Thread: Searching for a .45 Colt Carbine

Feedback Score

Searching for a .45 Colt Carbine

Had my heart set on a Miroku/Winchester 92 until I discovered they were made of unobtanium.
    I'm looking for alternatives, either another 92 clone, or perhaps a Winchester 73, unless those are also not to be had.
    Open to suggestions, tho' I do want to add a tang sight.
    Forty five isn't carved in stone, a .357/.38 remains a possibility as well.
    Suggestions and sources?
    Thnx,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    How about a Marlin 1894? I’m partial to the Marlin solid type design for mounting optics.

Feedback Score
    My 'deer rifle' for 35 years has been a .44 Mag Marlin; at woods ranges the thing is a hammer, and has humanely taken many deer. My daughter took a deer with it; it does indeed wear a scope.
    But don't especially want to go the Marlin route for this, and a tang sight is the only thing of interest.
    Thnx,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I would take a look at the Henry Big Boy Steel. Then add this sight of you want something a bit better than the factory buckhorn setup.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/hen...af-peep-sights

Feedback Score
    I've had a passing look at Henrys, and maybe need to look some more. Not keen on loading it thru' the magazine tube, tho' I think they have a version with gate loading.
    If yinz aren't familiar with tang sights, they go on the tang of the stock and offer an aperture ('peep') sight. Selleck in Quigley famously used an elaborate tang sight on a Sharps, but simpler ones are available for carbines. I have other tang sights, including one on a Rossi clone of a Winchester pump 'gallery gun'. It makes for a fast and accurate sight picture, especially for we codgers who can't see regular open iron sights.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Years ago I ran across a clean Beretta Lightning .45lc used in a pawn shop for a grand. Probably overpriced but I’m a sucker for pumps and wasn’t aware the Taurus Thunderbolt was gone by then.
    Today I think Henry is your best bet for a new production pistol carbine.
    Old Marlins are great but Marlin’s had so many bad years you have to do your research. Marlin was bouncing back but I heard the guy who was turning things around is now gone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Skinner Sights makes a good peep sight for lever action rifles. I've had good luck with buying from them over the years.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Regarding tang sights, I've had good luck with Lyman and Marbles. Right now I have a Marbles for a '92 that I ordered when I thot' a local shop could get me a Miroku/Winchester version. It's wonderfully made, and is adjustable for windage, but I've got to return it. Ordered one for a '73 in the meantime; local shop feels getting one shouldn't be an issue.
    Yeah, Marlin made a nice rifle, and no complaints about my .44. Deer hunting isn't much in my world anymore, but it's not going anywhere anyway. Good guns with a history are worth keeping.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was in the LGS for a good while waiting on my "instant" check and was looking at a 16" stainless Rossi M92. I couldn't work the action but the fit and finish is much better than my older .357 Rossi.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-01-20 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    Andy, I handled a stainless Rossi in the shop that is getting the '73. It was the wrong caliber, and had too much barrel, for my taste, but it was nicely made and worked smoothly. I may consider one for a '92 down the road.
    BTW, the Rossi 'gallery gun' I mentioned above is beautifully blued and really a handsome little gun. A buddy calls it 'the gun that won't let you miss'. The tang sight on that is a 19th century Lyman, a gift from the junk box of a late buddy.
    Moon