few hundred fps faster. With 62gr Black Hills TTSX loads I get low 2630 or so, and better grouping than either the Hornady or Federal loads. These loads may give you a bit flatter trajectory if you want to stretch out a bit.

Bottom line, whatever you pick, learn your dope and practice and you’ll be in good shape.

Feedback Score
    I averaged 2229 one day, and 2210 another out of my 10.5” Noveske, with an Omega 300 on the end.

I had a nice chat with a Hornady LE guy a while back about this load when we were initiating our SBR program at work. The heavy bullet seemed counter-intuitive; I expected they would have used a lighter weight bullet to get more velocity out of a short barrel. He explained that they went with a heavier bullet for increased momentum / penetration and constructed it specifically for great performance on target at the velocities they were getting.

I can’t remember what he said for minimum expansion velocity, or expected effective range, but it was somewhere 200 yds or so, I believe. So yes, at 50 yds and well beyond you’re good! Just learn your trajectory and compensate.

What other loads have you tried? The Federal 223T3 or 556T3 load, although not specifically designed for SBR use, perform stellar. I get 2575fps out of the Noveske using the 223T3; the 556T3 is a few hundred fps faster. With 62gr Black Hills TTSX loads I get low 2630 or so, and better grouping than either the Hornady or Federal loads. These loads may give you a bit flatter trajectory if you want to stretch out a bit.

Bottom line, whatever you pick, learn your dope and practice and you’ll be in good shape.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Given that in my Sig P516 suppressed, the least failing ammo turns out to be Hornady 75gr TAP SBR
    Least failing?? What's that mean. Any AR should run almost all ammo reliably.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Least failing?? What's that mean. Any AR should run almost all ammo reliably.
    I totally agree. It's a long story that has not been finished/ See https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...s-Inconsistent if you have time. Sig wants it back but I need to put it back in factory condition - brace, original trigger, etc, etc. It has been form 1 with an engraved Trust on lower, so not sure how Sig will take to that. When I get time, I plan on paying a real armorer to fix the issue. Anyway, it runs good with the Hornady ammo and suppressor. It's just that practice ammo, which I have a lot of, is cheaper. The American Eagle ammo for the most part has ejection routes all over the clock from 1:00 to 5:00. I personally think that the velocity variation in the low cost ammo plays hell with the dwell time -

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast