Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon CFE 223

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is my go to powder for 55-64 grain 5.56 loads. Meters easily and consistently.

Feedback Score
    I have been reloading like it's my job, all in 55 gr projectiles but doing 10% increases from minimum. Now I need to find some 77 gr projectiles and do a little comparison with the IMI 77gr factory stuff I have in inventory. Range time has been limited here open/close etc Virginia who would have thought, never mind the next belongs in another thread. WV is always an option I guess.

Feedback Score
    I've tried it but prefer H-335 and H-322 for 55 grain. I use CFE 223 along with BL-C (2) for 62 and 70 grain.

Feedback Score
    I use it behind 55gr ball and 55gr Nosler BT with decent results, and 69gr and 77gr SMK with very very satisfactory performance. It does better with heavy bullets at near max loads, but will give more than adequate results with lighter bullets. So far my loads have indicated it does not like to be run with light loads.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I use it behind 55gr ball and 55gr Nosler BT with decent results, and 69gr and 77gr SMK with very very satisfactory performance. It does better with heavy bullets at near max loads, but will give more than adequate results with lighter bullets. So far my loads have indicated it does not like to be run with light loads.
    What velocity are you getting with the SMK loads?

Feedback Score
    I don’t have a chronograph, and haven’t put them over one of my friends chronographs. Sorry not much help.

I can say the predicted velocity of the 69gr and 77gr loads tracks pretty well with the BDC on my old NXS 1-4X24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1147 View Post
    Now I need to find some 77 gr projectiles and do a little comparison with the IMI 77gr factory stuff I have in inventory.
    I was able to exactly duplicate IMI 77gr. Razor Core by using 2000MR.

Hornady brass, CCI BR4 primer, 26.5gr 2000MR, with a 77gr SMK bullet seated to the top of cannelure.

BCM 16” 1-8 twist stainless barrel.

Got 2707 fps today with an SD of 10 out of my handloads.

Factory IMI did 2710 fps with SD of 16.

Point of impact at 50 and 100 was exact.

It was pretty hot here today, CFE 223 showed signs of being VERY temperature sensitive. Be warned. One day CFE223 can be producing great groups, the next day group size could double.

Feedback Score
    I've had good accuracy and it's pretty clean burning while also being versatile,have used for 223,308 and its also pretty well regarded amongst the grendel crowd. Just wish I could find more of it,everywhere sold out would get another 2 lbs without hesitation.

Feedback Score
    CFE is good for hoser ammo.

I find TAC is better to replicate MK262s.

AR-Comp is a accurate powder but you will give up some velocity for that accuracy.

CFE Pistol, I like that one for 124 JHP and 115 JHP. Much cleaner than titegroup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    CFE is good for hoser ammo.

I find TAC is better to replicate MK262s.
    This. CFE is dirty (carbon) as hell too and you have to really ride the edge of max on the load to get results and velocity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast