Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New vs old Model 10?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really like the look of the skinny barrel M10 . Maybe someday I'll own another one. I prefer the older no lock Smiths but if they made a newer model that I just had to have I would buy it but for now I have what "I need". Please expand your search to the M13/M65, the .357 mag version of the M10/M64 heavy barrel.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I like the 2" m10's, with the m12 (alloy frame) even better for pocket carry.

I have a few that I've bobbed hammers, removed single action capability on two of them to be DOA- with double action trigger jobs, as well as removing serrations from triggers.

A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I'd want an older one for reasons stated.

But read up on proper inspection. Any gun can be worn out, damaged, or abused.

I know a now- retired cop who loved talking about his old Model 10 HB. He was not the original owner. He tried to qualify with it for off-duty use. (Issue gun Glock 22) in front of several people the barrel fell off during his qual. I never saw the gun and cant tell you what went wrong but it was the talk of the week. Or two.

My guess is corrosion or someone (and maybe S&W) had worked on it / removed or replaced the barrel and messed it up. But then again he said he'd had it for years and had fired it at least some.

I'm just saying inspect well because guns do wear out and / or can have problems.

Hell my Beretta Tomcat just killed itself recently and now I have a gun for a church gun-buy or something.

Car-fax? Gun-fax? Gun-fox? 🤔
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-24-20 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Old for sure, especially 5 screw skinny 4", w/humpback hammer, they are sweet in DA.

Feedback Score
    That is a beautiful pistol! No matter what smith I end up with, I'll end up finding a set of stag grips to go on it I'm 95% sure

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'd want an older one for reasons stated.

But read up on proper inspection. Any gun can be worn out, damaged, or abused.

I know a now- retired cop who loved talking about his old Model 10 HB. He was not the original owner. He tried to qualify with it for off-duty use. (Issue gun Glock 22) in front of several people the barrel fell off during his qual. I never saw the gun and cant tell you what went wrong but it was the talk of the week. Or two.

My guess is corrosion or someone (and maybe S&W) had worked on it / removed or replaced the barrel and messed it up. But then again he said he'd had it for years and had fired it at least some.

I'm just saying inspect well because guns do wear out and / or can have problems.

Hell my Beretta Tomcat just killed itself recently and now I have a gun for a church gun-buy or something.

Car-fax? Gun-fax? Gun-fox? ��
    I probably wouldn't want to talk to anyone that seen that for a while if my BARREL fell off during range day lol
    That is the main reason I'm hesitant to end up buying a used on from the internet, because I've rarely seen them used locally

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately me and my dad managed to throw a rod or bend a valve in our work truck on the ride home, so no new toys for me for a WHILE. I'm still planning on buying one, I just don't think it'll be very soon now

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBevis View Post
    Unfortunately me and my dad managed to throw a rod or bend a valve in our work truck on the ride home, so no new toys for me for a WHILE. I'm still planning on buying one, I just don't think it'll be very soon now
    No doubt about it, the very next time you are in your LGS you will find one...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    No doubt about it, the very next time you are in your LGS you will find one...
    That's the bad part too, either that or the WASR10s I've been drooling over online

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBevis View Post
    That's the bad part too, either that or the WASR10s I've been drooling over online
    Never fails. But that's what layaway is for, those used items that can not be replaced on the shelf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast