Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1-10x vs 1-6

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    As with all things optics, "it depends..." is a very important consideration.

I know putting your scope on jacks is the tactic-cool think to do today, but I've found that heavier optics, placed higher on a rifle can have more effect than just the # of ounces - they can change the center of balance of the rifle, not so much forward to aft, but side to side when making lateral transitions. So often you don't know this until you feel it but it is something you may feel / consider when you get the rifle off a bipod and shoot standing / moving / etc.

Not saying there aren't legitimate reasons to have a high scope (mainly to clear mission critical accessories like IR lasers, etc) but don't be a lemming and blindly buy XYZ just because everyone else is.
    To be clear, I was only talking about Badger C1 mounts and gave mine (just so happens is 1.93) as an example. Mount height is up to him and his needs.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I ordered a c1 1.70 . I like that height with red dots, so I figured I would give it a try. Time will tell.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yup, I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    If shaving weight is a priority, Aero Precision's 34mm mount is only 4.1 oz... Granted there are some reports of them breaking, but most are due to user-errors (over-torquing the screws putting excess stress on the top hook).

Also, the combined weight of an Aero 30mm mount plus an offset RMR mount is only 3.8 oz... I would imagine similar setup using their 34mm rings could be in the 4.5 oz range. That's a lot of weight savings over a similar Badger Ordnance setup. I am not saying Badger mounts are not good mounts, they are definitely solid and designed to survive any war zone. You just need to decide which is more important - weight savings vs. ruggedness.

VT
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    If shaving weight is a priority, Aero Precision's 34mm mount is only 4.1 oz... Granted there are some reports of them breaking, but most are due to user-errors (over-torquing the screws putting excess stress on the top hook).

Also, the combined weight of an Aero 30mm mount plus an offset RMR mount is only 3.8 oz... I would imagine similar setup using their 34mm rings could be in the 4.5 oz range. That's a lot of weight savings over a similar Badger Ordnance setup. I am not saying Badger mounts are not good mounts, they are definitely solid and designed to survive any war zone. You just need to decide which is more important - weight savings vs. ruggedness.

VT
    I have used the aero before. If weight savings is the ultimate goal I think they are the best option and they are certainly affordable.

I wanted something a little more rugged though. And the badger only come in at about 2oz more, but seems to be a huge jump in ruggedness, and it is very modular.

If I ever get into nods, I might want to piggy back a rds and that appears to be very easy with the badger. There seems to be one downside though, and that is that it hurt my wallet.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    The Badger C1 is one of the best things going now. Multiple heights...cant options for the precision stuff and open modularity options for RDS and other accessories. Simple like the Geissele's but with the versatility of the SPUHR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    I wanted something a little more rugged though.
    Oh yeah, strength definitely isn't a battle the Aero was designed to win... I think we both agree it's by no means "weak", but certainly not as strong as the Badger.

Just keep in mind you can piggyback RDS on the Aero mount too, with significantly more RDS choices than what Badger offers.

VT

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    The Badger C1 is one of the best things going now. Multiple heights...cant options for the precision stuff and open modularity options for RDS and other accessories. Simple like the Geissele's but with the versatility of the SPUHR
    I'll tell you one thing I wonder about the Badger C1 is the offset RDS mounting to the scope mount - I know it's splitting hairs but both optics are now beholden to the single mount. Which is obviously the case with any 'piggy back' setup like Reptilia / Valhalla / etc, but most 'offsets' have been directly attached to the top rail, giving some redundancy if the scope / mount takes the hit (or vice versa).

Again, splitting hairs but something that stood out for me (in addition to all the screws one must attach for a C1 mount - arm to the mount, adaptor to the arm, RDS to the adaptor). Its a great solution but certainly has lots of pieces.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I'll tell you one thing I wonder about the Badger C1 is the offset RDS mounting to the scope mount - I know it's splitting hairs but both optics are now beholden to the single mount. Which is obviously the case with any 'piggy back' setup like Reptilia / Valhalla / etc, but most 'offsets' have been directly attached to the top rail, giving some redundancy if the scope / mount takes the hit (or vice versa).

Again, splitting hairs but something that stood out for me (in addition to all the screws one must attach for a C1 mount - arm to the mount, adaptor to the arm, RDS to the adaptor). Its a great solution but certainly has lots of pieces.
    I’ve wondered about that too but the feel of the mount caused me not to overthink it. I’d be super interested to see testing, but it feels solid enough that I’m willing to risk it. While it does have a lot of screws, it’s modularity is huge and I’ve never felt like any part couldn’t take a beating. At some point I want to test RTZ on the offset, just haven’t gotten to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I went with the C1 due to weight and the ability to run piggyback for passive IR aiming. If I were running offset MRDS I’d likely go with a stand-alone mount. I’m sure it’d be fine, but I have the same thoughts as Rhino. Either way you’re starting with a lighter main optic mount to offset the weight of your secondary setup.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast