Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vs old Model 10?

Feedback Score

New vs old Model 10?

I'm interested in buying my first S&W revolver, and I've settled on a Model 10 because there's something about the design that I've fallen in love with.
    Is there a specific reason to spend the extra money (a few hundred dollars) on one new from S&W or buy an older model? Either way I'd be purchasing online and having one shipped to an FFL, so I was thinking my best luck with getting a nice one without having it in hand would be buying new, but I've read a lot about older S&W revolvers being better in general.
    Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Old used 10 is usually cheaper. Especially a police traded one.

Older stuff was built better but there were still good and bad eras. You're not going to wear out either one
    Last edited by Arik; 04-20-20 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    Definitely buy an older one. There are still plenty of them out there, they’re still reasonably priced, and they don’t have that idiotic and unsightly lock on the side. Take your time looking and buy one that is “gently used”. (FWIW, I have a 3”, a 4” heavy barrel, & a 5” pencil barrel. I’m not a collector, they’re just good, reasonably priced firearms that I enjoy shooting).

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Definitely get an older one.
    Check timing before you close the deal.

Not much better in double action than a broke in K frame.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Older - NO lock

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are you going to include the model 64, which is the SS version of the model 10? I prefer my 64s to my model 10s, primarily due to the finish and not worrying about punishment to the blueing.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What is your budget?

I will tell you that a 3" Model 10 round butt commands a premium price these days. It's also a very sweet gun to use.

It was sort of the Glock 19 of it's day - a very size-efficient package. I have four Model 64's (a four-inch, a pair of three inch, and a two two-inch), and they are a very handy revolver. I also prefer them over the Model 10 due to ease of maintenance.

The advice about buying an older Smith without a lock is good.

And here is good introduction for thing to check when buying a used one: http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-re...ers-checklist/

Welcome to the Society of Revolver Accumulators - we have a lot of fun.

Feedback Score
    I'll second a used one and I'll second looking at the 64s. I've got an old NYPD 64 with 2 inch barrel and its nice and broken it. Also, with the stainless steel guns you can see the carbon building up on the front of the cylinder and can clean it. Used revolvers are a very good value as they tend to be in decent shape and you get a good price. Aim surplus had some used 64s for $399 for example, unfortunately they sold out. Just make sure you dig up one of the used revolver checklists you see running around before you buy a used one.
    Last edited by cd228; 04-21-20 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    I am 100% open to a Model 64 at the right price if I stumble across one local, I just have a thing for blued guns and would prefer the Model 10.
    I understand the difficulties of the finish, it's just a personal preference that I'm willing to not pay attention to if I find a 64 I can't walk away from.
    I was honestly hoping for the exact answer I got, buy an old one. That's a few hundred dollars cheaper, which means a few hundred dollars that I can spend on ammo and a good holster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Are you going to include the model 64, which is the SS version of the model 10? I prefer my 64s to my model 10s, primarily due to the finish and not worrying about punishment to the blueing.
    +1. While I prefer blued steel and walnut, there is no question that their stainless steel equivalents are every bit as good and not having to oil them as often is a real benefit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast