Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 77 OTM Nosler CC Fragmentation

Feedback Score

77 OTM Nosler CC Fragmentation

Anybody know what the current 77 Nosler CC fragment threshold velocity is? I believe it been reported that they frag at slower speeds than the 77 SMKs.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLB View Post
    Anybody know what the current 77 Nosler CC fragment threshold velocity is? I believe it been reported that they frag at slower speeds than the 77 SMKs.
    Never heard of these. Same accuracy as a SMK? If so they sound awesome.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Same fragmentation velocity, it just has better terminal ballistics than the SMK. It acts more like 75gr hornady in terms of terminal ballistics.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I literally just went back to this thread earlier today because I was trying to remember what Molon was saying IRT 77gr Nosler CC being on par with the Hornady 75gr TAP T2. Looks like my memory wasn’t far off and the terminal ballistics should be better than SMK (probably marginally)...as vicious states above.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Nosler-vs-SMK

It’s been my go to round for 77gr OTM for a while now. Cheaper than SMK, better terminal ballistics, and accuracy right about the same.

ETA: Not sure I’ve seen a frag threshold for it. What is SMK? 2200?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-03-20 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I believe they used to use the J4 jacket which is thinner and likely how they got the rep to fragment better but it appears they no longer use this jacket material which is a bummer. Current production I would think fragment no better than SMK's as far as performance and not as good as TSMK's, but they do so at a much better price.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-04-20 at 08:12.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    I’ve seen reports of 2150-2200 for 77s. Not sure if the SMK and Nosler are the same with fragging. That speed would put me at about 50 yards with my 10.3” barrel.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I believe they used to use the J4 jacket which is thinner and likely how they got the rep to fragment better but it appears they no longer use this jacket material which is a bummer. Current production I would think fragment no better than SMK's as far as performance and not as good as TSMK's, but they do so at a much better price.
    Where did you see that they changed the jacket material? And when did they switch?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I’ve seen reports of 2150-2200 for 77s. Not sure if the SMK and Nosler are the same with fragging. That speed would put me at about 50 yards with my 10.3” barrel.
    Yup. 12.5” should get you out past 100. Which is part of why I went 12.5”.

Look into a bonded soft point if you stick with 10.5”

And that’s not to say the 77gr OTM won’t do damage past 50yds either. There’s been plenty of accounts of it being effective from 10.5” all the way out to 600yds.

Feedback Score
    Yep when it’s in the house I like the 77s when it rides with me in the truck it has the 62 gold dots.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep when it’s in the house I like the 77s when it rides with me in the truck it has the 62 gold dots.
    That's not a bad formula... Assuming any POI shift is accounted for.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast