Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-10x vs 1-6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

1-10x vs 1-6

So, I have a little change to spend. I am struggling on my decision of which direction to go and maybe someone can offer some thoughts.

My current setup is I have an 18" SPR with a 4-16x, a lightweight build 16" with a ta31, and a 10.5" with a MRO( I mostly run this suppressed)

The longest range I have access to is 400 yrds, and I very rarely get to shoot at that range. Also in my AO, 400 is about max your going to run into anyway as it is hilly and dense forest.

So I am considering purchasing the vortex 1-10x. It is a lot of coin for me. The acog is the most expensive optic I have ever purchased. If I bought the 10x, I would probably eliminate the SPR, because it mostly collects dust, and in reality, my 16" with the 1-10x could probably fill all my needs considering the ranges I shoot at.

That being said, for about the same coin I could get a 1-6 (either razor or PST) and build another upper. (I've always wanted to do a 12.5).

Anyway, I am just looking for insight from fellow shooters.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A 1-6X on your 16” to 400 will fill 98.3% of your needs.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Are you looking to shoot groups a lot or just steel/silhouettes?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I will say that for real use, I found the 10 power very useful at target identification over the 6 power.

For range work, as someone asked is the mission shooting smallest possible group out to your 400 yards or you banging steel.

If your banging steel, I would say go for the 6 power and a new upper.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Not all magnification is created equal. I'll take a Schmidt & Bender 8x over a NF NXS 10x or a Bushnell 12x all day.

Here's a basic formula that helps guys with buying...adding on to 1x per 100 yards with a caveat:

#100 yards / Target size in MOA = ballpark minimum magnification.

Say I'm shooting a big ol 2 MOA target at 800y, I can see it and engage it with a 4x magnification
    Say I'm shooting a 1/2 MOA target at 800y, I may need the finer details and per the above, 16x is more appropriate.

What you shoot is as important as how far you shoot .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For LPVO's I have found that the specs can be a little misleading. One of my buddies has ZERO experience behind one and he keeps showing me a model that "has the best features" and when I actually look at said optic I always say the same thing: "Your gonna spend A LOT of money to get an unbalanced optic". In my opinion LPVO's do best when they are well rounded. I think 6x top end is plenty for shooting 400 yards. My Steiner P4Xi does that pretty regularly and its only a 4x top end.

The G3 rzr has clear glass and good eye relief; I just think its reticles leave it as a 1x or 8-10x optic. It doesn't seem to do much in the 3-7 range which is where I spend most of my time. The higher the magnification the less field of view, which makes it less ideal for shooting medium distances. The RZR g3 also lacks parallax adjustment and the turrets one would want for a true precision optic. So at the end of the day its: Almost like an aim point at 1x, but leaves the intermediate to ACOG's and other LPVO's, but can go as far as a precision optic, but isn't. I personally think the G3 is most suited for a do-it-all AR10 and the G2 is more of the general purpose 556 optic with the JM1 reticle. I would look hard at sigs tango 6 line up as well.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A 1-6X on your 16” to 400 will fill 98.3% of your needs.
    Your AO sounds EXACTLY like mine, and I'm running a 1x6 on MY SPR. I have 5 AR's, so I wanna keep my SPR. You oughta keep yours, and get a few more carbines or mid-lengths to supplement!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    For a 400 yds and in LPV, *I* still prefer my second focal plane, 16.9 ounce, K16i, with it's generous eye box and it's huge field of view. If I would need past 400 yds capability very often, *I* would have chosen the 4.6 oz heavier, 21.5 oz Vortex Gen 3 Razor 1-10X, LPV. *I* would also probably put it on at least a 16 inch barreled rifle. I bought a Kahles 16i new around three months ago, for $1719. *delivered* and no sales tax from sportoptics.com . I use it on a 12.5” barreled SBR.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-30-20 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    All good points.

I occasionally shoot for tiny groups. That is about all the usey SPR gets because anything else, I would rather use my 16".

I actually really love my acog. I have flirted with the various LPVO for a while, and always go back to it because it's lightweight and simple, and I have gotten very good with it even within 25 yrds.

There are a few things I don't like about the acog though. My particular reticle (horseshoe) works great for speed, but it's not the best for groups. At only 4x sometimes it leaves me wanting at the further distances with things like target i. D.

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards buying a 6x and building a 12.5 upper and just playing with that setup. If I love it, I will keep it, if not, I will move on.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You still haven't specified what you are doing with the optic. Shooting what at 400 yards? Paper? Steel? People?

Get as close to the definition of what are you are going to be using the optic for. If its in the realm of possibility you need to take a shot at a partially obscured bad guy hiding in the garden section of the Walmart from the grocery section, then yes the added capability of the 1-10x is probably worth the extra $ spent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast