Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig MPX

Feedback Score

Sig MPX

I got to spend a few hours at the range this weekend. A buddy of mine had his 4.5” Sig MPX there. At first glance I wasn’t interested. After I ran a few mags of 9mm through it I loved it. The fun factor was awesome! Evidently they are expensive and very hard to find. I can definitely see one of these in my future. Do any of you own these? I would like to know what your experiences with them have been like. The collapsible stock would make it a great little backpack gun. It would definitely be a fun gun to have but not a need.

Feedback Score
    Had a somewhat larger version of the MPX; loved how it was made, but mine was less than reliable, even after a trip to the mothership.
    Also, I'm a little perplexed at these ultra-short PCCs; they really gain little in handiness, and fail to give a boost in velocity compared to a handgun.
    I've got a Colt 9mm SBR (10.5"), and a CZ Scorp (8"). The Colts are made of unobtanium these days, but the Scorp is really worth a look. They are relatively inexpensive, as are their magazines ($18@ vs $60 for the SIG (!) ), and mine has proven extremely reliable no matter what I feed it. The standard irons are quite good, but a red dot is on mine. You will want a stock/brace.
    Yeah, PCCs are a ball. They make empties of full ones in a hellfire hurry!
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reply. After 179 views finally a response. I’ll take a look at the scorpion. The MPX is definitely expensive. Evidently it’s also very rare.

Feedback Score
    I bought a carbine length MPX in 2017, and it's better now than when I first got it.

Within the first 800 rounds, the tip of the firing pin broke off, Sig overnighted me a new firing pin, bolt, and bolt carrier, and I have had no issue since.

From my experience, gen one magazines are not as reliable as gen two mags. Or at least the stoppages I did have dropped off the map once I got rid of all my gen one mags. They also run best when they are clean, specifically the piston. I usually run into stoppages after I have fired 1500-2000 rounds(typically one or two stoppages within 90 or so rounds), but a good cleaning takes care of it.

I've SPRed it and put a 6.5" barrel on it, and I shoot it more now than when it had a 16' barrel, SPR PCCs are just cool and being a lefty myself, I like the setup. All in All, it's not that bad of a gun, and I do enjoy shooting. But all things considered, you can save money if you look at other options like the Scorpian, sucks paying almost $70 bucks for magazines.

Feedback Score
    I looked at a Scorpion and a Ruger PC carbine today both seemed a little clunky compared to the MPX..

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have an MPX, initially it needed a break in period. After that, I have run the shit out of it and it rocks on. I have an MP5, MPX and a B&T APC pro. The MPX can hold its own. But if I were buying a gun in that price range I would get a B&T APC pro. A couple hundred more, but IMHO, its worth it. MPX has been awesome and the controls are AR15 exact, so there is that. I have the 8 inch barrel I think it is. I never clean mine and I runs and runs. Sometimes, I will pour some Frog lube into it before a range trip, if its super crusty.

I don't think there are hard to find, check gunbroker.

Good luck and buy something, gun ranges are open!

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-02-20 at 19:28.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Good/thoughtful responses. I've looked at the Ruger, and was a little perplexed. Had one of the original Camp Carbines an eon ago; only full caps you could get were aftermarket, but they worked. The current one, with an aperture sight halfway down the barrel...wot were they thinking?
    Actually had the Scorp and the MPX simultaneously; got a deal on the SIG and was going to dump the CZ. No doubt the SIG was more elegant machinery, but it's claim of milder recoil/locked breech just wasn't there. I was told the (still relatively expensive) Gen I mags would work...nope, not reliably. The Gen IIs were better, but for that kind of money, no yeahbuts should be required. Took a beating on the mags, returned the SIG.
    (Full disclosure, I like SIGs, and have six of their pistols). I was just disappointed with the MPX.
    Anyone without a PCC simply needs to have one. Cheap to feed, shoot them in about any range that allows handguns, fun gun or home defense tool. Wish we could still get a happy switch.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Good/thoughtful responses. I've looked at the Ruger, and was a little perplexed. Had one of the original Camp Carbines an eon ago; only full caps you could get were aftermarket, but they worked. The current one, with an aperture sight halfway down the barrel...wot were they thinking?
    The current Ruger PCC is a takedown, so I'd wager the rear sight is mounted to the barrel to prevent any POI shift after take-down/reassembly (I don't own one). That's also why there are several aftermarket options for mounting an Aimpoint style RDS to the barrel or to aftermarket handguards that attach to the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Tx, I'm certain your are perzactly right...it does leave the question of 'why a takedown' or 'why an aperture' when open irons would make more sense in that position.
    Yeah, an optic on the barrel is the way to go in this case; I just like apertures, still shoot them pretty well, and like the simplicity.
    The red dot on the Scorp is my only exception.
    Thnx,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I have owned an 8 inch MPX for 3 years now. I love mine and have had zero issues with it, about 3K rds thru it. Like anything Sig, they sort out issues as they build em, so anything new generally is good to go vs the early models. I have 2 friends that purchased one after trying mine, their experience is the same as mine, zero issues. One runs a suppressor on an 8inch model, other has a 4.5 inch K. The 3 of us all agree, these are our favorite guns in our collections and will never part with them unless something better comes along.
    Last edited by ballen0032; 05-10-20 at 08:20.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast