Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a "Budget" optic not made in China that uses Aimpoint Micro mounts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Your signature:
    "Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Type-7 FFL/SOT-2, 100% original design, 100% manufactured in-house, 100% performance-guaranteed!"

How ironic.
    I am not tracking.
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    I am not tracking.
    You really don't see the irony of posting "Stop caring WHERE it's made" when your signature touts the fact that your products are manufactured in house?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-09-20 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    You really don't see the irony of posting "Stop caring WHERE it's made" when your signature touts the fact that your products are manufactured in house?

Andy
    LOLOL

Is that really what you guys are hung up on? I was expecting something more...

To be honest, no I really don't see any irony. The benefit of making products in-house has nothing to do with location; it has to do with control. It really wouldn't matter if we move our facility from Ohio to Iowa or to Pakistan, it would still be "in-house". Instead, "in-house" are more commonly translated to better quality products. For example, our light body's "blade" thickness is spec'ed at 3.85mm +/-0.05mm. Most job-shops (especially American job-shops) would happily ship us finished products all the way up to 3.90mm because that's still within spec. But we would usually start at exactly 3.85mm and change out our finish end-mill once it crept up to 3.87/3.88mm due to tool wear. When you do things in-house, you are less likely to nickle-and-dime yourself. Replacing a $80 end-mill is a small cost to pay in exchange for quality, but most job-shops don't think that way. That's why we like to keep productions in-house.

Of course that's not iron-clad rules; PA and Apple both makes really good products and they are heavily outsourced. In contrast, Aero Precision and Holosun are great examples of in-house productions done right, by delivering top-notch products while still be able to price them competitively.

I hope that's been educational... But since it bothered you, I went ahead and "fixed" our signature for'ya. Happy?

VT
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    LOLOL

Is that really what you guys are hung up on? I was expecting something more...

I hope that's been educational... But since it bothered you, I went ahead and "fixed" our signature for'ya. Happy?

VT
    I honestly think we were both just busting your chops, nothing wrong with your profile or the point you were making, even if we don't all agree with you.

If we all agreed on every point, the board would be pretty boring.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I honestly think we were both just busting your chops, nothing wrong with your profile or the point you were making, even if we don't all agree with you.

If we all agreed on every point, the board would be pretty boring.

Andy
    Noted and I apologize if the explanation was unnecessary!! In a perfect world we would want to make everything we needed right here in America, and still be able to make them better AND cheaper than China (or Taiwan or India or wherever). But that day isn't here yet... and until then, honest discussion of different approaches, backed with logic and reasoning, is why we come to forums. (Oh and to sell stuff too, although I've been failing miserably at it. lol)

Cheers!

VT

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The day we blindly submit to "American Made" is the day our country stop innovating. And once we settled for subpar products because of ideology, our country as a whole will fall behind the rest of the world and cease to be the world leader.
    The criteria is not "American Made", the criteria is "Not Chinese Made".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The criteria is not "American Made", the criteria is "Not Chinese Made".
    That was said in conjunction of "American companies' marketing budgets", but I do apologize for going off topic.

The box of my Vortex Venom says Philippines, however it's not T-1 footprint and doesn't have the ruggedness of T-1 style enclosed optics. I will see if I can find more old boxes of all the random optics we have in the office.

VT

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 is a solid "Not Made In China" budget optic, made in the Vortex Factory in the PI. It has survived thus far on a couple of AR15s and is now going to get tested on the SCAR17 SBR. Only 50 or so rounds on the SCAR but seems to be fine. It's 85% of the Razor Gen II-E at 50% of the price, IMO.

Japanese Weavers were also very nice for Rimfire or even AR15s. I have two of their 4x28 Rimfires, a 2-7x28 Rimfire, and a Classic-V Series 1-3x20. For the <$200 they cost before being discontinued, they punch well above their price point. Sadly it looks like Weaver moved all production to China.

PI made Burris optics are also very clear and nice. Not as Tactical as some of the Vortex offerings, but the glass is very nice for the price. I have a Droptine and Timberline on CZ rimfire bolt actions - had some debris in the Droptine after a drop out of the safe (OUCH) - Burris took it back, cleaned, purged, and checked it at no cost. Works fine.

ETA - Of course none of these are RDS or Aimpoint compatible. But there are solid optical choices outside of Chinesium Made. Honestly if you want a 'budget' RDS, I suggest going back to a new build Eotech 512/518 or a Trijicon MRO.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 05-10-20 at 10:02. Reason: Added ETA

Feedback Score
    If anyone is looking for at least an American assembled red dot. PA had the Romeo 6 for $299 with a $40 gift certificate. Assuming some uses sourced from China but so least US assembled. 30mm site looks similar in size to Aimpoint pro

https://www.primaryarms.com/sig-saue...15_MemorialPT2
    Last edited by everready73; 05-21-20 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Am I the only one that finds it funny SIG, PA, and others copy Aimpoint / Eotech shamelessly?

Romeo 4/5 = Aimpoint Micro
    Romeo 6 = Aimpoint Pro
    Romeo 7 = Aimpoint Comp M4
    Romeo 8 = Eotech

Not a bad deal on the Romeo 6, but I think they discontinued them - likely because many people preferred to buy the real thing at the initial price point of $400 ish.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast