Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on "mouse gun"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having owned a bunch of J frames I can't for the life of me see how they're concealable when talking about pocket/bug guns. Thick and take up similar space as a Glock 19!

When looking for a pocket gun I bought a SW 642 and a Ruger LCP. Recoil is about the same, LCP is smaller, much, much thinner, carries more ammo, easier to reload, more comfortable to hold and actually fits in my pocket without being obvious. Neither have me any reliability issues. Sold the S&W

Feedback Score
    Thanks very much for the insight, advice and recommendations. It sounds like the consensus is .380 lacks the power - even though we'll all agree the key is hitting the right spot. I had hoped that modern bullet design and powders would produce an effective smaller pistol. No arguing with Physics, though. The most practical solution, not involving changing over equipment, is Uni-Vibe's "wear baggy pants." This all started with my wife wanting me to wear tighter jeans. Also, I'm in between sizes - 36 slides down, 34 is too tight - no size 35. My usual "uniform" is jeans with a Columbia fishing shirt hanging outside. Lots of conceal options there - usually a 1911 commander IWB, has a officer frame so the grip doesn't print. My smaller pistol, which will fit in a pocket will print in the jeans under the right circumstances. But, that shirt outside helps that. The real issue arises when I have the shirt tucked in, with obvious results. So, the solution appears to be cargo pants (which I prefer anyway), and keep what equipment I have, saving $, because I know I'd lose money trading. Caliber? .45acp.

Thanks again, guys.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    Thanks very much for the insight, advice and recommendations. It sounds like the consensus is .380 lacks the power - even though we'll all agree the key is hitting the right spot. I had hoped that modern bullet design and powders would produce an effective smaller pistol. No arguing with Physics, though. The most practical solution, not involving changing over equipment, is Uni-Vibe's "wear baggy pants." This all started with my wife wanting me to wear tighter jeans. Also, I'm in between sizes - 36 slides down, 34 is too tight - no size 35. My usual "uniform" is jeans with a Columbia fishing shirt hanging outside. Lots of conceal options there - usually a 1911 commander IWB, has a officer frame so the grip doesn't print. My smaller pistol, which will fit in a pocket will print in the jeans under the right circumstances. But, that shirt outside helps that. The real issue arises when I have the shirt tucked in, with obvious results. So, the solution appears to be cargo pants (which I prefer anyway), and keep what equipment I have, saving $, because I know I'd lose money trading. Caliber? .45acp.

Thanks again, guys.
    I have the same problem with jean size. What I found works is 36 with stretch waist and an IWB holster for a G19.

Feedback Score

The real issue arises when I have the shirt tucked in, with obvious results.
    There are, of course, IWB holsters which allow you to tuck in your shirt over the gun. It still requires a looser fitting shirt, but it's an option to consider.

Griff

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd like advice from LEOs or others with experience with street perps. Yes, for personal defense. I can shoot fairly well, but I'm looking for effectiveness I can carry. I'm not a police officer, so I won't be running towards gunfire with more firepower, rather heading the other way. Used to be my slogan, "I'll show them how fast an old guy can run." Knee issues and, I used to be younger, come into play. My main question is whether a .380acp pistol can do the job. I have a .45, but it can't fit a pocket without printing, especially in Summer weight clothing in FL; also, it doesn't help that there's a 7 in front of my age. Sure, when something is happening, one would like a 16" naval rifle, but they're too heavy. So, I'm thinking of getting something smaller, which I can pocket carry without printing, that in the unfortunate extreme can stop an attacker with proper shot placement. Not looking for heroics here, if I can get away I will. But, if trapped.... I'm thinking of less recoil for a follow up shot. I'm looking at things like the Ruger LCP II, Smith Bodyguard, even a PPK. I'd appreciate any experienced comments.
    A few thoughts:
    Any gun in a centerfire cartridge is better than no gun as it gives you options.
    It depends "what the job is" in terms of getting it done. Do you want to fight off 4 or 5 armed attackers----if so the 380 pocket guns are sub-optimal. Do you want to defend yourself against a meth/crack head/drunk with a knife or some other deadly instrument -- it'll probably work with shot placement and smart tactics.

As to the cartridge itself; there's a lot of bad loads but some decent ones as well when fired from mouse guns. My personal favorite is anything with the XTP bullet (in 380 only) but here's how some do:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A "not so good" option IMO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lots of data/options at the 9:57 mark and on:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The gun you have in a gunfight is the one that might save your life. If all you can carry is a .380 or 38 Special then carry it. My second gun (BUG or Back Up Gun) is an LCP 1 .380. It's my last choice / chance pistol. I prefer to carry a G19 however, I've also have a G43, P365 and Shield 2.0. I can shoot the lights out with any of them but I prefer bigger (G19 size) when possible. The key to survival is to practice with your carry piece and your BUG until it's second nature. i.e. you don't have to think about it - it just happens. Good luck!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whenever I can, I carry a Smith M&P9.

When I can't carry M&P, i.e. summer time casual clothes, I carry a Sig P365.

When I can't carry P365, i.e. athletic activities, it's a Ruger LCP .380.

1. In most situations, a gun is a gun.

2. Any gun is better than no gun.

3. .380 is still better than .22, .25.

4. The problem with weaker calibers is lack of penetration, not expansion. Carry 95 grain FMJ.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks again, guys.
    I’m in that same pant size situation, there are companies making size 35 pants, look into KUHL and Wrangler selections specifically to see if that fits your style/needs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast