Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical - Updated

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I know some shotgun classes that will be near you this year.

Greg Ellifritz will be in Cresson on October 2 & 3 for a combined Shotgun and Medical class with Lone Star Medics.

Palisades Training Group will be doing a shotgun class in April in East Texas neat Eustace. I'm going to be taking that, I know the people at that company.

Rob and Matt Haught will be at MeadHall in March. I'm in that class as well. It's full, but you might reach out to them for a stand-by slot.

A couple of other shotgun classes are in the works. I'll shoot you some details when they are solidified.

Trust me - shotgun and revolver classes are going to be a much bigger deal for the next few years.
    Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread lately, but thanks for the info. Please keep me updated.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Shot my new 1301 this weekend. Purchased 120 rounds of Remington Sluggers (advertised as Federal) from MidwayUSA. The 50 rounds i fired have my shoulder feeling damaged. Will probably not use the remainder of what came in the ammo can. In fact i can't see myself using it until light recoiling ammo becomes available again. I dont remember ever experiencing that type of recoil in my 870. Sorry if im slightly off topic but its important for people to know that though this shotgun is stellar, ammo selection is paramount to actually enjoying it.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 04-18-21 at 11:38.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Shot my new 1301 this weekend. Purchased 120 rounds of Remington Sluggers (advertised as Federal) from MidwayUSA. The 50 rounds i fired have my shoulder feeling damaged. Will probably not use the remainder of what came in the ammo can. In fact i can't see myself using it until light recoiling ammo becomes available again. I dont remember ever experiencing that type of recoil in my 870. Sorry if im slightly off topic but its important for people to know that though this shotgun is stellar, ammo selection is paramount to actually enjoying it.
    The stock recoil pad on the 1301 Tactical is a thin, hard, rubber. The Beretta MicroCore FIELD Recoil Pad is directly interchangeable and helps immensely. It also comes in a variety of thicknesses up to 1” so it also doubles as a spacer for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 05-02-21 at 22:57.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Picked up a Gen2 Beretta 1301 tactical this week. Starting the hunt/wait for the parts to do an LTT-ish build. Got the Nordic extension and Magpul stock enroute. I may do a different side saddle than the Aridus(maybe), and the foregrip may not change depending on what light I choose to put on it. Jury is still out on that one, but I do have a spare Pro-tac 2 laying around.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    The thread on the 1301 is over 400 pages on Pistol-Forums, LOL. I read more than I post, but this is a copy of a recent post I made there. With regards to the recoil, I haven't shot shotguns for years, so my memories are suspect. What I did notice was the Haught push-pull technique really works. A very distinct lighter perceived recoil. I had a limited amount of Flightcontrol 9 pellet ammo and the pattern density was amazing. At 15 yards the pattern was a single 1.5" hole with 1 or 2 flyers stretching the pattern by an inch or two. #4 Buck was a 10 in pattern. Federal Premium (NOT Flightcontrol) was better than the #4, but nothing that made you say wow. That Flightcontrol stuff is a world changer. Like eating a great Ribeye and not being satisfied with Ramen. So I'm on a couple of lists waiting for the Flightcontrol to come back in stock.

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

Most of my mods are ones that others have already done. The Nordic magazine extension and clamp with QD Mount and Pic rail, and ESSTAC shell card. The light is an Olight PL-PRO that I posted earlier but from a different angle so you can see how much it sticks out to the side, and how close the bezel is to the muzzle. The other modification is addition of a QD cup to the left side of the buttstock. Honestly, that was the toughest part to install. It is an Impact Weapons Components Mount-N-Slot Direct Attach Mount. First, locate where in the stock you want to drill a hole. I did a starter, smaller hole as a guide for the 1/2" dia hole needed by the mount. Removing the stock from the gun was simple. Thin phillips head screwdriver to remove the buttpad and an 11mm (I think it was 11, not the always lost 10mm) socket to remove the nut keeping it all together. The mount has a flange with two set screws to push against the inside of the stock. There is a split ring that goes into a groove on the outside of the socket that when completed, presses against the outside surface of the stock. So the cup itself is held by the tension between the two set screws on the inside pushing against the stock, and the split ring on the outside opposing the set screws. I did not consider the length of my allen wrench before selecting the location of the mount and drilling my hole. Keep in mind that you do not have complete access to the entire inside of the stock. There is actually only a small rectangular opening from the rear. Because it was very difficult to get the wrench into the set screws and then only being able to turn them maybe 10 degrees of rotation, I abandoned the instructions, tightened the screws in the flange to a depth that allowed just enough room to get the split ring in the groove on the outside. Then I did a little wrenching on the set screws. I had to hold the wrench with a pair of needle nose pliers and then fish around to get it in the set screw socket. Keep that in mind if you want to do this yourself.

I tried a Holosun 503 on the optic rail and it proved the value of the Aridus CROM. It is just too high. So I have a CROM on back order. A Pro-style lifter is on my list of things to get, and maybe a match-saver.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is there any particular reason you didn’t like the factory QD on the underside of the stock? I have a 1301 Comp for 3-gun and added the pro lifter. It was probably the second best mod after the +5 mag tube.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Is there any particular reason you didn’t like the factory QD on the underside of the stock? I have a 1301 Comp for 3-gun and added the pro lifter. It was probably the second best mod after the +5 mag tube.
    I like good slings, I don't like investing in a lot of them. Unlike video games, I only carry one long gun at a time. So for that reason, whenever it is practical, I have tried to standardize on QD mounts, and in roughly the same locations so I don't have to adjust the sling length. Shotguns are a problem. I actually prefer bottom mounts on a shotgun, front and rear. My preferred carry is African style, muzzle down on the left shoulder. It is low profile and very quick to shoulder if your left hand is on the forend. The downside is that you need to keep it secured with your left hand on the gun or sling as any movement will cause it to slip from your shoulder. I opted for the side sling setup for a couple of reasons, realizing it was an imperfect compromise. I don't like slings with asymmetric sling attachments, i.e. rear on the bottom, front on the side. I find it causes a twisting effect when slung. Second, the bottom position is really bad if you are trying to shoot with the shotgun still slung. Shooting and reloading with the shotty still slung allows you to quickly go hands free and transition to a handgun if necessary. Finally, in the classes I've taken, and intend to take in the future, African carry isn't allowed for range safety reasons.

With the sidesaddle ammo card, it does cause the gun to rotate out just a little bit, but acceptable. I find that having the forward sling point way out front makes the sling tend to slip so it is hanging around the neck rather than under the left arm. But because it's shouldered and I'm shooting, not slinging, it isn't an issue. When I drop the muzzle down and out of the shoulder, it slips under the left arm with only a very tiny effort. If it doesn't and I've had to quickly transition to my handgun, it still works. I can still African carry, if I cinch down on the sling. It isn't quite as comfortable as it would be if I used the QD point on the bottom, but that would require using a different sling mount. I haven't explored the option of removing the bottom QD mount and installing a cup. I've got to research and really thank about that one as I'll have damaged the stock if it doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    I did not consider the length of my allen wrench before selecting the location of the mount and drilling my hole. Keep in mind that you do not have complete access to the entire inside of the stock. There is actually only a small rectangular opening from the rear. Because it was very difficult to get the wrench into the set screws and then only being able to turn them maybe 10 degrees of rotation.
    Did you consider the Noveske flush QD? It tightens from the outside and the nut on the inside locks into the stock so you don’t need any wrench on the inside of the stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Did you consider the Noveske flush QD? It tightens from the outside and the nut on the inside locks into the stock so you don’t need any wrench on the inside of the stock.
    I dd not. That would have been a better choice by far.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast