Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on suppressors

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)

Need advice on suppressors

Please help. I've made the decision to buy my first suppressor, and have secured the needed funds. I am overwhelmed by all the options out there, and have been using the search function extensively. The primary use of the can will be to go on my home defense 12.5" carbine gas BCM upper, so that I don't blow my and the family's eardrums out if I ever touch it off indoors. An added bonus would be if I could occasionally switch it to a 16" ar308 from time to time.

Cost is not really a huge factor, but if I can keep the cost of the can to $1k or less, that would be great. A bigger factor would be length and weight, since the 12.5" is my primary, but I frequently shoot a 6920 as well.

I dont have the ability to shoot a bunch of cans to see which sounds best to me.

Any particular reason to choose Surefire over Dead Air or Silencerco?

Would I regret going with something like a Turbo K?

Is it stupid to get a 30 cal can with my application? The 308 is purely for fun, the 5.56 guns are the ones I train with and take to classes.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get. What's the 6920 or BCM equivalent in suppressors?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Your feeling are normal.

You've made the first step, which is great.

There are many more factors than just dB reduction, such as weight, mount system and POA/POI repeatability.

These threads are good reads if you haven't seen them already.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-info-opinions

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Bore-Diameters

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ecommendations

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ion-Technology

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...24-Suppressors
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure how much difference a .223 can over a .308 can will be for supersonic .223/5.56. A .308 can will give you more use between your platforms. .085” is not a huge difference in diameter. I know for some .223/5.56 cans you have a minimum barrel length requirement.

Most of my cans are Silencerco and I am pleased with them. You should be able to get a good .308 can for under 1k and be able to check all your requirements.

Feedback Score
    So it sounds like your priorities are:
    Length
    Weight
    Durability
    Sound

Correct?

Ideal would be a mini556 can and an s 308. A small 556 can on the 12.5 would be a great setup.

If you want 1 can, an s 308 can (voxs, sandman s, etc) would be a good all-around for you.
    As said, the mount is a big factor. You want repeatedly and robustness.

If you are doing high-volume shooting, stick with 17-4, inconel, and/or stellite, and stay away from Ti.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-01-20 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    So it sounds like your priorities are:
    Length
    Weight
    Durability
    Sound

Correct?

Ideal would be a mini556 can and an s 308. A small 556 can on the 12.5 would be a great setup.

If you want 1 can, an s 308 can (voxs, sandman s, etc) would be a good all-around for you.
    As said, the mount is a big factor. You want repeatedly and robustness.

If you are doing high-volume shooting, stick with 17-4, inconel, and/or stellite, and stay away from Ti.
    You are correct on my priorities. Sandman S is the one I am leaning towards. Not familiar with Vox, will look at that too. Any others I should consider in that category?

Thank you all for the responses and recommendations.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Sounds like the plan will be to go with an S size can to begin with, and then add a mini 556.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    If you are looking for one can for both, I would go with the new nomad and save some weight. Especially if you use a Cherry bomb mount. Its almost the exact same length as the sandman S with the cherry bomb and plan b. If money isn't a problem, I would go with a KAC QDC CQB in 556, KAC mams, and still grab the nomad for your 308.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Not sure how much difference a .223 can over a .308 can will be for supersonic .223/5.56. A .308 can will give you more use between your platforms. .085” is not a huge difference in diameter.
    The geometry that makes a difference is area of the bore, not diameter. And its a pretty large difference. Also, .308 cans tend to be longer and heavier than their .223 counterparts.

OP,
    For your first, I would look at a .30 can that can work well on both rifles. A good mounting system is key. The two Dead Air cans mentioned are good options. The Nomad gives you flexibility on mounts in the future, and the Sandman S comes with one of the best mounts available. Additionally, they both have swappable endcaps for you to play with. Some guys leave the .30 ones on, some swap them back and forth.

Also look at the YHM .30 cans, and the Rex Silentium cans. These are on the less expensive end. The YHM mount is also one of the best, speaking of YHM. Of course the newer modular cans will do whatever mount.

When looking at modular can length, remember that QD mounts add a little over an inch of added length. The thread-onto-a-taper mounts like Griffin and Q’s add close to zero.

If you’re ready to just pick one and get the wait started, go with the Sandman S. It comes with a .30 brake. Buy a Forward Controls Design 1815km https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...x28_p_191.html for your 5.56 gun.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The geometry that makes a difference is area of the bore, not diameter. And its a pretty large difference. Also, .308 cans tend to be longer and heavier than their .223 counterparts.

OP,
    For your first, I would look at a .30 can that can work well on both rifles. A good mounting system is key. The two Dead Air cans mentioned are good options. The Nomad gives you flexibility on mounts in the future, and the Sandman S comes with one of the best mounts available. Additionally, they both have swappable endcaps for you to play with. Some guys leave the .30 ones on, some swap them back and forth.

Also look at the YHM .30 cans, and the Rex Silentium cans. These are on the less expensive end. The YHM mount is also one of the best, speaking of YHM. Of course the newer modular cans will do whatever mount.

When looking at modular can length, remember that QD mounts add a little over an inch of added length. The thread-onto-a-taper mounts like Griffin and Q’s add close to zero.

If you’re ready to just pick one and get the wait started, go with the Sandman S. It comes with a .30 brake. Buy a Forward Controls Design 1815km https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...x28_p_191.html for your 5.56 gun.
    Excellent, thank you

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Hypothetically, if 308 is out of the equation, shooting only 5.56/.223, and you were limited to one can, would you go with a sandman S size can or K size can?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast