Thread: 45 Colt Carbine Recoil

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

45 Colt Carbine Recoil

I don't want to derail the other .45 Colt carbine thread so started this one.

My wife owns and loves a stainless Ruger New Vaquero (small frame) in .45 Colt. Today I was admiring a stainless Rossi M92 in the LGS and thinking it would make a nice companion for her six gun and her birthday is fast approaching.

My only concern is recoil - my wife can shoot my .357 Rossi all day without discomfort but finds a Win 30-30 brutal. She flipped me the bird when I asked her if she wanted to shot my 45-70.

Does anyone have both .45 and .357 carbines? How does the recoil compare? Keep in mind the Vaquero is limited to loads safe for a Colt or S&W, so we won't be pushing it.

Thanks
    Andy

Feedback Score
    I can't say I have fired a carbine, but .45 Colt is a softer shooter than .357 mag in any of the pistols I have fired in both calibers. Not by a ton, but noticeable side by side.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've owned several of both over the years. As long as you stick to factory loads that are standard pressure she'll probably prefer it to the .357. When I was using them I was primarily using them for southern whitetails in the woods. I very much preferred the heavy loaded .45 for that task. I too have always liked having the same cartridges in pistol and carbines for some uses.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks. Her New Vaquero isn't made for heavy loads, so I would stick with the standard 250 gr RNFP over 8 grains of Unique or a bit less Universal.

Andy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I don't want to derail the other .45 Colt carbine thread so started this one.

My wife owns and loves a stainless Ruger New Vaquero (small frame) in .45 Colt. Today I was admiring a stainless Rossi M92 in the LGS and thinking it would make a nice companion for her six gun and her birthday is fast approaching.

My only concern is recoil - my wife can shoot my .357 Rossi all day without discomfort but finds a Win 30-30 brutal. She flipped me the bird when I asked her if she wanted to shot my 45-70.

Does anyone have both .45 and .357 carbines? How does the recoil compare? Keep in mind the Vaquero is limited to loads safe for a Colt or S&W, so we won't be pushing it.

Thanks
    Andy

I had the opportunity to run a .45/.454 lever carbine one day and quite enjoyed it. The .454 Casull loads were not bad at all, either. I'm sure with the proper .45 Colt loading, for her, it would be quite manageable, not to mention enjoyable.

Keith

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just bought a 45 colt Winchester 94. Recoil is negligible. Maybe like a .30 cal M1 carbine?

Feedback Score
    Likely depends on the load level to a certain degree, tho' a Marlin 94 in .44 Mag didn't faze my 95lb daughter when she took a deer with it.
    Took a fat doe with a Winchester 94 and a 1000'sec .45 Colt load, and 800'sec Cowboy loads are fun...use Trailboss, works great, meters great, and fills the case. I have data if you wish.
    Moon
    ETA-Have either of you tried a tang sight?
    M
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 07-31-20 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Could she shoot 38's in the 357 model? If so...

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Could she shoot 38's in the 357 model? If so...

PB
    Sounds like a good idea, PB.
    That surely bears checking; an old Rossi .22 pump of mine shoots everything from CB Caps to Long Rifles. But it isn't a given; that Colt/Uberti Lightning I was sniffing after specifically said .357s.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have Rossi and Marlin 357s. 38spl is a pussycat from a carbine and 357 is pretty mild. I was trying to get an idea how a 45 carbine recoil compares to a 357.

I have shelved the .45 carbine idea for now, I'm busy catching up with a ton of other work.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-11-20 at 11:52.