Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol for HD?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Nothing wrong with buying/building an AR pistol in 9mm or .40. Either would be better than a handgun for home defense.
    What's considered the best AR pistol that takes Glock mags? What barrel length is optimal? I'm leaning towards 9mm over the 40

Feedback Score

AR Pistol for HD?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Can you expand on that? I agree, but would like to hear your reasons.

Andy
    I have several in 300 AAC/Blackout, 45 ACP, 9 mm and 5.56 mm.

Personally, I like the ability to suppress the pistol calibers and 300 AAC/Blackout. All are outfitted with a red dot and light. Recoil is less than from a conventional handgun.

Out of a 7 inch barrel for my 45 ACP, it remains subsonic but it adds 100-150 FPS of velocity.

I don’t recall my barrel length on the 9 mm. However, it is longer than my typical Glock pistols and remains subsonic with a suppressor.

Both of these would be tolerable even without a suppressor, in the defensive application.

Also, I have 33 round extended 9 mm and 20 plus round 45 ACP mags.

With that said, I have a 5.56 mm AR Pistol set up for HD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 04-24-20 at 06:31.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^

Not to mention that hit probability goes WAY up with a shoulder fired weapon, for all but a very few.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Can you expand on that? I agree, but would like to hear your reasons.

Andy
    I thought that it would be self explanatory? Longer barrel for an AR pistol means a faster moving round (9mm and .40) with more energy. An AR pistol with brace means a more stable platform that translates into more accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    What's considered the best AR pistol that takes Glock mags? What barrel length is optimal? I'm leaning towards 9mm over the 40
    I can't tell you what would be the best, but if you look at manufacturers with good reps, then you will likely find a quality pistol. DD, BCM, etc. I have a JR Carbine 9mm carbine that takes glock mags. This is not a pistol obviously as it has a 16" barrel. Super fun to shoot, accurate out to 100 yards and can be converted into .40 or .45 with a barrel and BCG change.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^

Not to mention that hit probability goes WAY up with a shoulder fired weapon, for all but a very few.
    That is the biggest advantage that came to mind for me.

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've got a CMMG Banshee 8" AR9 with a Holosun 510C. I've put more than 1000 rounds thru it and never had any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use as a HD weapon but it stays in the safe most of the time of the size. A small pistol is still better to be stored in a small safe than a AR9 for me since I have small kids around. Having it exposed might seem too much Or I'd have to take it out every night and put it back in the morning.

My hit ratio with the Banshee is definitely much better than a 9mm pistol for sure and 33rd mag is no joke either.

My friends have Foxtrot Mike AR9 in both 5" and 8" with side charger. Both run with no issues as well.

Feedback Score
    Arken makes an excellent point about storage; when our daughter was small, the housegun lived in a Simplex-locked box.
    It is tough to secure any sort of PCC, tho' a CZ Scorpion folds down to a remarkably short package. Hits with a carbine, especially under stress, are easier than with a pistol. Yeah, the Scorp requires proprietary magazines, but they're cheap and available.
    PCCs in 9mm offer the advantages of cheap ammo, tho' in a service caliber, and the ability to shoot them in ranges that forbid 5.56.
    BTW, you fellers who want to clear your own house, go in peace, serve the Lord, and good luck.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know. I've gotta go against the tide on this. I don't think that any firearm that requires two hands to handle is a good idea for home defense. I mean, it would be fine for warding off someone trying to get in, but laying in bed asleep and being awakened because two guys just broke in and you can hear them downstairs. You have no idea where they are. You have to sweep, if you're gonna go looking for them because you have others in the house that you need to protect. Come around a corner, one bad guy grabs the weapon and points the barrel away from him. His buddy comes running when he hears the struggle. Now, you aren't fighting them, you're just fighting to keep your weapon away from them.

In the same scenario, if you were armed with a handgun, you come around the corner, the guy makes a grab for you, you push him away with your free hand and put a pair in him. Eh, what could/might/will happen. Who knows?

Feedback Score
    The advice we give to our handgun class students is simple enough. If something goes bump in the night, but it isn't really suspicious, take your pistol and flashlight and have a careful looksee.
    If you're fairly certain that an 'undocumented visitor' is in the house, get you and yours in a tight corner that's easy to defend, and call the cops. It is a judgement call.
    But remember what they say about lawyers who represent themselves?
    I concur that a handgun is much handier for the looksee thing. A carbine is a better choice in the case of widespread civil disruption, where you may have to fend for yourself for awhile. If it's really going to be a fight, get a long gun. That's when the carbines come out of the cruiser, for the same reason.
    Moon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast