Thread: Current leader in short cans?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Current leader in short cans?

It's been a long time since I bought a new suppressor and am now looking for a new one. Top priorities are something short and light with a good QD attachment system. No direct thread.

This will live on a 10.3" barrel AR.

I currently have a Surefire SOCOM Mini RC1, the original ancient version, that I really like. It's on an 11.5" AR so I'm well aware of the shortcomings of short cans on short barrels. I already know it's still very loud and have realistic expectations.

I was about to just buy the newer RC2 and call it a day, but I would like to check out some other options first. Cost is not a factor with this.

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Sticking with Surefire makes a lot of sense, due to mounts. However, some newer options worth considering are Rex Silentium MG7k and MGx, and the YHM Turbo K. Unfortunately, mine are still in purgatory, so I can’t say anything personally except that they look and feel top notch and are very light. The YHM has a vented blast baffle like the NT4 and Surefire, so I’m hoping it won’t be too gassy. The MG7k has keyhole clips, so same hopes apply. These cans have very positive reviews on the interwebz. They both use modular mounts, but that won’t help you if you are married to Surefire (or KAC, or AAC, or Griffin Gate Lok, etc).

What I can give personal experience with (for less known short cans) is my Griffin M4SDk. I like it enough that I’ve ordered a 30SDk as a companion. I dig the A2 mount, and at ~5.75” long, its just long enough to be effective. Not a 5” nor a 6.5” can. Its a little gassier than the NT4, but lighter, shorter, and as good or better sound attenuation.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-05-20 at 05:29.

Feedback Score
    I currently have the 556mini2 on a 11.5 as well.
    I am planning on other cans for multiple setups and decided on keymount.
    If I didnt need stuff surefire didnt offer, I might stick with surefire.

-Deleted incorrect info-
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-27-20 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would stick with Surefire. With minis IMO it all comes down to weight and the qd systems. Surefire is going to be better than most in the qd
    department and you can swap stuff around with your existing mounts.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I love my KAC QDC CQB 556 can. Better attachment than my SF Minis and better tone. Also KAC makes good muzzle devices.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I love my KAC QDC CQB 556 can. Better attachment than my SF Minis and better tone. Also KAC makes good muzzle devices.
    Based on pretty much everything I can find, KAC > SureFire > all others for best all around. But that "best" is more subjective than with some other things. In this case, the KACs will give up some sound suppression and be far more expensive, but it wins for mounting system and POI impact, durability, blowback, flash suppression, and first round pop.

Granted almost all of this is second hand. I have a few mags through an AAC-2000 and two full auto/burst mag dumps through a KAC CQB - both of which were years ago.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    YHM Turbo K deserves a look. Uses the relatively "standard" mount thread pitch that many others use. I have used it with their factory mount as well as Dead Air KeyMo. It's a short, light, good sounding can that also happens to be very affordable.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Make sure the Dead Air Sandman-K is part of your research.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Based on pretty much everything I can find, KAC > SureFire > all others for best all around. But that "best" is more subjective than with some other things. In this case, the KACs will give up some sound suppression and be far more expensive, but it wins for mounting system and POI impact, durability, blowback, flash suppression, and first round pop.

Granted almost all of this is second hand. I have a few mags through an AAC-2000 and two full auto/burst mag dumps through a KAC CQB - both of which were years ago.
    All of this. I own lots of NFA items. Including multiple RC2s. MINI 2s, QDCs, QDC CQBs, Sandman S, Sandman K, Sico etc... The KAC cans are the best traditional baffle stack can for my needs on the market currently. I define my needs as flash suppression, durability, POI shift, Back Pressure Control, and Attachment/Muzzle Devices. Yes they are expensive, but you get an attachment method thats better than dead air, less poi than SF, Better tone than SF, muzzle devices that are on par with SF when used without a can, same durability, and better back pressure control.

I love the sandman series. You can't beat them if you want to only run 1 rifle can across 300bo, 308, and 556. However in my experience a dedicated 556 can will serve you better in the long run.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a Surefire MINI SOCOM, and MINI SOCOM 2. I find them very over-gassed. I just really am kindof "over it" with mini cans, and as such purchased a KAC QDC (fullsize). It has not cleared yet, so no experience to relate. I DO know that weapons which are reliable with fullsize cans that I have, are unreliable with my SF Mini's. The cycle too rapidly with some ammo that on semi-auto, I get malfunctions from them after a few rounds and the rate speeds up.

I have found the brake to be the least-sticky of the Surefire mounts.

I hope with the KAC to cure my stuck Surefire, as well as backpressure from mini's, issues.

If you care about literally nothing but money and sound, though, in a mini can, I hear the YHM Turbo K is pretty much unbeatable.