Thread: 10.5" Pistol Build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

10.5" Pistol Build

I'm new here and am just jumping right in...

I put this together in the last couple of weeks and have spent the last week changing this and that until I wound up with something that I like...https://photos.app.goo.gl/1YL2f1nXbwBk3Amc7

From top to bottom...
    1. Kaw Valley magnum linear comp - I went with the magnum because they're made of steel instead of aluminum. I tried an A2 comp, which did too much and actually pushed the muzzle down and it was ungodly loud. The Kaw Valley makes it less loud for ME.

2. Ballistic Advantage 10.5" barrel - This I had to try. It takes some nuts to sell a barrel at these prices and guarantee sub MOA accuracy. I haven't shot any really good ammo out of it yet, but it'll kill the heck out of golf balls at 100 yards with M193.

3. 3CRTactical low profile adjustable gas block - in it's former iteration, I was running a Yankee Hill flip up sight/gas block, but decided to go a different route with the handguard. I ran across 3CRTactical and they had a steel, adjustable, low profile gas block for $25. I just had to order it and see. What do you know, it works, and well.

4. The front sight is just some cheap flip up I had laying around. I have a MagPul coming in.

5. MagPul forward grip - you know why

6. STNGR free float tube - another company I ran across that has a direct sales model. They tout "cut out the middle man." Well, I checked their stuff out and it looked good. It looked even better when I got it. The model I got is call the "VLCN" and I got it for $145 shipped. It took three days to get it from the time I ordered it. Made in Texas, steel barrel nut, easy install and nothing to time. This was the most expensive of the 10" models too. All 8 surfaces have M-Lok cuts, but there aren't any sharp edges. It's very comfortable and very slim.

7. Sig Romeo4T - I've always gone Aimpoint or ACOG, but I thought I'd give this a try. It seems better built than their other red dots. 7075 instead of 6061, IPX8 water resistance rating and it came with a lot of amenities and a lifetime warranty. We'll see how it goes. I also have a Vortex 1-4X PST that I'm gonna switch back and forth with for when I need to shoot at small stuff.

8. Rear sight is a Magpul flipup - they are light and they work.

9. Standard charging handle - I just don't find the bigger ones to be any faster or offer any advantages, although I am considering some sort of ambi setup.

10. The upper is a Daniel Defense - I've had this upper for over ten years and it's seen many forms. Nice tight fit with the barrel extension, as long as the extension is in spec, and the rail is true. I can sight in on one position and move to another and it's still sighted in.

11. The lower is a Spike's Tactical - it's as good as any other (holes the right sizes and in the right places) and it was just sitting there calling to me when I walked into a LGS. It's about time I did something with it. It was all blacked out, but I added some color fill using Plastidip. I just thought the "No Pew," "Pew" and "Pew Pew Pew" needed an accent.

12. The lower parts kit is Strike Industries - I got it on sale at Joe Bob's Outfitters for $46 and it included a nice bolt release and ambi safety. I also really liked the take down and pivot pin plungers that came with the kit and the pins themselves add a little something to the look. Overall a very nice LPK and is a step above others for the price.

13. The trigger is a Geissele SSA-E - if you've shot one, you know why. If you haven't, you should try one. Best $200 on the whole gun.

14. Grip is a MagPul K2. I like the grip angle and am now considering the K2+. I understand it's straighter. I have short arms and the straighter the better. It feels more like a straight back pull and doesn't fatigue my wrist.

15. Brace and buffer tube is an SBA3 kit. On sale at Primary Arms for like $100. Good deal. I was running an SBA Mini with the dedicated Phase 5 Hex tube and loved it. I actually like it more than the SBA3, but I needed the little extra length when I go prone, so the SBA3 is has to be.

16. The buffer is a standard carbine buffer. Since I went with an adjustable gas block, I don't need the heavy buffer, although I was running a Spike's ST-T2 buffer before the adjustable gas block.

17. BCG is BCM. They have good ones. Not the only good ones, but BCM is my goto for BCGs and small replacement part.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 04-30-20 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    I'm new here and am just jumping right in...

I put this together in the last couple of weeks and have spent the last week changing this and that until I wound up with something that I like...https://photos.app.goo.gl/1YL2f1nXbwBk3Amc7
    Did you try to use the image tag for your pic so the pic would show up in your post? Just curious. Also is there a reason your rear buis is so close to your optic?
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Did you try to use the image tag for your pic so the pic would show up in your post? Just curious. Also is there a reason your rear buis is so close to your optic?
    Yeah, I need to get a new image host. The one I'm using doesn't support embedding.

My rear bus is that close because I shoot better with it in that position. I can be more precise. Honestly, I would have had it in front of the red dot, but I wasn't going to move the red dot back and obscure more of my view for the sake of the back up. On rigs that I have open sights only, I have the rear sight as far forward on the rail of the upper as I can get it. I just find that it's faster and more precise.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Astigmatism causes RDs to look like a comet or Super Nova for me.

I run rear BUIS next to RD and use small aperture as a diopter. It cleans up Dot and sight picture at cost of darkening image a bit.

C070A321-613D-4AC3-9F88-60E9C4E6C7E3.jpg
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Good looking build!

A couple FYIs:
    1. The standard Kaw Valley linear comp is nitride steel

14. A Magpul K2+ is a "rubber" covered K2 grip - dimensions are the same

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Good looking build!

A couple FYIs:
    1. The standard Kaw Valley linear comp is nitride steel

14. A Magpul K2+ is a "rubber" covered K2 grip - dimensions are the same

Andy
    Man, I don't know why I was thinking that they were made of aluminum.

As for the K2+, I was pretty sure that they had a different angle on them, but it's a non issue now. I'm thinking that the BCM Mod 2 is going to be the way to go when I do switch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just an update...I made a few changes to the build. After having shot it a bunch and trying different things...https://photos.app.goo.gl/3a3XfAPxvXycMuqZ8

I got rid of the 10.5 in favor of an 11.3" Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel with .625 journal. The 11.3 weighs an ounce more than the 10.5, but it feel lighter and swings easier due to the distribution of the weight on the barrel. It also shoots smoother. I got rid of the adjustable gas block and am running an H2 buffer with a milspec spring. It shoots very well.

I swapped the K2 grip for a BCM Mod 3. I like it. It's more comfortable.

I also decided to keep the optics simple. Sig Romeo4T on a Geissele 1.93 mount.

I also added an extended mag release button. I have short fingers. While I was at it, I threw on a BAD lever. I really like it. It helped shave a couple of tenths off of my reload time, but the big thing is being able to lock the bolt back without changing hands.

I still haven't settled on a muzzle device. I have a J-comp and I love the way that shoots, but man, it's like a bomb going off everytime I pull the trigger. I ordered a 6315 from Forward Controls Design, spent a day with it and sold it. It didn't do anything for me that an A2 won't do. I found a used BCM Gunfighter Comp on an EE. I'm gonna give that a try. It's supposed to be not as blasty as most brakes and still does a pretty good job of flash suppression.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 06-15-20 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Nice work on the updates.

I had the exact same barrel (awesome) and for a short time, the exact same muzzle device. You are correct...that thing made recoil/muzzle rise feel nonexistent, but it was brutal. Quickly sold it off, due to that rifle being intended for interior work. An A2 replaced it until I sold off the upper (somewhat regret that). On my other SBR, I have come to love the Surefire Warcomp. Check that out if you are looking for some sort of muzzle device that does more than reduce flash.

Good move on the gas block change, too.

I used to use the BAD Lever, but eventually found it unnecessary for my purposes. Combined with safety concerns, I also sold that off.

I’d be interested to hear your ongoing experience with the Romeo 4T.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I thought about a warcomp, but i have a couple of things bouncing around in my head regarding a suppressor and the warcomp is kind of expensive for a temporary fix.

I’m gonna try the BCM Gunfighter for a while and see how it works out.

As for the 4T, it’s really nice. I just can’t comment about its reliability because it hasn’t been long enough. I can say that Sig’s customer service is class A. I bought mine used on ebay and had a problem with it. Sig said to send it in. Just the optic. No accessories. Two weeks later i had a brand new, in the box with accessories 4T.

BTW, the problem i had was that one of the steel thread inserts backed out when i was changing the mount.