Thread: LMT MWS Cut Barrel

Feedback Score

LMT MWS Cut Barrel

I appreciate all the information that is available here. This is a huge asset. I’ve had my MWS 7.62 for about a year now. It is a 16 inch chrome lined barrel. I’ve been shooting 168 gr Hornady Black and am honestly shocked at the accuracy at 400 yards which is the longest I’ve been able to shoot. I’m about to purchase an OSS suppressor for it. I will be having d.wilson do a cut pin and weld adapter when it is time.
    I’m wondering what barrel to cut?
    SS tend to be more accurate. Faster twist stabilizes heavier/slower bullets. Longer chamber to gas port length (should?)increase dwell time and help accuracy and reduce back pressure.
    Im going to ask LMT what the chamber to gas block distances are of the 18 and 20 inch barrels. I’d like to still keep the block inside the handguard.
    End goal being the most accurate barrel, lowest back pressure, and able to stabilize a wide range of bullets. Might as well ask for perfection and hope I land close to it, right?
    I appreciate the honest feedback.

In full disclosure I was in the industry for about 13 years.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Are you looking to get a second barrel to chop down for use with the suppressor?

Isn't the whole allure of the OSS being minimal back pressure, so no gas system changes required?

If using the OSS, why bother with a modified barrel?

If using a modified barrel, why bother with the OSS?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Clint,
    Yes, a second barrel for the suppressor.
    Yes, the OSS allure is as you state.
    To reduce the overall length of the entire system.
    To have the shortest overall length and the reduced back pressure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want the shortest overall length then the 16” cut down to approx 13.5” is the ticket and has been discussed at length here. I should note that my 13.5” will not cycle without the suppressor.

Also dwell time has nothing to do with chamber to gas port length. Dwell time is the time that the bullet passes the gas port until it exits the barrel. Decrease dwell and decrease the time the gas has to act on the system.
    Last edited by lahunter57; 04-29-20 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the education and insight. It is much appreciated.