Thread: S&W 610

Feedback Score

S&W 610

I am a fan of the 10 mm auto cartridge, I have 2 Colt Delta Elite, a G20 and a formerly NIB S&W 1006, so I really needed a S&W 610 revolver. In fact I’ve been wanting one for a long time but they seem to be quite rare here in Switzerland

I recently got a call from a gentleman who contacted me 1 1/2 years ago. He had one for sale then, but it was heavily customised for IPSC, quick release, different sights, dozens of moon clips, case etc, and it was expensive at 2 grands so I politely declined.

He was kind enough to me call again to advise me that an LGS has four for sale, two 5’’ and two 6.5’’. I thought that was a great gesture.

Price was $ 1000, which I think is quite reasonable. I chose a 5’’ and I received it yesterday.

Very nice gun in great condition, I don’t think it fired much. Forcing cone is like new and there’s no flame cutting, merely a discolouration. It has a wide target hammer and a wide smooth trigger

Being a N frame it’s a heavy gun with a big cylinder and the round butt with the narrow bottomed combat grip feels odd to me, it accentuates the nose heavy feeling.

So I found a N square combat grip in my stash and it feels a lot better ... except for the gap at the bottom.

Now the challenge here (Switzerland) is finding moon clips.

I guess I can test fire the gun without them and eject the spent cases with a rod ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good question. Drop a cartridge in the chamber, if it stops with the rim exposed then there's a good chance there is a shoulder to support the cartridge and it should fire. My old Colt 1917 .45 ACP will do that.

Feedback Score
    It works

I managed to give it a quick test run at the range, rapid DA fire at close range (abt 7 m) center mass shots (head shots was my buddy in SA slow fire).

Great gun, I’m super happy

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Norma🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻
    Nice revolver!

Feedback Score
    Pristine is the word. Very nice.
    And for some reason the only other 610s I've ever seen had unfluted cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post

I had a similar gap situation on a Model 29 where target grips for a square-butt were put onto a round-butt frame. I found it pretty simple to make a wedge that fills the space. The wedge is glued to the right grip panel, extends the width of the frame to meet the left grip panel and matches the contours of the grips. I just had to decide how thin to allow the top of the wedge to be since it essentially tapers away to nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Pristine is the word. Very nice.
    And for some reason the only other 610s I've ever seen had unfluted cylinders.

I had a similar gap situation on a Model 29 where target grips for a square-butt were put onto a round-butt frame. I found it pretty simple to make a wedge that fills the space. The wedge is glued to the right grip panel, extends the width of the frame to meet the left grip panel and matches the contours of the grips. I just had to decide how thin to allow the top of the wedge to be since it essentially tapers away to nothing.
    Thanks. I actually tried exactly that, making a wedge with the right contour and gluing it to the right panel. I gave up after an hour, I don’t have enough talent as a wood maker, a man’s gotta know his limitations. I was thinking about 1 mm wide at the top.

I’ll find a pro to do it for me.