Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol for HD?

Feedback Score

AR Pistol for HD?

I currently have a DD 16.5 5.56 with T1 and light as primary HD and BCM 11.3 AR 5.56 pistol with Sig Brace and light as backup HD (different room). I carry Glock 9 or 40 for CCW. I was wondering is their any reason that a dedicated pistol AR in 9 or 40 would be useful. If I did either would use Glock mags since I have a ton and would set it up with T1 and light. Is this a tactical need or just a want lol? Any advantage of pistol AR in 9 vs 40 using Glock mags?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It really sounds like you have it all covered. The 5.56 is generally preferred for use indoors now for people concerned wit over penetration as opposed to pistols. So if you want something else to play with go for it but you are covered HD wise it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Based on what you laid out, no. The 11.3 (11.5?) BCM is a far better HD gun.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Based on what you laid out, no. The 11.3 (11.5?) BCM is a far better HD gun.
    Better than the 16.5 DD? Why? I love the 11.3 BCM but the sound level is a good bit louder than than the 16.5 (I've never shot the AR pistol indoors but it seems like it would be a LOT indoors). If you were referring to it vs the Pistol AR in 9 or 40 that was what I was thinking as well and why I haven't added a pistol caliber AR. I love shooting but use all my guns (no collector pieces) .. I need a role or purpose for them or don't purchase (I may be weird in this need to have a purpose in it)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The 16 is good too, I think he means the BCM because the length is more suited for CQB but you can clear a house with a 16 inch. I put together a 11.5 pistol because I moved in to a smaller home with a bigger yard. So it moves well in the small inside and gives better use at distance than a my Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I just meant compared to an AR pistol in 9 or 40. The 16 would be better for a few reasons as long as you don't feel hampered when moving with it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    A couple of things:

The research I’ve seen on 223/556 penetration being less than pistol calibers was pretty dated. Is it still the same with barrier blind ammunition and bonded bullets?

One option to purchasing a PCC would be to purchase a few pairs of electronic ear pro to keep with your HD guns.

Finally, PCCs are fun to shoot and, in the right package, much smaller than even the 11.5” BCM which may be better in confined spaces if that is a concern for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    A couple of things:

The research I’ve seen on 223/556 penetration being less than pistol calibers was pretty dated. Is it still the same with barrier blind ammunition and bonded bullets?

One option to purchasing a PCC would be to purchase a few pairs of electronic ear pro to keep with your HD guns.

Finally, PCCs are fun to shoot and, in the right package, much smaller than even the 11.5” BCM which may be better in confined spaces if that is a concern for you.
    Yes I have a pair of Pelltor Tactical Pro ear muffs that I love and keep next to my bed. If possible I'd always want those as they amplify regular sound and block loud noises. But can't be sure they would be accessible in an unknown HD situation.

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong with buying/building an AR pistol in 9mm or .40. Either would be better than a handgun for home defense.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Nothing wrong with buying/building an AR pistol in 9mm or .40. Either would be better than a handgun for home defense.
    Can you expand on that? I agree, but would like to hear your reasons.

Andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast