Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 15 SP1 Questions

Feedback Score

AR 15 SP1 Questions

0429201206_HDR[19318].jpg

I have an AR15 SP 1, serial number 213XXX. It is odd to me because I have not seen an SP1 with a delta ring and a newer ejection port cover. Does any one have information on the date of the rifle? Are the newer A2 parts because it is a late production?0429201206a_HDR[19319].jpg

Feedback Score
    I have not seen a SP1 with Colt A2 parts either. i have 3 SP1 's and none of them have the updated parts. did you buy it second hand ? Seems to me that maybe some one did a barrel change or something and must have installed the A2 parts.. eagle20

Feedback Score
    I bought it used. The funny thing is 20 + years later I met the original owner at the same pawn shop. He was sorry he sold it, he bought it new and did no changes to it. He only shot 2 mags through it. It would be more work than necessary to change the barrel and also the dust cover. I have been told it is a late model SP 1 toward the end of the SP 1s.

Feedback Score
    I took a look and found this info .. click on the link it is intersting ..explains why your rifle would have the newer parts ..colt would use up old parts before using new ones ..so they must have run out of the old style ejection port doors and delta rings and put the newer style on the rifle you have.. pretty wild ..

https://looserounds.com/2020/02/10/t...0-r6401-r6500/

Feedback Score
    Yeah, but it makes sense. It does have the a pencil barrel and a triangle front handguard cap. I have not found any pics of a rifle with the characteristics of mine. Thanks for the link though.

Feedback Score
    I have never seen one like yours either..it is very unique ..it is a keeper .. for sure .. an valuable .. LOL now your going to have me looking to see if i ever come across one like it..

Feedback Score
    LOL.. It must be a late production. I should get around to contacting Colt. I have been told it is an 83-85. If so that puts it towards the end of SP1s. I know the guy who pawned it was sorry, but he isn't an AR guy.

Feedback Score
    Here check out this Colt barrel i have ..it is a Gov't profile 1/12 twist.. instead of the usual 1/7 twist ..have had it for years..and its brand new

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-M16-A2/page2
    Last edited by eagle20; 06-02-20 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    Cool. Since moving to FL ,have used all my Govt parts for my AR builds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle20 View Post
    Here check out this Colt barrel i have ..it is a Gov't profile 1/12 twist.. instead of the usual 1/7 twist ..have had it for years..and its brand new

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-M16-A2/page2
    That is weird. Have you checked to see if it really is 1/12?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast