Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the point of the .357 Sig?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In my HKP2000 .357 Sig, I use Double Tap's 125gr Speer Gold Dot round which leaves the muzzle at a true 1400+ fps, clearly .357 Magnum revolver velocity.

Texas DPS uses this caliber in the Sig platform and praises its performance--especially its ability to penetrate windshield glass.

Feedback Score
    if you build it they will come...
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The 357SIG/Auto does what most everything else does, at a higher price point, with greater maintenance issues, and diminished shooter performance.

Like most other calibers, there's little compelling argument for it.
    +1. I found that out the hard way. I owned 8 different 357 sig pistols.I sold them all. I like 45's and 9mm's now.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    In my HKP2000 .357 Sig, I use Double Tap's 125gr Speer Gold Dot round which leaves the muzzle at a true 1400+ fps, clearly .357 Magnum revolver velocity.

Texas DPS uses this caliber in the Sig platform and praises its performance--especially its ability to penetrate windshield glass.
    The ability to penetrate windshields is more a function of load selection than caliber selection.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I consider the round to be the 9MM Magnum. maybe faster than some of the +P+ rounds, slower than the .357Magnum, depending on the individual gun and barrel length they are fired in, but I like it because the case and guns it is fired in are DESIGNED for the higher pressures of the round.

while a lot of the 9MM guns are approved for +P rounds, there is no SAAMI spec for +P+. take that for what it's worth...
    Actually most 357 sigs are simply 9mm's with an enlarged breach face and a different barrel and magazine. A 9mm that is fed a steady diet of +p+ ammo will last longer than a 357 sig fed a steady diet of full power 357 sig ammo.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Actually most 357 sigs are simply 9mm's with an enlarged breach face and a different barrel and magazine. A 9mm that is fed a steady diet of +p+ ammo will last longer than a 357 sig fed a steady diet of full power 357 sig ammo.
    Pat
    And how do you account for the substantially beefed up slide mass on .357 SIG pistols that is usually built for heavy .40 bullets?....and the stiffer recoil spring rates? .357 SIG is meant to be shot in the pistols in which it is chambered. 9mm +P+ almost always results in measurably higher slide velocity that what the pistol was designed for. Your statement makes little sense.

Any .357 SIG loading can achieve 9mm +P+ velocities with equivalent bullet weights at a LOWER pressure....add that to increased slide mass and stiffer recoil springs and it will almost certainly outlast a 9mm, period. Glocks may be an exception as there is little difference in slide mass and spring rates between the two....and thus don't last as long in .40/.357 SIG.

Tim

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    357 Sig is the product of Law Enforcement Officer involved shooting statistics… Looking at the raw data from a huge number of recorded OISs throughout the entire country, spanning several decades, showed one thing… That is; when a LEO is shooting at a human being, a .357 caliber projectile, weighing 125+/- grains, traveling at 1250+/- feet per second, has by far the greatest number of recorded single shot kills…

With that in mind, the USSS lead the charge to the 357 Sig for executive protection. They were looking for a handgun that will stack the odds in their favor…

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The 357SIG/Auto does what most everything else does, at a higher price point, with greater maintenance issues, and diminished shooter performance.

Like most other calibers, there's little compelling argument for it.
    well, actually the 357SIG is cheaper per 50rd. than .45ACP and about the same as .40S&W in JHP quality commercial ammo. in FMJ, the .357 is about a dollar more but still cheaper than .45.

in firearms designed for the round, such as the SIG P229, there are no greater maintenance issues - certainly none over the .40S&W in the same firearm.

while it does have somewhat more muzzle blast over other rounds, particularly the 9MM, and in some cases the .40, actual recoil is less than then the most common loadings of the .40. and while everyone acknowledges this is a trade-off to using the .40, no one uses it as a condemnation of the round. it has its uses and its compromises, just like any round.

I will also say that any round of same caliber and weight, fired at the same velocity will exhibit similar perceived recoil, so the idea that 9MM +P+ is somehow more manageable than 357SIG doesn't hold water - apples to apples and all that.

however, I understand that perceived recoil is what we are talking about and some shooters will feel differently about either round based on their level of experience and comfort. diminished shooter performance in this case would only be relative to the 9MM standard loadings.

so all in all, I view the comments of those who condemn the round just like those of its most stringent fans - the truth is somewhere in the middle. long story short, it's a viable round for those who want to use it for its strengths and are willing to accept its shortcomings.

Feedback Score
    I am still under the opinion that shot placement is the key along with multiple shots. Any 9mm, .357 sig, .40 S&W or .45ACP will do the job with good bullet design and proper placement. Statistics make for discussion - marketing makes for choices for you - caliber makes arguements - feeling confident in your ability and your sidearm makes success and survival.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    "This is the .357 Sig, the most powerful handgun in the world! Since it would probably blow your head clear off, ........The question you gotta ask yourself....... Is do I feel lucky?.........Well, do ya?.....Punk!"
    "....merely owning a rifle, no more makes you a rifleman, than having a piano makes you a musician!"--Col. Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast